Skinning - progressions

sona

Skinning - progressions

Post by sona »

Hey folks,

Not sure where else this would go, so I'll plop it here. I know there's a few areas where very basic beginner skinning can happen. Are there areas which progress sequentially in any manner of sense. Maybe one area is good for average plus skinning 0-100, another few areas you'll be able to progress most skinning around the lost lands at an exquisite level?
Lun
CLOK Patron

Re: Skinning - progressions

Post by Lun »

Coastal Cliffs! That area can get your skinning up to pristine pelts on its own. The range of critters and their skinning difficulty can give you skinning levels for a long time. Try the bats.

Buy my book!
sona

Post by sona »

well, I wasn't sure if I should name specific areas, but I've done skinning in the coastal cliffs (and bought your book), and I can say, mechanically, where I am skill wise, my average skinning breakdown is roughly: 20% fine, 70% exquisite, 10% pristine. Yet, when I tried to skin a badger, or bear, suddenly my qualities dropped to terrible/poor. Which is why I'm curious if there's different options, which I've tried asking about and investigating ICly to progress the difficulty on other skins, slightly. Not jump from, "relatively easy" to "absolutely insane"
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

The badgers at the mill are infested, and have nasty hides. Infested pelts will always be terrible.

Not that I enjoy having a bounty on my head or anything, but a Bryce scalp with hair still attached would probably sell for 793,022 riln. Give or take.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

You could try the jungle swamp of doom. Or wait and see if a bears/wolves alternative comes back... or possibly the wolves in the pass. I assume you don't want to go to Stone Canyon or hunt the wilds.
sona

Post by sona »

I need to improve my skinning skills, so I don't just end up with another terrible Bryce pelt. Those never sell. Also, now you're probably just giving Ardor ideas :P
sona

Post by sona »

even tested hunting in the wild. Terrible/poor quality
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

You still get skillgains from the Cliffs creatures. Lizards and crabs are on the "really easy" scale. You can also hunt in the prairies for rabbits and stuff but it's going to continue giving you terrible/poor for a long long time.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

You could take Kiyaani's advice and try the swamp. Have fun in there.

Although, if you're getting mostly exquisites, it sounds like you're pretty good already. If there's nothing around that you can't skin well, maybe you're already the best.
ask jes for date
sona

Post by sona »

It just strikes me as odd, going from exquisite in one thing, to terrible at another. That's why I'm asking if there's a stepping stone towards being decent with non-cliffs stuff. Swamp could be worth a shot, but sounds a bit insanely dangerous for a "try to get modestly better" area for skinning.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

The terrible pelts are because they're infested. The pelt is terrible before you even try to skin it, covered in grody infested tumors and stuff. So it's not a matter of skill rolls, you could have 9,000,000 skinning skill and those badgers will still give you terrible pelts.
ask jes for date
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I've never tried skinning swamp crocodiles, they might be a step up. You can use the hunt command to spawn them in the swampy areas west of Haiban, I'm pretty sure. Doesn't Kent skin those sometimes? Want to chime in, Kent?

If you want to get better at skinning all on your own, you'll probably need to learn to fight in the more dangerous places, like the swamp, to get at the creatures that are harder to skin. That or ask/hire someone to come help you take down the critters so you can get their pelts, teamwork is always fun.
ask jes for date
Barius

Post by Barius »

I actually thought the skinning on coastal cliffs was pretty odd, myself. It's ridiculously easy for someone with almost no skinning skill to get good skins off of things there.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Bryce wrote:I've never tried skinning swamp crocodiles, they might be a step up. You can use the hunt command to spawn them in the swampy areas west of Haiban, I'm pretty sure. Doesn't Kent skin those sometimes? Want to chime in, Kent?

I got some exquisite skins and a few pristine from the crocs. But until the bug gets fixed, we can't make any more crocodile skin items, so I haven't been skinning them lately.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Vinz

Post by Vinz »

Whats the croc skinning bug?
-*- GM Vinz -*-
Haite says, " ...Diamonds are also hard, really really freaking hard."
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Bug ID: 8924 (Open) Submitted by: (player name withdrawn) on 04-24-2014 14:15 in sg_tanner_workroom
Bug Info: I made some crocodile skin boots, but when they came out, it was 'some well-crafted crocodile fur boots'. Can you fix this and also delete the fur adjective on my boots, please?
I just burst out laughing at this one. Way to start the morning, lol. Crocodile fur. :-D

There is currently no support for reptile skins in the leatherworking system at all. These skins shouldn't even be compatible with the leatherworking commands until support is added. That was an oversight.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Jirato wrote: There is currently no support for reptile skins in the leatherworking system at all. These skins shouldn't even be compatible with the leatherworking commands until support is added. That was an oversight.

Code: Select all

animaltype = target['commodity'].replace('skin_','').replace('_pelt','')
                            animal = animaltype
                            target['noun'] = 'fur'
                            target['material'] = 'fur'
                            if animal in ['salamander','basilisk','goanna','crocodile']:
                                target['noun'] = 'skin'
                                target['material'] = 'skin'
I stand corrected. This looks like it has been fixed for awhile. Which bug are you talking about?
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Sorry for the post spam. I identified the bug and am working on a fix now. It's going to require some significant modificaiton to several different files, so might take awhile.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Jirato wrote:
Jirato wrote: There is currently no support for reptile skins in the leatherworking system at all. These skins shouldn't even be compatible with the leatherworking commands until support is added. That was an oversight.

Code: Select all

animaltype = target['commodity'].replace('skin_','').replace('_pelt','')
                            animal = animaltype
                            target['noun'] = 'fur'
                            target['material'] = 'fur'
                            if animal in ['salamander','basilisk','goanna','crocodile']:
                                target['noun'] = 'skin'
                                target['material'] = 'skin'
I stand corrected. This looks like it has been fixed for awhile. Which bug are you talking about?
Hmmm. Not knowing how the coding was set up, I believed only the word 'skin' was looked at (as opposed to 'pelt') and made a recent bug submission to the effect that none of the reptile skins would work after trying to do lizard skin and snake skin.

One Fix: Add lizard and snake to the above four listed animals

Alternate Fix: Have it trigger off the 'skin' aspect of the material being leathercrafted, so that no matter which reptile or amphibian mob is added in the future, leathercrafting will work on its skins.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Necro Thread Time!

I've kind of gotten to a point where it feels Skinning progression just doesn't offer much in the way of a place to go.

Kelper/Wildwood/Canyon (With exceptions to one type of mob which isn't really huntable) no longer give gains for skinning (Though butchering still does). I can count, 2 possible locations that could be considered hunting grounds for improving the skill. Both insanely difficult with a vast leap in skill required to survive from those before.

I've tried hunting, and maybe I'm just not finding the right spot to try, but I no longer get gains the last time I attempted either in the Swamps on Crocodiles. I know bisons do give gains at this point, and possibly there are others but it would be rather nice if there was at least one hunting ground that offered to bridge the gap upwards between Kelper/Wildwood/Canyon and Desert/Crags.

Of course, entirely possible I am missing stuff. I've not pushed extensively, and I think in the coming weeks I'll possibly go back to poking at this skill more fully and trying to see if I'm wrong in my recollections.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I know this isn't really directly relatd to the thread's topic but even though infested skins always turn out badly, they're decent to practice on.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Hmmm. I'll have to do some testing myself. If you're having trouble getting gains, that means you should be getting good-quality skins from whatever you're skinning (since they're not enough of a challenge to get gains), and in that case, progression for the sake of progression isn't really necessary. That might not be the case, though.

Whatever the case, adding more areas with skinnable critters (that aren't infested) is high on my priority list at the moment, so I'll keep challenge rating stuff in mind. I just need to come up with things that would believably be tougher to skin in some way if it's required. I never liked the idea of things like "Grizzly bears are 10x harder to skin than black bears because they're 10x more difficult to fight in combat."

TL;DR: Looking into it.
The lore compels me!
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Red Pandas. I want to skin them. They'd totally be tough to skin. You'd be crying the whole time. Totally raise the challenge rating.
~Dorn
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Dorn wrote:Red Pandas. I want to skin them. They'd totally be tough to skin. You'd be crying the whole time. Totally raise the challenge rating.
You're a monster! Besides, Shifu would totally own Dorn. Wuxi Finger Hold for the win.
The lore compels me!
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Rias wrote:
Dorn wrote:Red Pandas. I want to skin them. They'd totally be tough to skin. You'd be crying the whole time. Totally raise the challenge rating.
You're a monster! Besides, Shifu would totally own Dorn. Wuxi Finger Hold for the win.
Just think how valuable they'd be though! Also, just think how many people would want to kill Dorn for his red panda fur purse.
~Dorn

Return to “Leathercrafting”