Knapping

Rithiel

Knapping

Post by Rithiel »

The new professional skill KNAPping has been released. As of now, this can only be increased (and is only useful for) making arrowheads from obsidian. However, eventually you will be able to make axes and other similar tools.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Thank you! I love how things are developing. Many thanks to the GM team.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

I have one request for arrowheads: can we get the time lowered? It takes me about as long to knap a broadhead as it does to carve a flatbow.
Last edited by Skjotur on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

It's now possible to knap the following:

- axehead
- hammerhead
- knife

You must now knap flakes to make the small flakes to be turned into arrowheads.

A stone knife can be used as soon as you're finished knapping it. Things like wrapping leather around the hilt, or attaching it to other hilts may be available later.

You may attach a stone hammer- or axe-head to a carved haft. The haft can be any of the following types: pickaxe, mace, handaxe, warhammer. You must have at least 1 leather strip in an open container you are wearing to bind the two pieces together with (bundles work as well).

Stone weapon pros:
- Less time to make
- Lower skill checks when crafting
- No special facilities required (no need for a furnace, forge, anvil, etc.)
- (eventually) obsidian will be extremely sharp at high durability levels (bonus to hack/slash/pierce damage)

Stone weapon cons:
- Quality rating capped significantly below what is possible with metal weapons
- Cannot repair
- Break easily
The lore compels me!
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Great news. I know what I'm doing tonight. Thanks so much for this.
-Hamlin Garland
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

So... once you get a flake do you need to carve the arrowhead? Is there also a way to get flakes to go directly to a handcart or wagon you have in the room instead of them all just falling on the floor?
Last edited by Kiyaani on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Once you make flakes, you pick up a flake and knap broadhead. As far as going into a cart, I'll consider it!
The lore compels me!
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure what a 'broadhead' was.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Since you can't do knapping without a tool already, would it be possible to be able to forage for a large rock to use as a hammer for knapping?
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Good call. Foraged flint and mined quartz from this point on can be used as a knapping tool (pieces existing previous to this change won't work).
The lore compels me!
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Cool! Thanks greatly.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Would it be possible to be able to make heads for spears out of stone, and attaching those to spear hafts?
Last edited by KianTheArcher on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Good idear!
The lore compels me!
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

I think the rate of skillup for knapping should be decreased slightly. I'm getting skill points really fast, and I'm not even studying the skill.
-Hamlin Garland
Lysse

Re: Knapping

Post by Lysse »

I had a couple of quick ideas today that I thought might be nice for knapping, regarding materials.

Quartz is a knappable material in real life, just as it is in the game. It's not commonly used, because it's quite difficult to work with, but it can be knapped. On this same train of thought, it seems as though it would be appropriate in this game for different varieties of quartz to qualify as a material for knapping. I know that amethyst exists in the game, though I'm not sure if any other varieties of quartz (like citrines) exist as I am not very familiar with the mining profession.

It might also be nice to add in something like agate and jasper to the game, both as semiprecious materials for lapidary and for the use of knapping.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Necro'd! Jasper is the only thing mot in the game that you mentioned I think, but I would like to see more knappable materials personally. Maybe we could add a fictitious material or two? Or perhaps just take what we already have and make them knappable even though they aren't IRL. Nothing says we can't bend the rules of reality a bit here and there.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I'd prefer if the knappable materials were kept in line with what's knappable, in real life.

http://www.thudscave.com/petroglyphs/knappable.htm

This is a great list of knappable lithics, that can be used in real life and I imagine could be translated into the game.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”

Return to “Stonecrafting”