General Abilities Confusion

Arbury

General Abilities Confusion

Post by Arbury »

Hi I am a new player been on for a few days. I'm confused as to what these abilities are supposed to be. Are they a replacement to the skills or an addenment?

Also as I am saving up to be an Artisan how significant is this ability system to me?
Lun
CLOK Patron

Re: General Abilities Confusion

Post by Lun »

Welcome to Clok! Abilities are something completely aside from skills. Think of them as... spells, or actions you can take.

Okay, so type ABILITY. You'll see that you have a pool of 18 ability points. Don't panic, don't be impulsive. This is the maximum number of abilities you can learn GUILD or GENERALIZED. Don't spend all your ability points, as it takes 1 month to unlearn something, real-time, and there are many incomplete abilities that are still being worked on or old abilities waiting to be imported to the system. If you find a bug, BUG it, it will be fixed soon.

Simply type "ABILITY" on its own to get a list of commands. If you type "ABILITY SHOW" you'll get the big list of some 55 or 57 abilities available now. Type ABILITY DESCRIBE # to get more information on that one ability. Type ABILITY LEARN # to learn it! Guild abilities count towards the ability pool. I.E. if you have 5 guild abilities, you'll see that it'll say you currently know 5 abilities.
Arbury

Post by Arbury »

Ok thanks I think I get it. They are mainly guild abilities, so does that mean, with the exception of magic you can learn skills from other guilds?
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Arbury wrote:Ok thanks I think I get it. They are mainly guild abilities, so does that mean, with the exception of magic you can learn skills from other guilds?
Pretty much, though most guilds have some stuff still specific to them besides magic, such as improved dodge for brofists or thieving for thieves for example.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Yay! A future Artisan!

As for how significant a change it is for a future Artisan... it allows some more variety for your character at the potential sacrifice of skipping out on some aspects of crafting. Even before generalization, Artisans could pretty much play how they wanted. It was totally possible to be involved in combat as an Artisan without these abilities. While the new generalized combat abilities enhance certain aspects, they are by no means a requirement. But now, if you so choose, you could, for example, augment your non-crafting related potential with some additional bonuses, which is a nice option but may require you not being able to get every single crafting ability in the game at the same time too.

The Artisan guild abilities need a lot of re-work. They had 27 guild abilities before generalization, however, a lot of them were pretty useless simply waste an ability point and get a free permanent skill increase without granting an actual literal "ability". Those have been removed, and I'm the process of re-evaluating all the other existing artisan abilities to see what should be moved over to generalized, what should be consolidated, and what can just be flat-out removed.

If you happen to get your 2k riln and join the guild, don't worry about picking a guild-only ability that might be removed/consolidated later. As I'm making these changes I'm also refunding the ability points for people who have learned them.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!

Return to “General Discussion”