Skinning Focus vs Bushcraft: Basics

Xyra

Skinning Focus vs Bushcraft: Basics

Post by Xyra »

So, there seems to be some confusion about what exactly Skinning Focus and Bushcraft: Basics do in regard to skinning. I've asked a couple times and gotten that apparently Skinning Focus will give you full skinning ability, access to all qualities of skin, while Bushcraft: Basics will only give you up to average quality. Having them both together does nothing as far as skinning is concerned, as Skinning Focus overwrites Bushcraft: Basics as far as skinning goes, but Bushcraft: Basics says it gives you a 10% bonus to skinning, does that still occur? Is that overwritten as well?

Just curious because I'm interested in learning leatherworking and getting the skins myself, and I want to know if there is any benefit at all (as far as skinning is concerned) to having Bushcraft: Basics in addition to Skinning focus.

It would be nice if the results were added into the Skinning Focus and Bushcraft: Basics descriptions, because as it stands I got Bushcraft: Basics because it claims to do everything Skinning Focus does and more, but it seems Skinning Focus is the ability you actually want if you're just interested in skinning, and not the various other benefits of Bushcraft: Basics. And nothing at all is stated about how they interact. I know you GMs have a ton on your plate, and it's an easy thing to let the description slip through the cracks, so thank you for all the work you do.
Vinz

Re: Skinning Focus vs Bushcraft: Basics

Post by Vinz »

Alright so this is how this works.

If you have skinning focus, you are able to skin anything AND are not limited to any quality. You don't need -any- other abilities for skinning IF you take this ability.

If you don't have skinning focus but DO have bush-craft basics, you are able to skin UP TO average. There is no bonus given. So if your looking to get skins that are above average, then you must have skinning focus. If average is cool with you then bush-craft basics gives you a bunch of other advantages and this. Skinning focus unlocks the highest qualities.

This is from Bushcraft basics -
(OOC: Unlocks the ability to light fires with a fireboard and spindle, raises the maximum quality of skins produced from skinning from terrible to average, and affords a 10% bonus to clothing warmth versus cold temperatures.)

Without any powers you CAN skin things, but the quality will ALWAYS be crap.
-*- GM Vinz -*-
Haite says, " ...Diamonds are also hard, really really freaking hard."
Xyra

Re: Skinning Focus vs Bushcraft: Basics

Post by Xyra »

Oh, I think I kept reading the 10% bonus to clothing warmth and thinking it was a 10% skinning bonus. Thanks for clearing it up, time to start unlearning bushcraft then.

Return to “Leathercrafting”