RP Skill Levels

Elystole

RP Skill Levels

Post by Elystole »

One thing I've been trying to figure out but haven't been able to determine is when my character is considered to no longer suck.

What I mean is: At what point (skill ranks) is he considered competent?

In other games I'd be able to do something like "skills rp" and it'd tell me my skills in terms of "novice," "apprentice," "journeyman," etc. Now, I'm not asking for a new command or anything, but I am wondering when my character can stop feeling like he's embarrassing himself with how bad he is with a musket or something. Any thoughts on how I should RP his skill at varying ranks?
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Laroremas

Re: RP Skill Levels

Post by Laroremas »

I think Rias jokingly said 1000 meant you were good in a Skype call a while back. Speaking in terms of combat skills, as that is all I really have experience with, I think that is actually a fairly good number. There're a lot of really agile, hulking grizzly bears who have a dodge value around that point, so once you can hit those spry bastards consistently I think it is safe you're good.

It's all relative, though.

For example, you could just get a lucky shot every single time, in theory. Even against the most agile enemy. Would your character begin to think he was a good shot because of this? Would his peers compliment him on his shooting ability and look beyond the numbers that are popping up on their screen? I should hope so to that latter one, but that's a bit off topic.
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

I agree 1000 would give you the right to brag. I think anywhere between 500 and 750, though, on combat skills would also be a good point. As far as mechanics go, most, of not all, guilds have some skills that rank from Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master. Apprentice is available immediately, Journeyman is usually available at 250, and Master at 500. I wouldn't go by this too much, though, as they will probably be changed at some point, as skills have gotten tweaked. For example: My trader nearly qualifies for the Master: Forging skill, and she is lucky to get anything above average.

My advice: Start feeling good about your skills when you think they are impressive. And if you must use a game mechanic to judge your combat skills, try using 'flourish' to flourish your weapon. You can only pull off the different kinds once your skill is high enough.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

You know what this calls for? Contests.

Sharpshooting contest in Shadgard. Stay tuned for more details after I ultilize that little "we'll help you do an RP event" thing Rithiel talked about a while back.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.

Return to “General Discussion”