Limits on how long you're dead

Kent

Limits on how long you're dead

Post by Kent »

I think we need to look at putting a limit on how long someone can be dead and refused the ability to 'depart'.

This is the second time I have been excluded from playing the game for an extended period of time (more than an hour) because (a) no PC would drag my corpse to a church, and (b) because a GM arbitrarily off the ability to 'depart'.

I really think such treatment is deserved by players who say nasty racist things or multiplay or break other game Policies. It is downright cold to impose this expulsion to players otherwise.

So I really think the GM's should look at a GM policy of excluding a player from play for no more than, say 15 minutes, where there is no violation of Policy. In otherwords, when a game suspension punishment is not deserved, don't impose a game suspension punishment, please.
Last edited by Kent on Wed May 14, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Kent

Re: Limits on how long you're dead

Post by Kent »

P.S. The current death mechanics make it possible for a cruel player to drag your corpse away from the place he fell, and even if there are willing rescuers present, the tolling bell will not make it possible for that person to be rescued.

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I saw someone try to raise you.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Bryce wrote:I saw someone try to raise you.
It is well know that Kent won't deal with Rooks and their familiars. Thus is was a cruel joke for someone to drag him to a Rook place. They did this to Kent the last time the Depart was turned off too.

Furthermore if someone wanted to drag Kent now out of the Rook place and into the Church, they cannot locate Kent with the current bell mechanics.

An hour later and my ability to Depart is still suspended:
Nope! Try ringing the Deathknell.
Last edited by Kent on Wed May 14, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Sometimes you gotta make the tough choices. Bryce has to do a lot of things he doesn't want to if he wants to stay alive.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I'm sure it's no fun to pay the price for something your character did. I mean, it's just a game right? Everything should happen the way you want it to because you ask for it to be so?
You have a few choices with Kent. You can log out and come back later or he can suck it up and pay the price for something he did after he was warned.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Kent

Post by Kent »

Bryce wrote:Sometimes you gotta make the tough choices. Bryce has to do a lot of things he doesn't want to if he wants to stay alive.

If you have the luxury of a choice. Right now Kent can choose between remaining dead, or breaking everything he stands for in-character and following a Shadow Familiar.

The next time, I (or you) may not have that option. It may be some vindictive character will drag your carcass into some remote part of the wilderness, making recovery impossible all the while you toll and toll in vain a location you're no longer at. Or it may be there is no one logged in that session who is willing or able to drag you anywhere, depending on where you fall.

Kent

Post by Kent »

jilliana wrote:I'm sure it's no fun to pay the price for something your character did. I mean, it's just a game right? Everything should happen the way you want it to because you ask for it to be so?
You have a few choices with Kent. You can log out and come back later or he can suck it up and pay the price for something he did after he was warned.
Well, that's the problem, Kent wasn't warned. Kent was asked before to stay out of one place, and he did. Then today Kent was told to stay out of another place, and while he may have been argumentative, he didn't go back to that second place.

Also it didn't help Kent's life expectancy that Kent's rapier was not returned to him that he might use it to defend himself and others. Nor that Jilliana wounded Kent with her longsword while he was fighting to defend the canyon entrance. Is Jilliana going to pay the price for that?

The price Kent is paying is more appropriate to if Kent cowered off instead of facing the Netherim at the canyon entrance. I'm up to a 90 minute suspension from playing at this point in time.

Avedri

Post by Avedri »

Kent wrote:Nor that Jilliana wounded Kent with her longsword while he was fighting to defend the canyon entrance. Is Jilliana going to pay the price for that?
Assuming she was in the wrong, probably not. The Church has been incredibly lax regarding conduct over the last few months. Unless it's poor Gad.

I do think the Deathknell bell should update with the *current* location of the body. I understand the reasons why it doesn't and there are motives about how it currently functions that I enjoy, but given situations where someone needs to log off and come back later that may prevent frustration.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

It should also be known that it's possible not everyone knows Kent's preference IC, or cares to facilitate that preference, or even has the means to facilitate it if the church doesn't like whoever rescued you.

I think one of the main reasons lore-wise why the location doesn't update is because the soul can't see anything but the bell and the void. It doesn't know where it is, only what it last saw and it's constantly being pulled along with the body. While it would be great for the description to update to help with those attempting recovery, I'm not sure if fits with current death mechanics, assuming I'm understanding them correctly.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Solution: Zombie Kent
Lae

Post by Lae »

I'm just gonna not post, because all it does it get me in trouble. Cheers. Enjoy all the things.
Last edited by Lae on Fri May 16, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Getting back on topic... I'm sure this is just part of ongoing death changes. I'd recommend reporting any issues as normal, but also exercising some patience.

Return to “General Discussion”