Scale Leather

Landion

Scale Leather

Post by Landion »

Scale leather is now an option for leather crafting if you are using drakolin scales.

I'm sure this will be expanded later, but for now at least you can do something cool with the drakolin hides. These will be a bit more durable than normal scale leather.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Landion

Post by Landion »

Update on this: There are now several versions of the drakolin providing various color of scales you can use for scale armor.

Some drakolin scales are worth more than others.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

This sounds awesome, thanks Landion! :)
The Rig-Jarl Bjorn gives you a bone-crushing bearhug.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Very cool Landion! Thanks.

Can't wait until I can actually hunt these... something great to look forward to.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

I'ma skin me one next time I find one! Roar.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I'm not saying I think there should be, but I was wondering if there are any other potential sources of scales. The only other critter I can think of would be a salamander from stone canyon although I assume these are more amphibian and less reptile? Is there a large reptile of some sort that I'm missing? It might be interesting to have less durable scales available from another source, with drakolin scales providing a bonus of some sort above other scales (more durable as they are currently, perhaps even added damage reduction) since they are exceeding difficult to acquire.

Again, this is a great addition to leatherworking and I'm really looking forward to jamming my claws through the eyes of a drakolin then making a helm with their scales (to protect my eyes from fists)!
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

That's like asking for another sorce of iron because you can't mine. :D
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

[quote=Evelyn]That's like asking for another sorce of iron because you can't mine. :D[/quote]

No. Not really the same thing at all.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

You want another source of scales because you can't kill dragons? Pretty much the same thing.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

drakolin scales come from drakolin. Any other scales would be several times weaker. If you look at normal snake scales, you turn them into normal leather. Now if we had other magically huge lizards like a 100ft long python..
Last edited by Nootau on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

[quote=Evelyn]You want another source of scales because you can't kill dragons? Pretty much the same thing.[/quote]

Never tried to kill a dragon. But most leatherworkers can't (as there are probably only 3 or 4 people who can, if that). Do they want to be able to make scale? I don't know. Probably. If you look back I was asking if there are any other large lizards in game. I have not suggested adding any.

No need to jump to insults as usual.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

If they want to make scale armor and can't kill a drakolin, they could just purchase drakolin scales from someone that CAN kill a drakolin.

It'd make more sense I think to just allow the creation of leather scale (which is probably on the do to list) instead of creating easier to kill creatures that would let you create the special scale armor.

And I don't see how she's insulting you. She's just saying that it seems like you're requesting another source of scales because you wouldn't be able to kill a drakolin, which isn't too unreasonable a suggestion considering your long absence and the difficulty of drakolins. They have very high offense and defense rolls, and take reduced damage, so they're quite tough to kill.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

If there were other creatures who offered similar scales, they should be just as difficulty to kill, some less some more, then a drakolin.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Maybe I'm not understanding. Is this leather armor that protects as if it was scale class (hinderances like leather)? If so I understand the risk involved in procuring materials. It provides a benefit that is beyond what is available in stores and should be rare.

If this is equivalent to scale armor and represents a previously existing armor class that is now able to be made by leatherworking, then I don't see why you'd only be able to make it out of an extremely hard to acquire material if I could just buy almost equivalent armor from a store.

In this case (what I assumed it was), why are you so adverse to having other creatures able to supply materials to make it. Limiting a potentially common class of armor to materials that are difficult to acquire seems odd.

To use Evelyn's statement... I'm not asking for iron because I can't mine. I'm asking if there is a source of steel somewhere as well. I simply asked if there are any other reptiles out there already that this new mechanic would fit with (Yes nootau, inferior in some way to drakolin scales of course).

And yes, I find Evelyn's approach insulting. A sarcastic comment towards a real suggestion isn't really necessary. It's a valid question and there's no real need to use thinly veiled personal attacks in response.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Leather Scale is already a class of armor. From what I gather, this is the first of the Leather Scale craftable by PCs.

You ask Ferdinan for the details on some lamellar greaves.

A protective garment made of hardened leather scales that can be worn on the legs.

You see nothing particularly unusual about the lamellar greaves.
It is a medium-sized item, mainly made of leather.
It can be worn on the legs.
It is a protective garment, classified as leather scale mail.
It appears to be in good repair.
It weighs 6.0 pounds.

This could be just conjecture and incorrect, but based on the fact that leather scale exists as a class, and the facts that Landion has said that the system will likely be expanded, it's a fairly safe bet that drakolin scale armor seems like a special version of leather scale armor. Which would mean that by keeping it ONLY to drakolin scales for the moment isn't limiting the class of armor overall. It means that this is something special that Landion decided would be a neat addition to leather crafting for the time being. That being said, it's a reasonable assumption that leather scale will be craftable from ANY leather in the future, but Drakolin scale armor will be a special variety.

The fact that he coded it in is nice, and he might already be working on "normal" scale armor. But he also might have more important things on his plate, and did this as just something neat to add it. Which is why I think making other scales available isn't really necessary at the moment. It devalues the idea that the Drakolin scale armor is special over normal scale armor.

As for Evelyn's comment, I still fail to see how it's insulting. If someone said I was incapable of killing a Drakolin (or even something like a bison) I'd hardly find it to be an insult.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Landion

Post by Landion »

Everyone needs to cool it.

Acarin nobody was insulting you, so cool down.

Now, let me explain.

Leather armor
Scale Leather
Brigandine
Rigid leather
Wood Plate
Chain
Scale metal
Plate

Those at the top have the least amount of armor encumberance, with plate having the most at the bottom.

Scale Leather from a drakolin IS scale leather, as far as encumberance goes. It's just a bit more durable, and looks a lot cooler, imo.

Also, it's currently the only way for a player to make scale leather armor.

That's all.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

I thought rigid leather armor was supposed to be just above regular leather. Has it always been that way, or is that new? It seems like my rigid leather armor interferes with channeling and stealth less than my old brigandine armor did.
Last edited by KianTheArcher on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Landion

Post by Landion »

Ah, yes.

Looking at the code again it seems stealth penalties are calculated a bit differently.

For stealth it goes:

Leather
Scale Leather
Rigid Leather
Brigandine
Wood Plate/Scale Metal
Chain/Plate
Landion

Post by Landion »

And yes to what Kian said.

Right now, I just hacked in scale leather armor creation so that it could work.

Later, I'd like to add normal scale leather somehow, or with certain creature's skins. But like Nootau said, snake skin isn't exactly that tough compared to drakolin scales. For now, drakolin scales are the only way to make scale leather and will be more durable than store-bought scale leather + crafting bonuses if the leather crafter is good.

That's a big protection bonus over normal leather and still maintaining reasonable stealth.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Thanks for the information Landion. Looking forward to further expansion to this new addition to leatherworking.
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

If they're based on real world, salamanders won't have scales, but basilisks could be another source since they're giant snakes. Wouldn't measure up to drakolin scales, but they could work for default quality scale armor maybe.

Isn't there something else with scales up around that area? Is it the shardlings? If I remember right, they're kind of like big turtles. What about using their shells for a version of the Wood Plate category?
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Scorpion carapaces could possibly be used for Wood Plate too.

But these things should probably be separate from leatherworking.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

Yea, the shardlings are big, plated lizards too.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Baskilisk scales sounds awesome.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

[quote=Skjotur]If they're based on real world, salamanders won't have scales, but basilisks could be another source since they're giant snakes. Wouldn't measure up to drakolin scales, but they could work for default quality scale armor maybe.

Isn't there something else with scales up around that area? Is it the shardlings? If I remember right, they're kind of like big turtles. What about using their shells for a version of the Wood Plate category?[/quote]

Yah, I checked the salamanders and they're based off of real ones. Basilisks and shardlings would be awesome for a scale source though. Didn't think of that before.
Last edited by Acarin on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Leathercrafting”