My two Riln's Worth....

merin
CLOK Patron

My two Riln's Worth....

Post by merin »

Dear GMs of Clok and fellow players,

First of all, I just want to wish all of you a great day, whether it’s with real life tasks or coding something on Clok, or even putting up with us players or in the case of said players, one another!

After reflecting on some of the posts I’ve read on the BBS and speaking with a couple of people about said players, I would like to point out something that, to me, is a huge deal, and that is the post Zoya made in the mining thread. She basically stated that the mud was on a downward spiral, and that made me think a little. Not only about perhaps me as a player, but about the actions of others. I got done reading two threads of nothing but really bickering between players – the mining thread, and Ellystole’s thread about banning people. Both of these made me stop and reflect on a lot of things, and made me realize something, so, I am going to state what I have felt from a relatively new player to your game.

First, I spend hours a day on Clok, weather it’s training my magic skills, or training some crafting skills or simply just shooting the [crap] on chat, and that to me has always been my way of saying thank you for a wonderful place to be. The way I have figured it is if the game sucked, I’d move on. Obviously, Clok doesn’t, so I stay and do what I can in my rather limited knowledge of lore, the player base, GM attitude, and etcetera, to show I enjoy being here.

One of the things that really did aid in my enjoyment of Clok was the friendly players. When I came around and got a few friends to join with me, there was a complete chasm between the experienced and us, the new, and the people who really did know more were willing to reach across that gap and say here, let’s get you into this game. I remember the first week of playing that I received my fair share of hardships. I think that first Saturday I died like 8 times, and it was rather frustrating. If it wasn’t from the encouragement both IC and OOC from Jilliana and Gad, I might have put it down in frustration. This doesn’t go without saying that first evening Lars took a while to show Liani and I both the ropes, help us get on our feet. Abana, you were there, too.

Fast forward to today and one of the things I get excited about, checking the BBS for changes or interesting tidbits about one of my favorite games to spend time in, was sowered by the negativity from said players towards each other, kind of ruining the ooc environment. Not only this, but it made me feel a little ashamed to be one who frequents the BBS and the game to be splashed with much negativity. When I arrived I didn’t find anything to this nature that I was able to see. I put myself back into that perspective this morning and looked over the BBS and the conclusion I came to is not a good one. I can see what you all mean by Clok being on a downward spiral, and in my opinion, I would have to disagree slightly.

I guess after writing this, although mostly to the GMs of this game, I hope that the other players will see and hopefully some will agree with what I’ve had to say and realize it, too, because as much as I’ve heard the others say, it’s not just the GMs party. I play here; I spend time here, so dammit, it’s my party, too. The fact that I chose to come to Rias’ house to enjoy it doesn’t mean that I hold him completely responsible for my entertainment, nor do I hold him responsible for all the faults. It takes the people to make the party, and even if the host – extremely influential he may be – does his best, the party guests can screw up the party just as bad.

I stated that the host can have an effect on how things are done, and to a great deal. In this case, you guys are the ones that work your behinds off for us to play that new game or learn that new ability or to [witch] about a roundtime game. Whatever happens, you do it for the best, and I believe there is a lot of non-thought beforehand. I am not innocent of this. I went to test out the mining and stated and felt that it truly was a downer, however, I had to simply think on it and come to the conclusion that, hmmmm, I’m carrying a lot of stuff and that might affect it. Problem solved. In my opinion, while it was a change I didn’t like at first, I thought about the reasons behind it and now opretiate it. I like the fact that it’ll get people out of their armor, and in fact, I’d love to see other penalties of this nature. Armor is for combat, not a fashion sense. Also, I hate training my ellemancy skills. I feel they are slow, annoying, and I honestly feel that if I spent less time with a weapon, I’d do more damage and I would be a better fighter, however, I also have come to the realization that it is what it is, and while I may say ug pyromancy is a pain, I’ll still enjoy to do it. My reasons for this are twofold. First, because obviously there is a reason for it, and secondly, it makes sense. It was a fair warning on the wikki that my guild was slower going; so, I have to tough it up. I may not enjoy it because let’s face it, all people like to see progress, but I do understand it. If I didn’t I would post about it and ask why, hoping for as polite of an explanation as I phrased the question.

Back to my original point, though, I would like to just state that, after reading Zoya’s post I began to feel sad because perhaps she’s right – perhaps people are causing Clok to go on a downward spiral, and I don’t want to be one of those people. As I also said, I spend a lot of time here, and weather I’m good at it or not is beside the point; the fact is I enjoy it. I remember the Skype conference I was involved in with much of the Clok players and a couple GMs, and honestly, it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I’ve had in the past while. It was a bunch of people talking, in good spirits, about the game they all chose to spend time with, and it allowed me to meet some interesting people – most of which, I have no idea of who their names are, but that’s also beside the point. Ever since then, there really hasn’t been much of an enjoyable community to come to. I can’t tune in chat without someone making a ruckus about something, and I turn it off. Not my problem anymore. One thing I did fail to realize is how it makes the people who toil to bring us this entertainment feel, and for that, I have not done my part in showing my opretiation.
I remember I was excited about the tree house and I screwed that one up big-time and I honestly felt bad about it because you’re right. People do spend hours trying to make something neat that if only I would have paid more attention and ben more prepared, could have been being enjoyed instead of causing an upset and my ooc self apologizes for my screw up there. It was frustrating and I complained some, but I realize that it was me who made the error and fully recognize that, and since then, I have made an effort to do what I can to show the side I want to get across. On farther reflection, I do understand that I may have contributed to the downward spiral and yes, although this being a game, that does affect me. It’s been something of great enjoyment to me lately, and to upset the people that do their best to bring me that enjoyment, I feel I contributed fully to this.

This whole big, disorganized and rambling mess is simply my way of saying thanks. I really value all of your hard work, and wish to make Clok that much more of a better place. I don’t know how I’m going to do that yet, because I’m not the most experienced or have the most knowledge, but everything I say is not meant with mallous or to increase the frustration you feel. Not only you, the GM who may be reading this, but the players.

I would also like to address the players, too, because there have been a lot of arguments and a lot of mallous between some, and I feel frustration and annoyance by reading it. Yes. There have been some complaining, and yes, there have been rather crude posts rebuffing them, however, I would just like to ask everyone to stop and realize what is going on. Not only are we by being rude to one another or flippant causing arguments to continue, but we’re starting to cause a great deal of distress. Picture a newbie coming to the BBS to learn about clok and seeing some of the posts here. Actually, think of yourselves seeing some of the posts here. It’s been said that people are backing out of an environment because of things I need not menschen over and over, and how does that make you feel? We all have some time invested in Clok and we all enjoy it for what it is, or we wouldn’t be here. For those that don’t, I hope this post really causes you to reflect. I would ask all of us to reflect on those that might want to spend time here, and how all of these posts will influence that decision. If Clok indeed is on a downward spiral, can you really blame people for not showing up? We’ve stated over and over that Clok is different than other more power-hungry admins or that Clok has a great community. We’ve also stated that it is heading down hill and I see the evidence for both. SO allow me to do what I can to say thanks.

Rias, Noctere, Jerado, Rithial, Zoya, and others I may not know, whether it’s a carbon copy of a house, or that silly beggar who lost his hooch, I value the time and effort you all have put into making that happen.

Ellystole, Jilliana, Gad, Liani, Lavi, Carno, Bryce, Acaran, Drayla, Clayton, Keah, Lae, Zeel, Scah, Arter, Lyros, Delona, Preiman, Methior, Eira, Liandah, Adara, Dara, Jaster, Stranger, Matilda, Kiyaani, Lars, Octavia, Faylen, and many more that aren’t coming to my head, I have to thank you all as well. I may have never interacted with some of your characters, or you on an ooc level, but if it wasn’t for all of us, there wouldn’t be a game worth enjoying, anyway.

So once again from the bottom of my heart, thanks for making a wonderful place to be, and I hope that we can all stop the bickering and bring back the community the GMs loved to interact with. Let’s face it – happier people mean more changes and a better place to be!

Fan of Clok,

Merin.

P.S. I rambled. My bad.
Drayla

Re: My two Riln's Worth....

Post by Drayla »

You're right, Merlin (I'm still totally calling you that). Chat has gotten to be a big center for bickering lately, as a result, people have started bickering about the bickering, which has lead to more bickering, and things have escalated. We just need to stop. Want to complain about a new mechanic or a change to an old one? Don't type it up in CHAT. Come here, think about what it is you want to say, type it up (and be polite, please. I am guilty of being rude in my posts, but we have to stop), reread it to make sure it sounds fine and doesn't accidentally provide the wrong message, and post it. Let others give their opinions here. Keep CHAT to something that we can use to have friendly discussions on, game-related or not. Make sure that it is always possible for a newbie to tune into CHAT at any time and not jump in the middle of an argument or sometging that might make our "friendly" environment seem "at each other's throats" instead.

As for the BBS, we need to stop attacking each other on here. I don't care if you are calling individuals out or not, if you are attacking any players at all, that creates a negative post that is there for the newest members to find, and do we really want to give off that kind of message? Another thing: don't poke your finger at something and yell "Why?!" or "Change this!" That not only makes you look bad, ot makes everyone look bad, and I can guarantee that by being demanding or sarcastic in your posts or requests, they will never get you the results you were looking for.

If we can just learn to bite our tongues and think before we type, I think a lot, of not all, of our current issues will go away. As Lysse put: "Be excellent to each other"

Return to “General Discussion”