The name command obsolete?

Adresin

The name command obsolete?

Post by Adresin »

Hi,

It was mentioned on chat yesterday that the name command has been flagged as obsolete. Sure enough, when I type it, I'm told just that. However, I disagree, and I'd like to kindly request it be made operational again. If that's not possible, can we at least be told why? I'm just very confused.

Reasons I disagree, and others may have more reasons, but I have two.

1. Situations where someone has created a character by one name, yet wants to go by something else. When creating a character, we're told we should use the character's real name. This then is the name shown to everyone, given that Cogg's system was pulled. Chione is the most obvious example to me. I solved this problem by naming her what she wants to be called, so that name, not Chione, is both what I see and the keyword I use to interact with her. My ADHD brain has appreciated this functionality so much.

2. A similar thing related to keywords are matching issues, such as those between Alia and Alila. I know at least one person has named Alia as Lilac to avoid that problem.

I was very sad to see Cogg's system of intros and naming go away, but settled into it eventually because at least the name command still worked. Oh, I still have issues with, have I met this person before or not? The friends list sort of helps there. But now, with even the name command removed, I feel like we got a nice feature taken away for no reason. Realistically I know that's unlikely, which is why if we can't have it back it would be helpful to at least understand why. Is something else planned, for example?

Thanks. I hope this comes across the way I mean it to. I was annoyed yesterday, admittedly, but I was also sleep deprived so there's that. Now, I'd just like to understand and maybe bring some perspective that wasn't thought of?
RememberNehima

Re: The name command obsolete?

Post by RememberNehima »

It probably wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I do enjoy not seeing character names in MUDs unless you've been introduced. It's an extra layer between IC and OOC and helps me keep track of who I've actually met and interacted with enough to note down a name. And of course, it adds the whole layer of disguise and IC anonymity.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I can do without the introduction system (even if I prefer it greatly), but I do use the Name command as a reminder as to who I've already met, so I'd appreciate that sticking around at the very least! That way I don't have to tab between notes and the mud (or have to worry so much about remembering to make notes for every person my character meets in real time).
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

I do enjoy the COGG system, to be honest. Don't see any sense RP-wise that could justify the fact that my character knows everyone in the Lost Lands. The cogg system allowed you to be anonimous if you so wished, or if the roleplay brought you to that.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per today's changelogs:

- The NAME command can now only be used on PCs or one's own mounts. Alternate names given this way will show up after the target's coded name instead of replacing it.
- New option: OccupantFriends. When toggled on, the player will see friend levels of anyone they have friended in the room occupants list. Type OPTION OCCUPANTFRIENDS to toggle the option.

So, to keep track of people you've met, you could do either of friending them all and toggling on that option, or naming them all as "Met" or "Introduced" or something like that. Tip: It's also handy to name people as their custom aura color to help keep track of their auras!
The lore compels me!
Adresin

Post by Adresin »

Omg thank you! I don't know if this will solve the matching problems, doesn't sound like it? But it does solve the issue of wait, do I even know this person? And what am I supposed to call them?
artus

Post by artus »

It does and does not at the same time because you can target the person you name with both the name they created with and the name you give to them.
if you name alia or alila somehting else, you can possibly use that for targetting. Can perhaps bypass it.
[CHAT - Event Staff Uyoku likes NOM NOM NOM food]: You are holding a pepper-grilled Uyoku in your right hand.
This GM has been peppered and grillef over an open flame to a juicy perfection.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

You can target people with the alternate names you give them. If you named Alia as Blue and Alila as Red, then you could target them with those names instead of (or rather, in addition to) Alia or Alila.
The lore compels me!
Zeldryn

Post by Zeldryn »

Firstly-- glad the name command is hanging in there for us nicknamers/horse namers! Much appreciated.

Quick quality of life suggestion, not sure if possible: Any way that we could just have one of the character's ' names appear in our display? Or is that something we should just try to mess with client-side.

For example, people you have named currently appear as such: Zeldryn/Tosser says, "This is a bad piece of test dialogue."

If, perhaps, it was possible to have an option for either the character's standard name, or their given name to appear when toggled on or off, that'd be great.

So if toggled on, it would appear as the name you gave them: Tosser instead of Zeldryn.

If toggled off, it would appear as it does now: Zeldryn/Tosser

Thanks again for this, and for the patience with feedback offered. (Prepare for me to post a million suggestion threads regarding some things in coming days.)
You declaratively shout, "frack Corvus. Support Shadgardians."
Zeldryn nods simply, that said, folding his arms back beneath a striated fiery-orange wool poncho.
Several townsfolk cheer in response to Zeldryn's shout!
Adresin

Post by Adresin »

It is a bit more spammy, but I can deal with that.

Thank you Rias for all of this. It fixes the issues mentioned and adds flexibility at the same time!
Zeldryn

Post by Zeldryn »

I can likewise deal with a little more spamminess if it's the sort of thing that doesn't matter enough/isn't easy enough to implement quickly. I don't often fiddle with my client, but if it bothers me that badly, I can do so.

Keep up all the great work!
You declaratively shout, "frack Corvus. Support Shadgardians."
Zeldryn nods simply, that said, folding his arms back beneath a striated fiery-orange wool poncho.
Several townsfolk cheer in response to Zeldryn's shout!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I figured it's best for people to always see and be aware of character coded names since there will be times that's used even if some people have given an alternate name to that character. Wanted posters, fishing records, trophies, and whatever else. I still prefer people to own their chosen name.
The lore compels me!

Return to “General Discussion”