Month of no CHAT?

Lun
CLOK Patron

Month of no CHAT?

Post by Lun »

Perhaps it would be a good idea to test out whether or not removing CHAT would fly with players by announcing a test period of a month CHAT-free? We can keep QUESTION to help out anyone with any type of question, and try to keep things IC.

*There'd still be tells, so if people want to chat or share SKYPE details or something or other, they can do so.
Drayla

Re: Month of no CHAT?

Post by Drayla »

I can second this. I don't know how mich I will like it, as I am someone who actually supports CHAT staying and would be sad to see it go, but I am willing to give this a try.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

An intermittent chat free weekend is enough for me...
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

As much as the idea sounds fun and appealing, it's a bit unbalanced to have it for a whole month. Some people need some kind of OOC outlet to keep their IC in perspective. I'm down for a week or so, but after that you just want to let loose to your friends on the game, or even give feedback OOC on something happening IC. An example of the latter would be if a group of people are misinformed IC about something and need to be told otherwise without the intervention of a GM. No OOC outlet can backfire majorly.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Point 1: The BBS is the method we prefer people use for serious discussion of suggestions, mechanics questions, and so forth. Not chat (GMs rarely listen to it, so we can't correct erroneous info uttered on it).

Point 2: As much as I like the idea, I wouldn't suddenly cold-turkey everyone into a full month of no chat.
The lore compels me!
faylen

Post by faylen »

This is pretty much just repeating what I've said elsewhere, but I think a month of no chat would be going way too far. A few days here and there, sure, although I hope next time that tells stay active. Disabling chat during major IC events I'm all for.

Chat can occasionally cause IC/OOC crossover, I definitely acknowledge that. It also provides an ooc community, even among people having IC conflicts and I feel that that is an important aspect to the game. And while as Rias said, serious discussions of mechanics or questions should be here, sometimes just actively brainstorming on chat is fun, too.

I admit sometimes chat gets on my nerves, either because it's to spammy for me to focus on rp or because it's disrupting my emersion or because a discussion is making me uncomfortable. In those cases, I just turn it off. It usually comes back on when I'm grinding something like woodworking and bored and let me tell you, at times like that I'm very grateful for it!

Return to “General Discussion”