Leather Varieties

Elystole

Leather Varieties

Post by Elystole »

I see that leather now reflects the type of pelt used to make it: soft bat leather, soft bison leather, soft cougar leather, etc.

This is very cool. It adds some nice variety to our equipment, and I am guessing that it will resolve the 'mismatched' bug that I was getting earlier. I am hoping it is reflected in the finished pieces too.

Is there a way to update my pre-existing pieces of leather to reflect where they came from since they seem to have been keeping track enough to produce the 'mismatched' adjective? Or shall I just use those pieces for practice?

(What is the meanest, nastiest thing that I can kill? Going to make a hat out of it!)
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Elystole

Re: Leather Varieties

Post by Elystole »

I've been playing with this some more after tanning all of the pelts I had in reserve.

First, anything made with old leather is "mismatched" even if it should be impossible for it to be mismatched on account of only using one piece of leather.
look on worktable
On the sturdy worktable you see some exquisite soft leather (x34).

EsAvd>
trace sheath holster;lcraft holster
You carefully trace a pattern into some exquisite soft leather with your skinning knife before adding a few stitches along the edges of the leather. You make several cuts along the additional
leather pieces, and begin to stitch them together.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

(energy -5)
EsAvd>
look on worktable
On the sturdy worktable you see some holster-pattern stitched mismatched leather and some exquisite soft leather (x33).
So that's weird.

Second, it looks like the nifty adjective of what kind of leather it is goes away with a finished piece.
EAvd>
(Type stop to stop auto-leatherworking.)
You continue working away at some holster-pattern stitched soft bat leather with your skinning knife, trimming away excess material, and stitching the edges of the leather together.
You finish working away at an exquisite leather holster with your skinning knife, adding some final touches.
(energy -3)
Roundtime: 11 seconds.

EAvd>

You feel fully rested.

get holster
You remove an exquisite leather holster from a sturdy worktable with your right hand.

EAvd>
examine holster
You carefully examine an exquisite leather holster...
Functional and good looking, the holster is quite exquisite.
This item is marked with a letter E circumscribed by a gear.
It is open.
It is a medium-sized item, mainly made of leather.
It can be worn on a belt.
It is a container that can hold firearms only.
Roundtime: 3 seconds.
That's disappointing. I had hoped this change meant that final pieces reflected what they were made out of as there is a difference between kinds of leather. And that was the reason Rias suggested for why leather was coming back mismatched when I was trying to make armor.

So I decided to test that.
look on worktable
On the sturdy worktable you see some exquisite soft bat leather and some average soft bison leather.

EAvd>
trace clothing hat
You carefully trace a pattern into some exquisite soft bat leather with your skinning knife before adding a few stitches along the edges of the leather. You make several cuts along the
additional leather pieces, and begin to stitch them together.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

(energy -5)
EAvd>
look on worktable
On the sturdy worktable you see some hat-pattern stitched soft bat leather.
Ironically, using a piece of bat leather and a piece of bison leather doesn't create the mismatched adjective. So old leather is just bugged for some reason.

With that in mind, I'm not sure what changed to leatherworking or what the point of the change was. Old leather is just bugged so I have a couple hundred pieces of inventory that I can't use, and the new leather shows what kind of leather it used to be but it doesn't matter for the final product. My inventory is going to be much more cluttered since I'll have over a half-dozen varieties of soft leather for no reason when plain "soft leather" would do, and there's no difference between my using one type of leather over another. I was actually looking forward to, for example, a set of buffalo leather or snake leather equipment. And since skins can only be soft or rigid, there is no way to create a set of "snake leather" anything. I tested it with a piece of salamander leather.

As an example of the fact that different types of leather have different textures and don't look the same...

Buffalo:

Deer:

Python:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Leatherworking is something I'd love to give a nice big revamp someday. I was especially excited to release those coral lizards and see people walking around in vibrant pink lizardskin armor and the like - I thought it'd be both cool and funny. Unfortunately the code is very, uh ... hacky ... at the moment, as the one whom originally wrote it is no longer on staff and updates have been done by three different people over time to try and make things work. It'll take a significant looking over to fix it to take into account more details and add more options, which is a personal high priority for me once the first wave of generalization goes live (looking like sometime this month). I know people love crafting stuff, and leatherworking can potentially have a lot of cool options both in materials with some unique (not overpowering) properties and additional customization options.

And of course, that whole super heavy leather clothing issue.

I know a lot of this stuff seems like it should be fairly simple to fix, but codewise it isn't. It's not impossible, it's just time-consuming and will take significant effort (including re-writing of systems), and it currently isn't enjoying the top spot on the priority list so it'll have to wait a bit longer.
The lore compels me!
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

I understand. Just hearing that you intended for the coral lizards' skins to retain their color is encouraging since it shows that where you want to take leatherworking is a pretty cool place.

Thanks for the update. One of these days I will have an awesome Western-themed outfit made out of exotic hides.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Elystole wrote:Thanks for the update. One of these days I will have an awesome Western-themed outfit made out of exotic hides.
Please tell me you plan on your hat being made of vibrant pink coral lizard skins?
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Fayne wrote: Please tell me you plan on your hat being made of vibrant pink coral lizard skins?
Elystole could totally pull that off.
The lore compels me!
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Rias wrote:
Fayne wrote:Please tell me you plan on your hat being made of vibrant pink coral lizard skins?
Who is going to tell him otherwise?
Kent

Post by Kent »

No one has yet fixed the 'tan skin natural' bug and it is remains impossible to make anything out of crocodile skins, lizard skins, etc except soft leather or rigid leather.

Thus, it remains impossible to make another pair of crocodile skin boots like I made last year.

Another PC gave Kent some lizard skins with the request to make her a nice backpack...all Kent can
make her from those is a 'leather backpack' or a 'rigid leather backpack'. :(
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Elystole wrote:
Rias wrote:
Fayne wrote:Please tell me you plan on your hat being made of vibrant pink coral lizard skins?
Who is going to tell him otherwise?
Jilliana! :)
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Just so that you know: The mismatched bug is not, as I previously thought, limited to old leather. Today I had some old-leather items that didn't create the bug, and today I've had new-leather leather items that have.
EAvd>
You carefully trace a pattern into some fine soft bison leather with your skinning knife before adding a few stitches along the edges of the leather. You make several cuts along the additional

(energy -5)
EAvd>
Wait 11 seconds.

Queuing following command: lcraft holster
(You may clear your command queue at any time)

EAvd>
You begin working away at some holster-pattern stitched mismatched leather with your skinning knife, trimming away excess material, and stitching the edges of the leather together.
(energy -3)
Roundtime: 12 seconds.

You continue working away at some holster-pattern stitched mismatched leather with your skinning knife, trimming away excess material, and stitching the edges of the leather together.
(energy -3)

EAvd>
You continue working away at some holster-pattern stitched mismatched leather with your skinning knife, trimming away excess material, and stitching the edges of the leather together.
(energy -3)
Roundtime: 15 seconds.

EAvd>
(energy -3)

EAvd>
(energy -3)

EAvd>
(energy -3)

EAvd>
You finish working away at a mismatched well-crafted leather holster with your skinning knife, adding some final touches.
(energy -3)

EAvd>
get holster from worktable;put holster in barrel;trace sheath holster;lcraft holster
You remove a mismatched well-crafted leather holster from a sturdy worktable with your right hand.

EAvd>
You put a mismatched well-crafted leather holster in the wooden trash barrel that is in the room.

EAvd>
You carefully trace a pattern into some fine soft bison leather with your skinning knife before adding a few stitches along the edges of the leather. You make several cuts along the additional

(energy -5)
Note that this is a holster which only uses one piece of leather. Being mismatched should be impossible. It looks like the code is checking to see if you have leather of two or more sources (not colors) on the table then giving you the extra "mismatched" adjective if there are even if you aren't using mismatched pieces. But that adjective can be changed using the 'lcraft quality' command.

Return to “Leathercrafting”