Hiatus

A place to socialize out-of-character and off-topic.
baerden

Hiatus

Post by baerden »

Hi.

I'm not going to call out names, so there really is no need to respond or start an argument. I just wanted to throw together something that I was unable to express due to my inability to communicate more concisely and the mob mentality of the chat channel that at times seeks to suppress people's input.

First and foremost, I'm going to set the record straight so that Evelyn won't think this is directed towards her. I felt her roleplay was respectful and didn't devolve into abusive name calling IC and OOC.

Futhermore, there have been more instances of this abusive name calling than what happened just the other night, and quite recently, so this is not an isolated event.

I understand there will be conflict in game. I support it, and encourage it. However, abusive name calling or arguing in circles and the mob mentality is not good roleplay.

We can have conflict and be at odds with one another without being disrespectful and using abusive language like calling people idiots or other childish arguing and behavior.

When a player is feeling like this is happening, and then they resort to chat to possibly address miscommunication or hard feelings so that it doesn't ruin the RP environment, I feel that we shouldn't jump down their throats without hearing them out. The other night I _felt_ that I was not devulging any IC goings on, nor was I calling anyone out by name specifically and I was immediately attacked by the mob mentality to 'keep it IC' when I was trying to address something that has no place in IC conversation.

I wasn't complaining that I wasn't getting my way, even though that was quickly hurled as a response.

I was trying to address name calling and abusive behavior. Whenever I tried to express my hurt feelings, I was told to step away or other insinuating passive aggressive comments. Maybe I misread some things, and I'm being too sensitive.

I understand having a thick skin is vital for being on the internet to preserve sanity, and I would consider myself very thick skinned. But in all honesty, lately I have been getting my feelings hurt, not because there is conflict, but due to the nature in which some of us players have been conducting it. And thats especially hurtful to me because I really like all of you and thought that as players we had a bond of sorts.

We are all human, we can be abusive, and I am not completely innocent. I would like to offer apologies to people I have unintentionally offended or been abusive to on the chat channel.

There is a difference between purposely being abusive and being offensive, and I think we would be a better community if we could be a little more respectful and less prone to mob people IC and OOC for our player base to thrive.

I also understand that I am often taken as a know it all, and that this is abrasive to some people. Please know that I have taken your feedback and have attempted to alter the way in which I present things. I suppose my efforts were not satisfactory and I will continue to work on this.

With that, I'm going to take a hiatus. I may or may not return, my feelings were pretty hurt by the reactions I received when I tried to discuss this civilly.

In any event, I hope the friends that I've made do well and continue to have fun, and I wish the developers good will in all their endeavors and thank them for their gracious commitment to a game I truly loved.
Elystole

Re: Hiatus

Post by Elystole »

A break can do a lot of good. I couldn't come back to CLOK until I stopped caring about CLOK if that makes any sense.

And if you do come back, might I recommend option 25? I've found the game much more pleasant with OOC disabled.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Lae

Post by Lae »

I hope your break brings you peace, and we look forward to your return.
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

Hope to see you around again soon, and that you feel refreshed upon your return. :)
Ahelis

Post by Ahelis »

Hope the break will be refreshing for you! I very much enjoyed our few interactions IC and OOC. Wishing you the best.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Baerden, I do hope you come back, as I've enjoyed having you around on CLOK. You were pretty much the first character I ever interacted with besides my brother when I first joined, you taught Drayla plenty of skills, got her into the Udemi, and really helped me out ICly and OOCly when things were difficult. Since there weren't as many active players around at the time (Less than 10 if I remember correctly, maybe 15 on a good day?) your help was invaluable to me. I do hope you decide to return. As someone who was feeling pressure both ICly and OOCly around a year ago, I can attest that a short break can do some good. So, whether it is 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, or a year, I hope to see you back again. I hope you enjoy yourself while you are gone.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.

Return to “General Socialization”