General Abilities questions

Fayne

Re: General Abilities questions

Post by Fayne »

Tumble takes you out of engaged position, right? Then guerilla tactics plus tumble on an archer would make that person the most annoying person to hit ever. If this is something that I could reasonably do, count me in.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Fayne wrote:Tumble takes you out of engaged position, right? Then guerilla tactics plus tumble on an archer would make that person the most annoying person to hit ever. If this is something that I could reasonably do, count me in.

There's ways to counter that, though. Like stealth, magic. Ranged weapons aimed at the legs.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Tumble doesn't; Flip can. Flip will take a significant point investment to get (even Tumble has prerequisites) and I see extra time out in Position Ranged as an acceptable reward for people who invest enough to get both. This isn't to say that we won't look at the numbers and tweak if we find it to be a little too overpowered.

Note that Flip doesn't replace Tumble, it just has a chance to occur instead of Tumble, and it doesn't happen often enough to be considered something you can rely on occurring.

Also, what Lysse said. Fight smarter, not harder!
The lore compels me!
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Still, I would not mind investing in that! Here's hoping my character concept fits inside the alotted points. Heh
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Only other OP thing I personally can think of at this point would be a shar using bloodlust with rapid fire/volley. That is, if bloodthirst works with ranged weapons, I wasn't sure.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

No self-respecting shar would do that...
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Bloodlust only works for melee, anyway.
The lore compels me!
Lavi

Post by Lavi »

Rias wrote:Bloodlust only works for melee, anyway.
Something About druids going Gaea crazy and shooting people in a blind rage just made me laugh
[ESP-GRAY - Shadowy-Gray]: No no (player) , you were right, it's wonderful. I think I'll send in my application today. I can't wait to partake in the parties there. I just have one question, will I need to kidnap my own child, or will there be some there for those who are un able to.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Lavi wrote:Something About druids going Gaea crazy and shooting people in a blind rage just made me laugh
Yeah, the Dunwyr crack me up, too!
The lore compels me!
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

I just thought of this a few minutes ago, but will we be able to have the same abilities that we have now due to the whole ability point pool? Or Is it more likely that we won't be able to keep the same abilities that we already have.
Just an example, but someone has all of the mercenary abilities, but suddenly tackle goes up in point value and so this mercenary who use to have all of the mercenary abilities doesn't have one of his abilities any more due to lack of points. Should we prepare for this type of situation, or is it likely that we'll be able to keep the abilities that we have now if we don't take any other extra ones.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Will any abilities be mutually exclusive?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Some guilds have more than 20 abilities currently, so no, not everyone will be able to keep all their abilities they currently have.

Some abilities will be mutually exclusive. Haven't decided which, yet.
The lore compels me!
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

You said basic trainings were getting nixed, right? so will mercs be getting a 150 point hit to their weapon skill of choice? or will the new general mastery things have similar x amount of point increases to lessen the hit a bit?
Vaylon

Post by Vaylon »

Since general abilities are still being worked out, I have been looking over the abilities and noticing minor conflicts or overlaps. Zoiya mentioned that it might be helpful to post our observations or questions on the BBS, and I figured this thread would be just as good a place as any. Here are some things I've noticed:

It's odd that Bushcraft Basics gives a bonus to skinning and butchering, but you can't skin most things without Skinning Focus. You'd think Bushcraft would be a prerequisite for Skinning Focus -- or at least that there would somehow be some interplay between these two abilities.

Kidneyshot used to be included with Tactics: Dirty Tricks, but I see that it's been separated into its own ability. I had no particular interest in the ability to begin with, but I have my doubts that people will choose to spend a precious ability point on kidneyshot when there are better dirty tricks to get. Perhaps I am mistaken.
"I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy." - The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I have a super basic question - what weapons are able to be used with Melee: Disarm? The ability description isn't very specific about what would or would not work with it. It just says "weapon" but I have a feeling some weapons won't work for it. Could the wording possibly be updated to give that information?

Information on Melee: Disarm:

Disarm is a powerful swing with a twist of the wrists which attempts to pull an opponent's weapon from their hands.
(OOC: Attempt to disarm an opponent and knock their weapon to the ground. Factors which increase the chance for success include wounded hands and arms, being disabled or tired.)
Usage: disarm [target] (requires a weapon to disarm with)
Prerequisites: Melee Focus
sona

Post by sona »

also, can you disarm with brawling?
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

There is a separate disarm as a brofist guild ability that used to work with brawling. I tried it yesterday and it wasn't functioning unarmed. Probably also the case with the generalized ability that requires a weapon.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

You can't with brawling - not with that ability anyway, though I wish that was a thing. It requires weapons, I just want to know which kind of weapons it actually works with.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Vaylon wrote:Since general abilities are still being worked out, I have been looking over the abilities and noticing minor conflicts or overlaps. Zoiya mentioned that it might be helpful to post our observations or questions on the BBS, and I figured this thread would be just as good a place as any. Here are some things I've noticed:

It's odd that Bushcraft Basics gives a bonus to skinning and butchering, but you can't skin most things without Skinning Focus. You'd think Bushcraft would be a prerequisite for Skinning Focus -- or at least that there would somehow be some interplay between these two abilities.

Kidneyshot used to be included with Tactics: Dirty Tricks, but I see that it's been separated into its own ability. I had no particular interest in the ability to begin with, but I have my doubts that people will choose to spend a precious ability point on kidneyshot when there are better dirty tricks to get. Perhaps I am mistaken.
I think the dirty tricks point is very good. I'm concerned about the marginal benefit from spending 7 ability points to learn dirty tricks. Perhaps these could be condensed a bit? Some information as to whether these are still primarily reliant on stealth would be wonderful also. It looks like stealth is not a prereq so I'm wondering if the roll has changed. Would hate to invest in these with a non-stealthy brawler and find out I need lots of stealth for them to be effective.

Agree with the bushcraft thing!

Return to “General Discussion”