Questions and Suggestions

Noctere
Coder

Questions and Suggestions

Post by Noctere »

Hello everyone it's Noctere, your friendly neighborhood GM. I have noticed that we have been a little slow as of late so I thought I would pose a few questions.

#1 What do you think would make you want to stick around more often or what would get you excited to come back to the game?
#2 When you do play, what do you like to do for fun? i.e. You log on and think to yourself, THIS is what I want to do.
#3 If you had the power to add just one thing to the game, what would it be? Something general like, a new ability, a new mechanic, a new NPC, a new guild, a new area or something else?
#4 What is your one biggest gripe about CLOK?
#5 What is the one thing you like the most about CLOK?
#6 If you could improve one thing in the game what would it be?
It's not easy being evil...
Kiyaani

Re: Questions and Suggestions

Post by Kiyaani »

I'll throw in my 2-cents here, as someone who's been playing less often lately, and hope others will as well.

1) Other people being around. When I login and see I'm one of only 2-3 people online, or the only person online, part of me wants to stay logged in to see if it encourages others to join, and part of me wants to go find something else to do. Usually the second part wins out. I know, I'm horrible. I realize that makes me part of the problem. But that's how it is lately - especially as I feel directionless with my character. It's hard to be proactive about things without any kind of feedback (see below), or goals in mind.

2) RP, events, tasks (not guild ones, but things to work towards an objective) - I'm not someone who likes to grind skill and that's what most people seem to do with their free time in CLOK while waiting for other stuff to happen. So if there's not a lot going on, I tend to idle hoping for some RP to happen, try to make RP happen by inviting people for food or similar things, or just logout. Lately it's logout.

3) It would be nice to have someone re-implement the lost lands newspaper or some other means of permanent lore/events learning in-game to catch people up on past and current events in the case no one is around to catch people up via RP. It used to be that GMs would post blurbs on the BBS summarizing major events that would be considered common knowledge. Even something as simple as having an NPC in every inn that you could "ask about current events" or "ask about history of the area" would be fantastic. They could just have a few responses to each question and those responses could be added to or updated over time. We have a rumor system that works well for some things, but having some way to quickly get caught up without having to sit in an inn for hours would be a benefit. These could be more factual or biased based on location rather than rumors or stray thoughts you overhear. I realize people may object to this since it takes away from opportunities to RP, but I think if implemented properly it could actually encourage people to stick around and interact more. If they hear someone did "x", or "y" happened at "z" place, it might spark interest to explore or inquire further. Meanwhile, it gives people much-needed information in case no one around can or will share anything - and that then encourages further activity too.

4) Not enough transparency/interaction/feedback. Those of us who have been around for a while know that GMs are often present in some way, but it's discouraging to never hear anything about forums posts, or to not get responses to in-game correspondence, rituals, or thoughts. I know there's a disclaimer saying not everything will get a response. I understand why that is. I also know silence isn't always the case, but it seems to be a precursor to lulls like we're having now. Those few times these last 12 months or so where Jirato has really taken the time to post responses on the board to mass amounts of threads have been fantastic. I'm sure those took a lot of time and thought to do. But if there's feedback more consistently and more often, it will be less of a burden overall and will encourage players to keep going. And that feedback can come from players or staff. Just any acknowledgment is a good thing.

5) The thing I love most about Clok is the stories. I got hooked on this game initially because I was immediately drawn into a major event and then the stories and events kept expanding and becoming more epic from there. Of course, not all of them have ended well for my characters, and some of them have been overly drawn out, but when they finally did end, they never ceased to impress despite the outcomes. Lately there are a few big things going on, but so much time between updates or movement that people forget, become discouraged, or lose interest. I realize it's not easy to come up with event ideas or to know how to progress something without moving too quickly or burning out, but even little things like the aforementioned responding to rituals or letters, having NPCs show up and give updates, even just having random interjections over the network, keep players engaged and interested.

6) This may seem like a small thing, but I would say the biggest improvement would be to really look at and adjust people's guild standings, reputations, or faction affiliations. People have been doing things and consequences and rewards seem few and far between. Some people may be trying to improve standing in their guild to unlock features, or trying to gain access to certain areas of a town via RP and general donations etc. It's not really an "improvement" I suppose, but it's something I feel the GMs should be more aware of. It would help people feel like their actions mattered.

Hope that helps, Noccy. Thanks for the genuine interest :)
Tamsin

Post by Tamsin »

Last edited by Tamsin on Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I was just answering all the questions in order, so that's why I used the numbers. :P

I do agree that sometimes consequences or potential consequences seem to affect someone's RP. I've run into characters who would attack me without a second thought normally, but because I was in a town they decided not to do anything. I've also had someone take shots at me *in* a town intentionally and the interaction was much more rewarding both because it was rare/unexpected, and because they owned up to it and accepted the consequences. And access restrictions definitely suck, even if you anticipate them and are prepared. I think a lot of people lost access to Mistral Lake with all the dominion activity lately and figured it would be an event lasting a few months to a year, but it's turned into a much longer commitment to lose access to the amenities of such a major "neutral" town. That too might be part of the lull.
Lassyn

Post by Lassyn »

Great responses from both of you. I was brought in to do some little event things, so you can expect (hopefully) to see things ramping up soon in a variety of ways. I like my big plots, but I'll go ahead and let you in on a secret: my "favorite thing to do in CLOK" is to rp with players. So if I see a player on, and I'm on, I'll try to come play with you. Even if it's a little thing (hound watering the cobblestones).
Unfortunately, my coming back just happened to occur right before a MASSIVE project became due at work. Said project is due tomorrow, and your friendly neighborhood Lassyn is running on minimal sleep and maximum coffee. I'll be back as soon as my toes stop vibrating so I can walk over and punch the wall for making rude hand gestures.
Seriously though, your concerns are valid. I'm sorry. And I, personally, look forward to gassing this puppy back up and getting her on the road again.
PS: Just so everyone knows, I won't be around as much as I was last spring. Work is much crazier so I can't do my typical gming-constantly-while-working-on-other-things shtick. But I'll be here. And I've got plans. :P
Lassyn

Post by Lassyn »

And my second post. (Sorryy, sorry sorry).
If there's an event you've been stalled at, or a letter you're waiting for a response to, or anything like that, please shoot me a message on the bbs. Think of this as your DM saying "I have a major plan for the next few sessions, but what little events/locations have you seen that you want to see more of, and is there anything you're still waiting on." Of course I can't promise anything, but knowledge is power, and I'm weaker than a rooted infested carrier.
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

#1 Recently, it's been pretty much me online alone. I keep coming back because this is a game I can play with half my attention on it whilst writing my essays or working. It also means I can play my character as a nosy bugger and get her involved if something comes into play, either gossip on the ESP or an event of some kind happening. I also stay logged in to try encourage others to do the same. Time difference and my work shifts can mean I'm here at unusual hours to "normal" but what can you do?

#2 I like to RP when I'm logged in. Lately, due to the lul, I've been seeing how quick I can raise X skill, which also suits for if RP that my character isn't particularly interested in is happening or if work/education means I can't commit to the game as much as I'd like to.

#3 I'll second Kiyaani's idea here with an NPC you can directly ask about rumours or history. Not too much detail, but something that could spark a question or a conversation with other players, like "I heard a canim was spotted trying to get into Haiban!" and such.

#4 My biggest gripe personally is how willing people are to give information out OOC that could be asked about IC. Like the location of towns or shops as a small example. I feel it takes away a chance to RP with others, perhaps meet up with another player and get more help than you expected. If no-one answers IC, *then* ask OOC, maybe someone from the discord server could help out. Harsh, maybe, but that's my gripe.

#5 Again, I'm the same as Kiyaani here. I love the stories, either GM run or player run. How Akila developed to what she became was amazing to play through and will always stick with me, even if she is semi-retired now. Being encouraged to develop a character with GM interaction is a bonus, but ultimately I wrote Akila's story, and I look forward to writing another.

#6 I can't think of what to write here, so I'll leave it blank until I think of something!
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

1) People and progress in plots.
2) RP and plots. Grinding to try and fill the time between "stuff" happening.
3) "things" progressing more frequently or more documentation.
4) "things" requiring a particular GM being around and having time and documentation.
5) The world and the fact that if said GM is around, it feels responsive.
6) I'm not sure, honestly. I may be at the point where I rely too much on staff to provide hooks for my character. I'm sure not everyone else in that situation due to a variety of reasons, and that maybe I'm too demanding on that front. When there are players about, there is a lot of RP, conflict, and little stories going on that don't require any other input in any other way which is how it should be. So, with that in mind that main thing I'd like to see is better PR. Sometimes I feel like you guys take one step forward, then two steps back in regards to players.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen staff that are FAR worse than you guys. Far, far, far worse, but for whatever reasons those games have had higher populations. One or two people going, "Meh" and leaving is no big deal. For Clok? That hurts. You guys are pretty much gold when it comes to Staff and mudding, but at the end of the day... people have feelings.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Zahrah

Post by Zahrah »

(deleted)
Last edited by Zahrah on Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
[FROM Zeldryn (OOC)]: You're a fucking amazing RPer. +1000

Dorn bluntly asks, "And does it appear I have a wagon in my pocket?"
You quip, "It would honestly not surprise me if you did."

You notice a horribly disfigured squirrel quietly scanning the area while attempting to appear nonchalant about it.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

#1 What do you think would make you want to stick around more often or what would get you excited to come back to the game?
More demand for locksmiths, which could be helped by an expanded treasure box loot system. Doesn't necessarily have to be more money, just more variety and interesting stuff.
#2 When you do play, what do you like to do for fun? i.e. You log on and think to yourself, THIS is what I want to do.
Open boxes, RP around town, swap rumors, just goof around.
#3 If you had the power to add just one thing to the game, what would it be? Something general like, a new ability, a new mechanic, a new NPC, a new guild, a new area or something else?
Trapped locks (and certain guilds' abilities to disarm said traps).
Everyone has their own little place they like to hang out, so it's rare that you just happen across someone else in the day-to-day.
When people do manage to get together, it's usually fun. Interesting characters around.
More dart boards.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Thank you Noctere for this thread.

1: I don't mind about population. I usually find a wya to find fun even when I'm the only one logged on. The thing that would help me come back is to have something to do as a relatively higher level player aside from just fighting and training and grinding. Roleplay is better than it was before though.
2: Back when I was a newer player, I had a plan. Now I just don't. I go with the flow which is probably part of my problem of feeling at whit's end with Jilliana. I wish I had some kind of RP-based responsibility that'll make me feel like I'm contributing to the world. I'd like to think that my bloodshed and experience should count for something in the long run if not at this point in time.
3: I'm not sure what I'd add. I'd definitely give some guilds some love. They're terribly imbalanced right now.
4: The one biggest gripe I have is that it feels like the GMs don't actually play the game as players. I genuinely feel that the fact that they may not play regularly is part of the reason why i feel like I'm constantly trying to make my case for why a decision was a bad one on their part. I can say that that's why I left some months ago. I feel like I'm not being heard. It's like because a GM doesn't agree or willing to think things through, it's one ear and out the other. I'd like to think I'm a reasonable person and I'm willing to go with some compromise, but I'd like to be at least made feel like I'm heard. It upsets me even to write it, but it has to be said. Another thing that I'd gripe about is that sometimes it feels like there is favoritism. I won't go into details unless the GMs ask me to, but there it is. I feel like I'm constantly having to fight for the answers or help from the GMs and I see that another player gets exactly what I've been asking for with more ease.
5: The players, the community. I don't get along with them all in character, but the fact that we can be friendly to each other and even enjoy each other's company out of character is a huge thing for me.
6: If I could improve one thing abou the game, it'd be the report system. The fact that it's not logged isn't exactly good.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to vent. I swear I don't hate CLOK. I do agree with what Dorn said before. When one player leaves, it stings, but typically unlike other games, players who come through CLOK seem to always have a reason and I have always been able to understand and at least sympathize to an extent. I like that there have been changes and the no lag thing has been super duper amazing!
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
ironcross32

Post by ironcross32 »

More RP, as the quality of it here is pretty good.
I can't say there's one response to this, I like doing many things, form outright smashy kill, to grinding, to RP, to exploring.
More land, and player buildable settlements, including shops, houses, storeage and outbuildings, taverns and restaurants, etc.
The Janitor system as it makes no sense to me. You probably have at least 1,000 items out there that are hidden, and thus, don't get culled, but if I drop something and come back five minutes later or less, its gone. Meanwhile, that 1,000+ things are taking up space, and people have claimed to have thigns there for years, and its still there. That stuff needs culled, and the time for dropping things needs increated to at least an hour I'd say.
A playerbase who is mature in their RP, who doesn't seem to have issues keeping IC stuff IC, and OOC stuff OOC.
You need builders, and you need them badly, because a lot of things, and I do mean a lot of things don't have descriptions, and to me, who likes to look at things, who enjoys seeing that stuff, and allows it to enrich his immersion, that is not good. As a builder myself, it screams at me that that hasn't been done, and I can't think how that happened. All the shops, roads, and wilderness have descriptions, but tankards, packs, weapons, etc. don't, most of the time. I've since stopped looking at things as its just disappointed me too much.

Return to “General Discussion”