Stonecrafting

Skjotur

Stonecrafting

Post by Skjotur »

I've used woodcrafting to make a nice flatbow, now I want to make myself an axe and a hammer. The trick is that I'd prefer not to involve metal, preferring to instead go more all-natural, avoiding the industrial smelting and forging processes. I was wondering if there would be the possibility for stonecrafting, where we could make stone weapon components. Flint and obsidian are some historical examples.

I've seen obsidian-headed spears in the game, but I don't know if they're inferior in any way to ones with metal heads. If we wanted to keep things realistic, these stone weapons could do less damage as they wear down, and break after so many uses. I would actually enjoy crafting myself a new tool when the old one is too worn out.

An obsidian or flint axe would be excellent against bare skin and decent against leather armors, but the edge would be pretty useless against armor of harder materials, I think, though the sheer force of impact should still deliver some damage, but at huge expense to the edge of the weapon. Thankfully the hafted weapons skill is diverse in its weapons array, so I could carry around a good old-fashioned stone hammer for enemies in heavier armor, and save the wicked sharp obsidian axe for enemies in lighter armor or without armor.

Along with weapons, it'd be nice to be able to carve some trinkets and tools as well, like you can with woodcrafting.
Last edited by Skjotur on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Landion

Post by Landion »

It is definitely something to consider. I'll talk with Rias about it and see.

You are listing a lot of different components in this idea.

- New materials (Obsidian was almost added to mining, but I left it out.)
- A way to gather those materials (Quarrying)
- A new crafting style/skill
- Updates to all weapon for damage and repair (Already on the distant to-do list for the future, just a lower priority)

Certainly possible, so we'll see, I'll add it to my crafting ideas to go over.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Are we getting carpeting? Cause then you'll have to add metal work and stone masonry for the relevant materials.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Get to it, Landion! *cracks the whip*
The lore compels me!
Landion

Post by Landion »

Now that we have skinning, I do want to create a process of creating leather, and a leather working skill which allows people to make armor and possibly some clothing(boots, tunics, gloves)

Thicker armors like Brigandine would take twice as much leather, and the studded leather types would require a bit of blacksmithery added in(spikes from blacksmithing)

I'll see...

I'm currently doing some research on leather tanning and its process. I want it to be realistic, but not painfully annoying in game. Actually tannning leather takes days and days.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Brigandine should require metalsmithing, as it has a layer of metal rings/plates/discs/studs attached to it.

We've got leather scale, and I've recently considered adding a rigid leather (boiled/cuir boilli) class. I should do that, it'd be easy to do.
The lore compels me!
Landion

Post by Landion »

Mmm, yeah. I see a lot of the mid-class armors using both metal and leather.

I need to figure out how to let people make chain type armors, eventually. But... first things first!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Chain armour: Links made then separately riveted together. Unless of course your a ridiculously fast master blacksmith where you just make ye links and hammer them together before they've cooled. They cool really quickly though cause they are so small.
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

On this subject can we have artistic metalworking and masonry at some point?
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

And glasswork to gain the ability to make stained glass to upgrade homes with artistic additions?
Last edited by Isiaa on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

If I'm not mistaken there has been talk of player architecture in the past.
Speaking to Garith, you exclaim, "Ban' baaan'!"
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Player architecture has been on the "stuff we really want to do ... sometime" list for a while. Getting a little closer, since Landion added sawmills for processing lumber.
The lore compels me!
Landion

Post by Landion »

Yeah, the fun thing (or troublesome depending on how you look at it) about crafting skills is they all build on eachother.

We couldn't release blacksmithing without mining and smelting being worked out completely, for example.

This is my long list of "to design and code" stuff that I'll work on as time goes on:

You can kind of see the skills that build off of eachother here.

- Skinning (Coded/Released by Rias)
- Leather creation (Released)
- Leather working (Clothing/containers/armor creation)

- Quarrying? (Right now we're planning to simply add flint/obsidian to mining.)
- Stoneworking/Masonry
- Weapon crafting - (More natural process and seperate from blacksmithing. using both woodworking and stoneworking)

- Logging - (Complete)
- Sawmill - (Complete)
- Plank cutting
- Carpentry/Architecture

Mining(Released)
Smelting(Released)
Blacksmithing(Released)
Lapidary(Released)

- Jewelry crafting (Uses products of lapidary and blacksmithing)

- Mid range Armor creation (Brigandine, scaled leather, scaled metal, chain armor etc.)

Rithiel's realm:

Woodcarving(released)
Fletching(released)
Foraging(released)
Alchemy

So, if you see things you'd like to suggest, or add to this list, feel free. I've been a lot busier with work lately than I normally am, so it may taking longer than in the past to get some of these systems rolled out.
Last edited by Landion on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

And don't expect anything big from me until the summer (but then I'll have no excuse to not get stuff done.).
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel

Return to “Stonecrafting”