Character based twitter accounts?

preiman
CLOK Patron

Character based twitter accounts?

Post by preiman »

This started out as a joke on chat, but the more i think about it the more i think it might be an interesting idea.
It goes as follows, we create social media accounts for our Clok characters. we then interact with each other and with other people as those characters. I think this could be an interesting way of attracting people to the mud. much like similar accounts have done for TV shows and Books.
I wanted to Gage reaction though before i got started. see what people think of the idea, and to see who else might be interested in doing this with me.
So what do you think?
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
jilliana

Re: Character based twitter accounts?

Post by jilliana »

I'm not for the idea.
There will be drama created, IC taken OOC (and we have some of that going on already) and I can probably think of more reasons why it's not so great.
Things can happen that may reflect negatively on the game.

That's just my opinion. It is ultimately up to the GM's, and it actually doesn't sound like something they can control.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

My intent was to have the Twitter account be a mock of my own character, and I would consider it separate from my CLOK persona, though based on it. I would certainly do and say things my character would not, to keep with the modern medium and to make things more interesting.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

i think some drama and meta are inevitable, but I can't think it would get much worse than it is already.

though my hope is that the good would outweigh the bad.
we need new players. and that's getting harder and harder considering this is a type of game that is not exactly popular with the gaming community at large. more and more muds and fewer and fewer people to play them.
I hope this might be something that might attract a little interest from people who might not have otherwise considered the game or even heard about it.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

So why not just talk about it? Here's an example of something I would post on Twitter with the understanding that my followers are already aware that I play CLOK:

"Wow, Jill finds yet another assassin. Too bad she can't be the killing type. Murdering Corvite?"
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

I think that the idea, if done correctly, could be loads of fun.

The way I see it would be a public way to express your character's views and what not that are game related. For instance, for jake I would post something like, "Ugg. I just paid for the wrong lesson #forgingzombie #badtimes".

Or, "Clang....clang....#repetitive #thisisgivingmegrayhair," or "Wow I sure did repair a lot of weapons today, Kent is a cheap jerk! Interested, hit me up on the pendant!"

I think that it could give an interesting persona to our characters in a way that is part of yet not part of the game. I do think though that it would have to be done by those of us who would be aware and not take things out of the RP environment, for instance:
@theOldGranny Hey it's jake. your stuff is ready. Next time you are aware!

But I do see how it could be fun....only if done right.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

merin wrote:The way I see it would be a public way to express your character's views and what not that are game related.
Too bad the last attempt at publicly expressing a character's views and revealing some of the thoughts that drive in-game actions was shut down pretty hard because someone got upset.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

Elystole wrote:
merin wrote:The way I see it would be a public way to express your character's views and what not that are game related.
Too bad the last attempt at publicly expressing a character's views and revealing some of the thoughts that drive in-game actions was shut down pretty hard because someone got upset.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

My account has been created: @al_candelori
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

A sample of my tweets, which I hope will not ruffle any feathers:
Fighting against cryomancy-wielding nethrim in the rain is not a good idea. #almostdied
Enjoying some hearty flatbread from the Church mess hall. #pointlessfoodpost
If CLOK staff prefers I not continue, I will happily cease.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Makkah wrote:(Need a tissue?)
Nope. Just pointing out that it's interesting that players are looking for a voice for their thoughts but since the provided outlet (which was experiencing a surge in interest and has now, sadly, gone dormant again) was shut down players are now looking at off-site options. Unfortunately, I predict a staff warning coming down on this concept too though I'm not sure how they'd enforce it. Otherwise it might be fun.
Don't run. You'll only die tired. #CLOK #Outriders
Protip: Wearing all black and a hooded cloak screams 'I'M AN ASSASSIN. PLEASE SHOOT ME.' #CLOK #stealth
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Following!

I don't have an issue with people tweeting CLOKy stuff. We of course don't have any ability to control your twitteriness, but I would ask that people at least try not to "out" people or events or other secretive/sensitive stuff in this fashion. Examples of Tweets that would make me super sad:
Just found out Stanley is a Claw, everyone be on your guard. #clawsux #nosecrecyforyou
This new thief ability is sweet, so nice to be able to [insert secret thief ability info here]. #thievesrule #stealinurstuff
Had a talk with Winston and got a secret mission to start an invasion in Shadgard soon, so excited! #downwithshadgard #corvus4ever
Wow, just found a secret hideout behind the tapestry in Town Hall, so cool! #newstash
The lore compels me!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

And also, I might actually start paying attention to the Contrarium twitter account! I just saw that a bunch of people followed it and some asked questions on it. Oopsie.
The lore compels me!
baerden

Post by baerden »

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Protip: Wearing all black and a hooded cloak screams 'I'M AN ASSASSIN. PLEASE SHOOT ME.' #CLOK #stealth
I resent that.
keah

Post by keah »

Now trying to decide which of my chars should have Twitter, but if anyone wants to follow my personal stuff, my Twitter name is CerenitysHope.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Hmmm. Some sample twits (that's right, yah?) from Acarin:

Going to stab someone in the eye #pinkrainbowunicorn

Acarin's going to put a claw through someone's eye #clawineye #idontunderstandhashtags

Time to cut some throats with this pie #pieissharp

Please follow!
Ragib

Post by Ragib »

Haha, Acarin, that rhymes!

I guess mine would go something like...

Is that your riln? Nope. Yoink!

Return to “General Discussion”