Generalized Abilities Concerns

Bryce

Re: Generalized Abilities Concerns

Post by Bryce »

Vaylon wrote:I think it's necessary. For example, there's supposed to be a rivalry between Guild A and Guild B, but there are no players who took the rivalry seriously. In fact, when I brought up the rivalry as a reason my character did something, other players laughed at me for it.
I'm 100% for these things being supported by guild RP to make them feel more real, and think that failing to make things feel supported and known is not a good thing. What I don't agree with is the sentiment that guild members shouldn't be held to something just because guild NPCs aren't constantly reminding them. Could you really take a Rook seriously if they said "Hey, my guild only told me once (when I was asking about joining) that membership is a lifelong commitment and there's no turning back. They have no right to hold me to that now since they haven't reminded me lately!" Are Templar exempt from their Code as long as their guild NPCs aren't telling them about it again each month? Can Tse Gaiyan decide fighting the resen "isn't their thing" just because their NPCs haven't given them a "Remember, resen are bad and we are sworn to stopping them!" pep talk lately?

Maybe it's just me, but I figured I should stick to my guild's ideals even if NPCs (GMs) aren't telling me about them all the time. When I joined, I was told it was for life, and there would be no chance to walk away from my decision. I've never had any guild leader or member since tell me "By the way, you still can't ever leave the guild", but I've never had to reason to think that that has changed, or that since I've been a good member for years that I've somehow earned the right to be an exception and walk away without consequences.

In regards to that rivalry, if it's the one I think you're talking about, I've known plenty people who took it seriously and we've had frequent discussions of and remarks on the matter, and there actually has been NPC support of it and actions supporting it. Whoever scoffed at you for your character going along with it are the ones to be concerned about.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Avedri

Re: Generalized Abilities Concerns

Post by Avedri »

I'm 100% for these things being supported by guild RP to make them feel more real, and think that failing to make things feel supported and known is not a good thing. What I don't agree with is the sentiment that guild members shouldn't be held to something just because guild NPCs aren't constantly reminding them. Could you really take a Rook seriously if they said "Hey, my guild only told me once (when I was asking about joining) that membership is a lifelong commitment and there's no turning back. They have no right to hold me to that now since they haven't reminded me lately!" Are Templar exempt from their Code as long as their guild NPCs aren't telling them about it again each month? Can Tse Gaiyan decide fighting the resen "isn't their thing" just because their NPCs haven't given them a "Remember, resen are bad and we are sworn to stopping them!" pep talk lately?
Being held accountable is different than the straight up harassment that you were talking about in your original post. Like why would a GM take over an NPC to harass someone when they couldn't be bothered to engage with the character when they were being part of the contributing member of the guild.
I think it's necessary. For example, there's supposed to be a rivalry between Guild A and Guild B, but there are no players who took the rivalry seriously. In fact, when I brought up the rivalry as a reason my character did something, other players laughed at me for it.
It is. The scope of the playerbase is constantly changing and RP supports and reinforces these types of storylines or foundations. I'm looking forward to more guild RP.

Return to “General Discussion”