Spelling major locations, organizations, and NPCs correctly

Jirato
DEV

Spelling major locations, organizations, and NPCs correctly

Post by Jirato »

Disclaimer: This is not targeted at any specific person or posted in reaction to any recent events. This is something that's been on my mind for quite awhile now, as I feel it rather important for immersion in a role-playing enforced text game when speaking in-character.

I'm going to risk coming across as a bit of a jerk here, but please, PLEASE, if you are in a guild or a larger organization, spell that guild or organization correctly. If you are a resident or frequent visitor of a major town, spell that town's name correctly. If you are conducting periodic interactions with a named NPC, spell that NPC's name correctly.

And if you know how to spell something properly and constantly see someone making the same error over and over again... send them a polite TELL to nudge them to the proper spelling.

This has just been really bugging me lately. I've tried to correct it when I see it, but sometimes it's just not possible, I may be controlling an NPC and unable to send tells, or just monitoring the game from my tablet.

I know a large portion of our player base is visually impaired and uses a screen reader to assist with playing. I think that's totally awesome and fully support it. I've spent a significant effort on improving accessibility options and plan to continue to do so. However, some people have the tendency of spelling unfamiliar words such as locations and names phonetically, which is frequently wrong. I'm sorry if this makes me sound like an insensitive jerk, but I don't believe that's any excuse to not know how to spell significant names in CLOK. It's a subject I've brought up with a few of other screen reader users and they've all agreed. Spelling properly CAN be done. It just takes a little effort.

It's H A I B A N, Haiban. Not Hiban, Hiben, Heyben, Hoybon, or anything else.
It's T S E G A I Y A N, Tse Gaiyan, not Say Guyan, Se Gayun, or anything else. (And also not "Gaiyan" by itself.)

And while this doesn't bother me nearly as much since it's entirely OOC, it's J I R A T O, not Jirado or Giratoe or Geraldo.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Sneaky

Re: Spelling major locations, organizations, and NPCs correc

Post by Sneaky »

It's also S h a d g a r d, pronounced Shad guard I believe.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Barius

Post by Barius »

I support this post fully.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'm going to risk being a meanie and add my support to this request. Please, please, put effort into learning the spelling of your guild name, your town name, your race, and so on. At this point it seems like they're all misspelled more often than not, and it makes me sad inside.
The lore compels me!
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Thank you for posting this, Geraldo. I wholeheartedly agree and apologize for not spelling your name correctly in the previous sentence.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

For some reason, the spelling of Jirato's name as "Geraldo" made me think of " Gyarados" the Pokemon. And noe I really want to call Jirato Gyarados.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

be nice to Gelato
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

preiman wrote:be nice to Gelato
Yay, someone else who thinks that when they see the name!
The lore compels me!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Jirato wrote:I know a large portion of our player base is visually impaired and uses a screen reader to assist with playing. I think that's totally awesome and fully support it. I've spent a significant effort on improving accessibility options and plan to continue to do so. However, some people have the tendency of spelling unfamiliar words such as locations and names phonetically, which is frequently wrong. I'm sorry if this makes me sound like an insensitive jerk, but I don't believe that's any excuse to not know how to spell significant names in CLOK. It's a subject I've brought up with a few of other screen reader users and they've all agreed. Spelling properly CAN be done. It just takes a little effort.
Emphasize the words "little effort".

I know I have been guilty if spelling some names wrong, and it's nothing to do with my screen reader usage. It's more to do with my hearing loss, but I'd rather put in that very teeny tiny little effort to learn how to spell something and not look a bit foolish.

You forgot about Mistral, not Minstral.

I must admit, when I first heard the name I did think of Gerardo!
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Fayne wrote:For some reason, the spelling of Jirato's name as "Geraldo" made me think of " Gyarados" the Pokemon. And noe I really want to call Jirato Gyarados.
UGH. Gyarados kicked my butt in the Pokemon Y Elite 4, hardest fight in the entire game.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Jirato wrote:
Fayne wrote:For some reason, the spelling of Jirato's name as "Geraldo" made me think of " Gyarados" the Pokemon. And noe I really want to call Jirato Gyarados.
UGH. Gyarados kicked my butt in the Pokemon Y Elite 4, hardest fight in the entire game.
How do you feel about Pokemon go Jirato(Geraldo ftw)? I'm not a big Pokemon fan myself but I'm excited to see whether this new type of game will be the newest craze or completely flop.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I foresee Jirato getting called Geraldo and Gelato a lot more frequently now. lol
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

At first I was really excited by the prospect of calling him Geraldo... but Gelato is so much more delicious.
blindndangerous

Post by blindndangerous »

I know I'm guilty of this myself, and I'm glad people have gotten with me privately (and I think one time that it was brought up in a skype call with Rias and the others during a lore discussion). But now I know it's Haiban, and Jirato, and Vinz. Hahaha. Though now whenever I write Jirato I think of a rat.
A towering white-furred snow yeti exclaims, "Oog!"

Return to “General Discussion”