Clothing damage

artus

Clothing damage

Post by artus »

Hello
So I've noticed that clothing damage goes down pretty fast. We don't have pc tailor on standby and npc repair takes 24 hours real time to be ready, which means you have to juggle clothes in between to keep up. Perhaps the idea is to have everyone wear armors, which, if you play a mage and such, will impeed your casting quite substantially. We also don't have padded armors in game to offset that at this moment.

Could something be done to lessen the hassle of going in and out of clothing repair so we could better keep up with the cost without having to juggle clothes often. It's nothing for old players with a heap of riln in the bank, but it might be something for new characters with little to their wealth. Something like less blow to the clothes upon damage?
[CHAT - Event Staff Uyoku likes NOM NOM NOM food]: You are holding a pepper-grilled Uyoku in your right hand.
This GM has been peppered and grillef over an open flame to a juicy perfection.
Ocelotl

Re: Clothing damage

Post by Ocelotl »

Honestly, I know it has been requested for a while, but I, personally, never much liked the idea of clothing damage. Clok, especially, doesn't seem very well suited to it, or at least if we are comparing to old clok, which this iteration is surely drifting towards. Here are my reasons why.

1: Like artus said, it's just another cost that new PCs have to pay. *especially* new PCs, who often can't afford armor right away. Speaking from experience, it already cost my new character several thousands to get all the basic supplies, clothing, etc, and would have been quite the ordeal if other characters didn't chip in to get them a weapon and some money for these things. I also have to keep paying the tailors to fix up my clothing once damaged, which is yet another cost to contend with on a starting budget. Established characters aren't necessarily spared from this, but the option to get armor and avoid this issue all together is much more readily accessible.
Sure, an argument can be made that this is a good chance for newer characters to stay back in town and work at getting themselves set up, possibly finding RP in the process, but not everyone necessarily wants to stay home and do odd jobs until they can weather the costs of going out there. It's putting the combat gameplay behind a barrier.

2: CLOK itself, or at least the CLOK I remember, had several guilds that either weren't well-suited to armor users, or entirely hinged on the character wearing no armor. Brawlers, elemancers, udemi, and Dwaedn to an extent are a few examples. Brawlers especially. While it's funny to imagine every brawler having a standby tailor to fix their clothes up, in actuality it's going to be pretty frustrating to have to patch your pants up every time you go out to fight. And this brings me to my last point.

3: From a gameplay standpoint, it doesn't add much. The trade off with armor is that it protects you from damage, but you have to pay for its upkeep. For clothing, that isn't really the case. And from an RP standpoint, I really don't get much value from it. I understand that it's realistic, but by that same token, shouldn't fractures take a few days to heal at the very least? At the end of the day, it just feels like another thing I have to take care of.

A possible solution, aside taking clothing damage out entirely, could be to slow the damage way down. It might not be the most realistic thing, but if clothing still got damaged, but took as long as, say, medium armor to plate, it would do three things.
1: Realism is maintained.
2: Tailors get to still fix our clothes.
3: All that while maintaining convenience and a newbie-friendly experience.

I really don't want this post to come off overly negative. I don't mean to be rude with any of this, and it's my hope that this proves to be, if not constructive, a decent read.
Squeak

Re: Clothing damage

Post by Squeak »

I'm not a big fan of the clothing damages myself, but you can largely circumvent the overall outfit damages by wearing a leather coat (for sale at the tailors), and chaps (this is actually light leather armor and is also for sale at the tailor's shop). This will cover the character pretty much from shoulders to calves and only require two things to be upkept.

The downside is that to do so requires a pretty hefty investment of riln - pretty sure both costs somewhere in the vicinity of 3000 riln, and to have a second set that increases to 6000. And the leg coverings are, in fact, light leather armor. It's by no means perfect, but it's helped me keep my clothing repair costs down.

I wouldn't object to the clothing receiving less damage - it still gives tailors something to do, after all, and does maintain some semblance of realism but is less of a financial burden.

On a similar vein, and this has been bugged IG, it would appear that neckerchiefs will still take damage even when NOT worn. It appears to do so when it's used as a face covering at some point, takes damage, and then is removed (either as a neckerchief or a bandana-mask). I've got a blue one that's been steadily taking damage while in my character's dresser (I think it's now at Damaged), and it also acts as if it's still being worn when taking damage to the head.

Return to “General Discussion”