General Roleplay Thread

Rithiel

Re: General Roleplay Thread

Post by Rithiel »

merin wrote:By that logic we should be able to get a log of all ESP messages, because if we play for 8 hours, we should still, thanks to the Sarcadium rhythm, be able to be aware for the other 8 hours a day! Not only that, but, our characters should do things without us, maybe eat something, get sick, change clothes, spend riln on entertainment, etcetera. That way, it's not only convenient for us when we want to switch to another alt, but would actually assist with the validity of that excuse. I believe if there is going to be a bennafit to "having your character awake and aware," we should suffer drawbacks, too.

I hope that didn't come off as rude, and I appologise if it did so.
Not really, consider most people make extensive use of esp pulse so signal that while they were logged out, they were unaware of esp. I completely agree with Makkah here, by the way. However, that doesn't mean that I think people who logout and come back as an alt should know what's going on - they should still have to come into whatever is going on in a way that doesn't assume they were listening in the whole time. To me (and obviously others disagree) it seems silly to say "Nope, you logged in as that character having no idea what would happen and now you have to choose between not participating or participating with a character who really wouldn't." This is, of course, regarding events.

Regarding the locksmithing, I could understand if there was a problem where somebody logged in as a locksmith, didn't RP at all, opened all the boxes, and logged back out. If this is going on, we would likely suspect the person of playing across accounts, or other OOC behavior. But this isn't what's happening.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Roleplaying aside, it bugs me on an OOC level. If we let RP make right, I'd have no right to have rules against playing multiple characters at once, or having your own characters interact, send each other money, items, and gear, and so forth.

When it bothers me varies depending on the situation, of course. If an event is going on that you have a character involved in, by all means, switch over to them. We don't want to deny your character further involvement because you happened to be on your newbie alt when the latest episode started. If you've got alts that are involved in/can handle every situation and frequently alt-hop as situations arise/change, however, that's when I think things get a little goofy, and it starts to bother me.
The lore compels me!
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I think this was mentioned somewhere else too, but it bugs me when people try to refer to the end of the currently coded map or world as going 'all the way' in 'x' direction to get to a location. In most of these situations, it's not actually 'all the way' to anywhere. It's just where the current border exists in the game and that's probably why the devs changed the borders from mountains to asterisks. I understand using this kind of phrasing from an OOC I'm-giving-directions-and-this-is-the-easiest-way standpoint and that makes sense *if* you're doing it OOC, but IC, unless there's something geographically placed to make it truly 'all the way', it bothers me immensely.
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

A general tip I have for the community is to be aware of your surroundings. There have been several instances where very major, and rewarding, events would of have happened but they were missed entirely because a player did not take the time to think/look about their surroundings. It is also a good idea to read the lore readily available on the wiki. Some of the information on there would have tipped them off that something was different.

Remember to keep an RP mindset, even when you are doing something grindy.
It's not easy being evil...
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

It's true, a lot of my room scripts/NPCs get ignored. Some of them could have turned into some very unique encounters and experiences.
The lore compels me!

Return to “General Discussion”