Questions On Background Items, Etc.

Fayne

Questions On Background Items, Etc.

Post by Fayne »

So, I've been wondering if we can still request simple props or anything from our character's backstories. I know that since the Patreon account was made, physical features sucb as scars and such have been restricted to donation-only unless you get it through RP, but I was wondering if the same was true for items, especially if the item has no mechanical use or benefit. I ask because there's something I'd like to have for Arcangelo, but since I'm not exactly swimming in extra funds right now, I don't think I can actually donate on order to get it, not yet anyway (though I fully intend to begin monthly donations as soon as my finances allow). It's not the kind of thing I could ask a merchant for either, since it's supposed to be something very dear to him with sentimental value, and it'd be weird getting it from a merchant.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
qinweiqi

Re: Questions On Background Items, Etc.

Post by qinweiqi »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4859#p25923

I agree that a vendor doesn't fit, but I had an idea about a past npc when I read thus post (link above). The idea is: role play having lost said significant item now. In the future you'll probably be able to "get it back" via funding, gm event, rp reward or whatever; but in the mean time you can still make the item significant without actually having it on hand - sometimes people are most defined not by what they have, but by what they've lost. Anyway, just an idea I thought of when reading your post.
Zoiya

Post by Zoiya »

We still have merchants who do scars, and different merchants for items, if what you need isn't going to work for one of those, send me a PM on the boards or an email and I'll see what I can do.
[CHAT - Lil' Skittles GM Zoiya escalates quickly]: *hugs Kent*
[CHAT - Kent "Gunney" Gunderman]: *gingerly hugs back*
[CHAT - Grandmaster Ardor will be NOM'd by a drakolin]: You can give Zoiya a bearhug Kent, she can handle it.
Orris

Post by Orris »

I've gotten some items from alter merchants and then just assumed my character always had them as part of his history. A lot of my current outfit is this way. Is this wrong? I mean it's kind of hard to take it in character that I hand a merchant a canvas backpack and they give it back as a sun-bleached sailcloth duffel 15 seconds later. Is it completely IC and they're just using magic to transmute the item that quickly, or is it like I always took it: just a gray area where we look the other way as far as IC and OOC?
While planning a trip to the haunted galleon with a bunch of people on ESP...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: what are the nether called on that pirate ship again?
[TO Vinz (OOC)]: I'm scared to tell you...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: DO-IT >:)
Zoiya

Post by Zoiya »

If anyone has needed a prop or item from their past, I've always been happy to try to provide them. You can assume you've always had them and I will try to always tailor them so that they look the way you guys need them. This offer doesn't just apply to the OP, if anyone ever needs something like this - please contact me.
[CHAT - Lil' Skittles GM Zoiya escalates quickly]: *hugs Kent*
[CHAT - Kent "Gunney" Gunderman]: *gingerly hugs back*
[CHAT - Grandmaster Ardor will be NOM'd by a drakolin]: You can give Zoiya a bearhug Kent, she can handle it.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Just because something is a Patreon perk doesn't mean that's the only way to get it. I certainly don't want people to feel that they have to pay for stuff like that. If you need something altered or made to fit your character background, just send us an email with your story and we'll usually be glad to help. However, as is the same with the event prop support, please limit your requests to once per month, I think it was?
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that the only way to get altercations to items or characters anymore was through merchants or Patreon. You guys would certainly be in your rights to do that, and I personally wouldn't blame you one bit for doing so, but I'm glad to hear that it is still possible to get these by asking nicely.

While we're on this subject though, could we get some tips on asking for feature altercations such as scars IC? Usually those aren't things that you just ask "Could you permanently deform this part of me here by grievously wounding me, please? Well, unless you're Taric. And which merchant would we even approach for those things? Oh, and is hair color unchangable, or one of those things that is likely only going to be changable through Patreon like hairstyles? (I may be wrong about that as well, but I think I remember a conversation being had about limiting the number of hairstyles available in favor of letting Patreon donators getting the option for a custom hairstyle)
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.

Return to “General Discussion”