Character Name Pronounciation

A place to socialize out-of-character and off-topic.
Alaia

Character Name Pronounciation

Post by Alaia »

Some of the character names we have are a bit out there with pronunciation, so I figured why not have a thread where people can elaborate how their PC says their name (or the correct way).

For instance, people were making jokes about the fact that Vanja says "Ja." when she's agreeing and something about it being like "jaw" -- which made me wonder if they pronounce her name that way. Vanja's name is pronounced with a YUH sound! It's Scandinavian. When she says "Ja." just pretend she has a really awful Swedish accent like in the movies.

Then there's Khadija, who is more like Zsa Zsa Gabor in her "ja" syllable. J is a weird letter, yo.

Anyways, who else has a weird name they want to elaborate the pronunciation of?
I play: Vanja - Khadija - Solveig - Alaia
Ahelis

Re: Character Name Pronounciation

Post by Ahelis »

Always thought it was van-ya! ^_^ Lovely name. Although I had a bit of fun wondering whether it was Vanja with the "j" sound similar to how Argentinians (I think?) sometimes pronounce "ll".

Ahelis' name is pretty straightforward, but now that I think of it, this is probably a good opportunity to point out that the E is short, not long, and that the A is pronounced as "ah", not "uh" as we Americans tend to do with destressed A's. So it would be ah-heh-liss, not uh-hee-liss.
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

I've heard people say Coanid like cone ed, and I've heard coa ned, not sure which one I like more. When I first made it I meant for it to sound like cone id. Btw I hate his name, if I could go back and change it I would.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Alicia

Post by Alicia »

Alicia - A-Leash-Ee-Ah

Sefi - See-Feye (as in long i)
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Sneaky wrote:I've heard people say Coanid like cone ed, and I've heard coa ned, not sure which one I like more. When I first made it I meant for it to sound like cone id. Btw I hate his name, if I could go back and change it I would.
Conehead.
Sleilax

Post by Sleilax »

Sly-lax
Lavi

Post by Lavi »

I don't play him much anymore but most pronounce my strange jungle man Rook as Káleem, but it's actually Kal-im the I is short and the n is silent. I love Kalimn's name BTW I don't know why though, most people just call him Kal though.
[ESP-GRAY - Shadowy-Gray]: No no (player) , you were right, it's wonderful. I think I'll send in my application today. I can't wait to partake in the parties there. I just have one question, will I need to kidnap my own child, or will there be some there for those who are un able to.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Lavi wrote:I don't play him much anymore but most pronounce my strange jungle man Rook as Káleem, but it's actually Kal-im the I is short and the n is silent. I love Kalimn's name BTW I don't know why though, most people just call him Kal though.
I actually had a character named Kalimn is another MUD once, one where I was kinda obsessed with it and had like over 100 characters. I think I used a random name generator for it though.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Lavi

Post by Lavi »

That's the spirit!
[ESP-GRAY - Shadowy-Gray]: No no (player) , you were right, it's wonderful. I think I'll send in my application today. I can't wait to partake in the parties there. I just have one question, will I need to kidnap my own child, or will there be some there for those who are un able to.
Alaia

Post by Alaia »

Ahelis wrote:Always thought it was van-ya! ^_^ Lovely name. Although I had a bit of fun wondering whether it was Vanja with the "j" sound similar to how Argentinians (I think?) sometimes pronounce "ll".
That's about right, actually. The van-ya part. It's from a Russian(ish) men's name Vanya which is the Russian version of John. Vanja is unisex.
I play: Vanja - Khadija - Solveig - Alaia
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I pronounce my name Rye-us, but most other people say it Ree-us. Either way is fine with me.
The lore compels me!
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Rias wrote:I pronounce my name Rye-us, but most other people say it Ree-us. Either way is fine with me.
Madness. Reeuss ish the only way. Let us show you the true way and the path Rias.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Some people mispronounce my PCs last name. It's pronounced GUHN-dur-min.
The lore compels me!
Ardor

Post by Ardor »

Rias wrote:I pronounce my name Rye-us, but most other people say it Ree-us. Either way is fine with me.
Pretty sure that is supposed to be Arr-Eye-us.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Rias wrote:Some people mispronounce my PCs last name. It's pronounced GUHN-dur-min.
We have known this reveal was coming for many moons.
Laroremas wrote:. Enjoy your stay and remember, Kent is the main character of CLOK. We must support how we can.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Lavi

Post by Lavi »

There's a little kent in all of us.
artus

Post by artus »

@Rias:
Well, I was the one who pronounced your name Re-us, as my stupid screen reader always does that to your name. Ri-us sounds cooler, to be honest.

My name, I'm sure some people pronounce it in greek accent, "Ar-toos", but it's actually, for me of course, pronounced, "Ar-tus", with t-us, not t-oos. But whatever you pronounce it is fine, though I don't like the way of greek pronounciation in my name.
[CHAT - Event Staff Uyoku likes NOM NOM NOM food]: You are holding a pepper-grilled Uyoku in your right hand.
This GM has been peppered and grillef over an open flame to a juicy perfection.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I always make my character names sound exactly as they look. I have joked about telling people Fayne's name should be pronounced Fawn-yay though, just to screw with people. Hehe
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

Nak-teer! Not nook-tar-eh or Nak-ter or Noc-it-ear.
It's not easy being evil...
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Noctere wrote:Nak-teer! Not nook-tar-eh or Nak-ter or Noc-it-ear.
Oooh, Noc-it-ear makes me wanna call you Noc-it Man now. Hehe
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

I'm totally calling you Nook-tar-eh from now on. Sorry.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Lavi wrote:There's a little kent in all of us.
No. No there isn't.

I have a character that I dislike and if I could I'd have her killed and squelched from the game entirely. Her name is Soshah...or Sosha, I can't remember which. Regardless, I think of her name as being pronounced as SoSha.

I generally try to keep my character names distinct and generally easily pronounced. It's mainly for me since I don't like trying to remember how to spell my own name when in the middle of a pose. :)
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

All hail the Mighty Nook-tar-eh!
The lore compels me!
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Rias wrote:All hail the Mighty Nook-tar-eh!

I think Nook Tar Eh! might be some kind of Klingon battle cry.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
artus

Post by artus »

This topic makes me wanna revive my long lost characters.

Lol, Noctere, I pronounced your name the other way. I pronounced it Nok-te-re, sounds like a screwed up hindi name. Or sometimes I even pronounced it Noc-tear, like tears as in eyes water.
[CHAT - Event Staff Uyoku likes NOM NOM NOM food]: You are holding a pepper-grilled Uyoku in your right hand.
This GM has been peppered and grillef over an open flame to a juicy perfection.

Return to “General Socialization”