Couple of questions about the Think command

Enepttastic

Couple of questions about the Think command

Post by Enepttastic »

Mainly wondering what is considered abuse of it. Obviously using it as a way to bug GMs would be abuse but would making a habit of using it be an issue IC? I ask since I have kinda shelved Aeric for the moment and have now made somewhat of an introverted character. He'll probably open up eventually but I don't want it to seem that he's just doing whatever for no reason, not to mention that using it would actually help me flesh him out more. I'm not really intending to run everything he'd be thinking through the command(because I'd NEVER get anything else done until my typing skills increase substantially) but potentially have something useful go through his mind about what he's currently up to.

Other question is: When we're having several thoughts in succession, would it be preferred for us to do it altogether or more stream of thought?

Example:
think Damn that spit burns...was THAT what a bowtruffle is? Who the bloody hell thought it'd be a good idea to make a preserve for them?
vs
think Damn that spit burns.
think Was THAT what a bowtruffle is?
think Who the bloody hell thought it'd be a good idea to make a preserve for them?
Oddly enough, that was more or less Aeric's train of thought when he first encountered one that decided it wanted to venture away from the preserve...
In-game: Atali: Punching things while wearing (mostly)full plate because she likes hearing the "ping."
Lacie

Re: Couple of questions about the Think command

Post by Lacie »

I use think fairly frequently and I've not gotten flak about it. Basically, just make sure the thoughts are in-character, don't use it as the equivalent of Report or Bug. I think putting them all in one line would likely be better, but I don't think it's a huge deal either way.

Then again, I use think in the way you mentioned, to flesh out my character. I do it mainly for my own benefit and for any GMs who may be actively watching me, not to send some kind of IC message to the GMs in general.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Think away! We love to get a glimpse of how a character is thinking and feeling. If you can string a bunch of related thoughts together that's great, but if you think a few times in (as in the latter example) there's nothing wrong with that, as long as it's not a constant spam of brief minutae or something.

If something ever does become an issue for some reason, we'll let you know about it without any anger or rage or penalties or anything. We try to be nice!
The lore compels me!
blindndangerous

Post by blindndangerous »

I need to remember to do this more. Most of the time if I'm just standing somewhere I am thinking, but always forget to type it out for the gm's. Will try and do this more in the future.
A towering white-furred snow yeti exclaims, "Oog!"
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Recently made a for all intents and purposes mute character and think has been amazing to help me keep paying attention and help both plan and oraganize what I'm thinking. Love it!
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.

Return to “General Discussion”