Let's talk about death.

Mirazia

Let's talk about death.

Post by Mirazia »

We've had a number of new players about and it's great to see so many new faces! With new faces comes new deaths! The Lost Lands is dangerous and the learning curve while not as steep as it once was, is still a hill to climb.

So what happens when you die? You get sent to the void and look at the bell and wait, hoping to see that little pulse that someone is coming to rescue you...

Yet I am seeing the same people doing all the rescuing despite an increase of numbers playing. It has been brought to my attention from looking at logs, from players discussing it IC and from a couple of players OOC.

What happens when those few players stop caring, because why should they bother when no one else does? It's a dangerous spiral that I want to nip in the bud before it starts.

"It's not in my character's RP to rescue." - that's fine. I'm sure some would appreciate knowing where the body is if you know the location.
"I don't know where that is." - ask and someone else might know.
"I'm too far away!" - ask if someone is closer. I've seen people travel from the far west of the map to Tarueka to rescue someone. It's irritating, certainly, but this is what I am trying to squish.
"I don't know how to do it!" - ask on the question channel. Many players will help you with the mechanics of rescuing others.

Death will be changing very soon, and it is in all of your best interests to band together as players to try help each other when you die. Currently, departing should be a last resort. If you are a new player and need help in how to rescue someone, ask for assistance on ESP. I am sure that some of the more experienced players will assist you.

As an aside, if you have looked at the bell and seen a response that someone is looking for, found or bringing life back to you, please don't depart. Some people will spend upwards of 15 minutes looking for your body in an area. If you see the failed pulse, you can either try the bell again and wait, or depart away.

This has been another Mirazia PSA. And further ideas for banding together and helping each other survive death more than welcome!
A greater lich looks over the posts on a large post board.

(Samani practically snarls as she consumes her flapjacks in one go.)

Dark powers surround Noctere and he brings forth his hands to summon... to summon... TO SUMMON!...
a handful of popcorn which appear on the ground with a slight POOF sound. Then Noctere leaves.
Tamsin

Re: Let's talk about death.

Post by Tamsin »

Honestly my main PC is pretty selfish but feels a general interest in rescuing dead people

It's almost always someone else is on the way or I have no idea where the dead person is AT ALL that keeps her from saving someone

Maybe a revamp of the current system, in the case of not having explored any specific area, to give like an emotional tug in the right direction if you want to find some dead person instead of an area 'name' would work out? IE: The lost soul you seek is "close by" "a distance" "far to" or "very far" or even "an incredible distance" to the <direction> would help out the situation?

Return to “General Discussion”