Written Stories & Tales

A place to socialize out-of-character and off-topic.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Written Stories & Tales

Post by Rias »

I've put a huge amount of effort into creating the world in which CLOK takes place, and now that I'm no longer involved in the game, I need another outlet to help this world in my mind exist in some greater capacity. I've got a bunch of ideas for short stories that can occur in the world, and I've even started writing a few. I thought I'd pop in here and ask if there was anything in particular that people would like to read about at some point in story form. It can be in the Lost Lands or elsewhere.

One thing to keep in mind is that the story world will be very similar to the CLOK world, but slightly different, and should be considered an "alternate reality". There are a lot of things you do differently for a game than you would for a written story. There's also the matter of my no longer being in charge of the game lore, so there are certainly going to be differences between the game and any stories I write. Here are a few of the primary questions that players of CLOK might ask upon reading the stories I'm writing:

Q: Why did you rename the Church of Light and Knights Templar?
A: When people hear the terms "church" and "Templar", they bring a lot of preconceived notions, judgments, and criticisms with them. This was a big (and highly frustrating) problem in the game, and I'm trying to avoid that with the stories. That, and I always thought "Church of Light" sounded pretty cheesy. It was a placeholder name that ended up sticking, for better or worse (similar to "Grum" and "Grummers").

Q: What happened to elemancy?
A: Elemancy never quite sat well with me in the game from a lore standpoint - it was mostly there because it was too fun not to try my own take on in a game environment. In the stories, elemancy doesn't exist, but it has been sort-of replaced by a more alchemy-like take on things.

Q: What happened to the Fasa people and the Tse Gaiyan organization?
A: These were concepts invented by a friend of mine who was working on the game with me. Seeing as I had virtually no involvement in their conceptualization and never managed anything to do with them through all my years working on the game, I wouldn't feel right writing about them, as they're 100% someone else's creation and labor. I've written in some groups that are similar in purpose (particularly a group dedicated to combating the infested, though the differences will be more than just in name).

Q: Why do some of the Immortals seem to be missing?
A: Mostly likely because, as the above, they were the creations of someone else which I knew relatively little about, and I would feel wrong trying to accurately represent and write about them.

Q: Some of these stories involve events that I recall from the game, and my character was involved in those events! Why isn't my character in the stories?
A: Once again, I wouldn't feel right trying to accurately portray someone else's creation or character. Sometimes I've made vague allusions to a character from the game being involved while never having them actually "on screen".

Q: The characters in the story just had a real tough time dealing with creatures that were wimps in the game. Are the characters in these stories just unskilled?
A: Not necessarily. In the game, we need weak, easily-overcome threats that the players can mow through on a continual basis so that they can feel accomplished and powerful, and so they can advance their skills and power through the game's mechanics. In a story, any threat that is nigh-effortless makes for a boring story. Thus it is that while in the game world a phantom can be dealt with easily in a few moments with a lit torch, in the stories a phantom could potentially be a significant obstacle to even a whole group of protagonists.

Q: Where is the ESP network?
A: The ESP network existed in the game to help players communicate with one another easily, regardless of location. In a story setting, I feel constant long-range instant communications would contribute significantly to cheapening any sense of suspense or mystery.

Q: Why has magic use been toned down so much?
A: Because I feel that magic should be special, not commonplace.
The lore compels me!
Teek

Re: Written Stories & Tales

Post by Teek »

Well, in my head one of the biggest events of recent history was that Battle against the Proud Rabble in Ebon Pass. In my head, it was this huge battle, with arrows everywhere, blood, men screaming and dying. Feel up to trying a short story about that?
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Teek wrote:Well, in my head one of the biggest events of recent history was that Battle against the Proud Rabble in Ebon Pass. In my head, it was this huge battle, with arrows everywhere, blood, men screaming and dying. Feel up to trying a short story about that?
This happened either after I had left, or while I wasn't around. Regardless, I'm mostly going to be writing about things in the world that don't involve in-game events that have occurred, with a few minor exceptions (there are a few NPCs I just can't not write about, but these will be my own NPCs, so I already know everything about them - I won't write things centered around another GM's work or NPCs).
The lore compels me!
Teek

Post by Teek »

Hmm. Well, Plenty of Wyrvardn lore I'd be interested in hearing. Maybe a short story about one of Semut and one of his relic hunts?
Lassyn

Post by Lassyn »

I might be willing to do a short story on the Rabble pass event, but maybe down the line, once all the IC stuff gets figured out.
gralkik

Post by gralkik »

I can't wait to read some material. When do start?? Then how soon to release?
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

You have my permission to write about any of my past cooky characters and interpret them as you wish. I think it would be fun to see things from your perspective.
It's not easy being evil...
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

not as good as coming from a GM that's worked on the game, but I feel the same, anything I've braught to the game, either in action or in character is yours to do with as you will. This includes but is not limited to Granny Sarant, Viridiana, and Maric. Dout you need or want them, but they are yours.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I'd love to read tales about the old Kingdom of Aetgard, and it's fall. Maybe some things written from the POV of the Dunwyr (if at all possible, and if they exist in your short story world).
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

The discovery of the plague and what lead to the quarantine. Such a huge decision to seal off a chunk of land and the immediate effects and reactions is my kind of story.
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Anthropomorphic bowtruckles.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I forgot a big one:

Q: Are the Undying still a thing in the stories?
A: No. I dislike deaths-that-aren't-deaths in stories (and movies, and pretty much anything that isn't a game in which such a silly thing is required for gameplay purposes).
Gralkik wrote:I can't wait to read some material. When do start?? Then how soon to release?
I've started writing a few stories already. Not sure when I'll "release" any of them, but some are going to intentionally be extremely short stories, just so I can have that sense of completion that will inspire me to work on more of them, and also so I can ask for feedback.

Thanks for the suggestions/requests, as they've already inspired a few ideas I hope to get to.
Jaster wrote:Anthropomorphic bowtruckles.
Note to self: In the stories, Jaster is an anthropomorphic bowtruckle.
The lore compels me!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Lysse wrote:Maybe some things written from the POV of the Dunwyr (if at all possible, and if they exist in your short story world).
Oh, they do ...
The lore compels me!
Vestyn
GM

Post by Vestyn »

I would absolutely love to read them. I've often wondered what the lost lands would be like in story form. Really looking forward to this.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Rias wrote:
Jaster wrote:Anthropomorphic bowtruckles.
Note to self: In the stories, Jaster is an anthropomorphic bowtruckle.
I knew you couldn't resist writing about me.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

The tavern went silent as the most beautiful head of hair in the Lost Lands entered. Audible gasps and sighs were heard as the travel-worn Hillfolk removed his brimmed hat to pull a whalebone comb through his flawless, feathered amber hair.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Teek

Post by Teek »

Teek quickly brushed past the fancy Hillfolk combing his hair in the Tavern, his armor clanking as he beelined straight to the bar. Unconsciously, he rubbed his bald head and let out a grumble. Instead he stroked at his glorious walrus mustache. While he might not have a fancy head of hair, few could match the glorious manliness of his mustache, or the sheer excitement to be had when chew his mustache left him with surprise leftovers of his last meal. Glorious.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

The armored Gigan in the corner smiles at both of them, as he feeds the family of birds, that have been living in his beard since winter.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

The dapper Grummer in the dual-feathered hat snickered silently as he slipped a brown mass into the prancing Hill-folk's bag, disappearing unnoticed down the hallway but for the faint scent of horse manure lingering in his wake.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Arms folded and leaning against his favorite gloomy corner, the white armor-clad stranger notices the exchange. He leans forward and shakes his head with a sigh.
"No one knows whether death, which people fear to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good."
Plato
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

A long shadow falls across the face of the dapper young thief as a booming voice causes him to faulter in his escape, "YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY TRAPCARD.".
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Noctere wrote:You have my permission to write about any of my past cooky characters and interpret them as you wish. I think it would be fun to see things from your perspective.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.

Return to “General Socialization”