hello, all! question/connection problems

A place to socialize out-of-character and off-topic.
Ingrid

hello, all! question/connection problems

Post by Ingrid »

Hello, I do hope I'm not posting this in an inappropriate area! First, I'd like to say I'm really interested in joining CLOK, as it has everything I've been looking for: roleplay, community, and a unique world to play around in.

First, a handful of random curiosities I have thusfar:
Is there any sort of mentor system in place for someone who's looking to learn the ropes, both technically and RP-wise? I've been having a look at the WIKI, but I feel like I'd be better able to create a character for myself if I had some insider knowhow, if that makes any sense :p Im also curious how the population is spread thus far, is there a census or something of that nature available? I'd love to play as something less common, but not so much so that I have no one of my own ilk to interact with, if that makes any sense in the context of this game.

and now for my connection problems... or, rather, registration problems. Im using the flash-based client to try to connect, and it prompts me to register, login, or see who is on. I can /who no problem, but when I /register (name) (pass), the prompt returns blank... from there if I type register again it says Im already in the process, but gives me no indication of how to proceed. I can only assume Im doing something wrong because the other functions seem to work. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your time, Im looking forward to getting to know the CLOK-community!
Zoiya

Post by Zoiya »

Register is having a bit of a problem with the flash client, and we're currently working on that. I'm sorry that it's giving you trouble. Right now the easiest solution (at least until the problem is fixed) is to use the custom mushclient to get in.

Secondly, we do have a mentor group in game, and everyone who plays is a mentor in their own way. We have a very active OOC chat and questions are always welcome and encouraged.

We hope you come in and get to know us!
[CHAT - Lil' Skittles GM Zoiya escalates quickly]: *hugs Kent*
[CHAT - Kent "Gunney" Gunderman]: *gingerly hugs back*
[CHAT - Grandmaster Ardor will be NOM'd by a drakolin]: You can give Zoiya a bearhug Kent, she can handle it.
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

If you wanted to go for something less common I would say maybe a Utasa. There are a couple that I know of but I think they're all alts. You could try a Mummer as well but I don't know if there are any others who are active, I've never met one in-game. They're a newer guild so they're probably less developed than others but their information isn't on the wiki yet so I can't be sure.

Really you can go with anything, our population is small enough that there's no guild that is overflowing, except maybe Coalition Traders, and that's relatively speaking.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

It looks like it's just the first step of registration on the web client that's broken. If I just pick a random number, it assigns my race, tells me what it was, and presents the next choice. I'll see if I can get a list of each number and the corresponding race so you can use that to choose and get started.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Here is the text from the first step. So after you type /register (name) (password) then just assume this comes up:
Please choose your character's race:
(Note that the blurbs of info for each race are generalizations and not
necessarily applicable to every single person of that race.)
(To choose an option, simply type the number of the desired option (without a
slash))
1. Faewyr: Proud druidic clans originating from the northern continent, they have a great respect for nature and their ancestors.
2. Fasa: The Fasa li Nuam, a nomadic culture from the plains of the Ancient Lands. They value strong tribal ties and freedom.
3. Gigan: The large, barbaric tribal folk dwelling in the mountains and caves of Sirak Drauth.
4. Grummer: The people of Grum, an industrialized culture developing new technologies, such as clockwork and steam.
5. Hillfolk: The rustic folk of the hills and mountains, they enjoy providing for themselves and working with their hands.
6. Huec: The people dwelling in the vast jungle valley of Tatlhuecan, their mysterious origins are steeped in myth.
7. Mixed: People of a mixed background and heritage with no particularly dominant bloodline or racial traits.
8. Nuum: A reclusive people rarely seen outside their arid homeland of the same name, they are famed for their aesthetics and magical arts.
9. Parren: The easygoing inhabitants of the Parr Isles, these seafolk value freedom, independence, and living in the moment.
10. Rhuidim: The reclusive people of Tol Rhun, banished from Ivial ages ago for their rebellion and practice of sorcery.
11. Viali: The people of the kingdom of Ivial, they place much importance on honor and chivalry, and are often stereotyped as melodramatic.
Just type the number of your choice and hit enter, and the next set of questions should show up in the web client fine.
Last edited by Skjotur on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Hamlin Garland
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

And just so you know you don't choose a guild as part of character creation. You make your character first, then you have to find a guild recruiter to join one. So you can make your character even if you haven't decided on a guild yet.

You can even choose not to join a guild at all. I went without a guild for a long time. You can still develop skills and become good at things, you just miss out on some extra stuff that guilds will get you.
Last edited by Skjotur on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Hamlin Garland
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

In regards to rarity, I tend to see fewer Utasa, Udemi, and Elemancers than anything else. Out of those three, I'd suggest an Utasa as they are fairly easy to play, although at the moment Utasa and Udemi are not allowed in Shadgard.

I would advise against Elemancers, as they can be a VERY difficult class to start with.

There's also typically very few Templar that are very active for long periods of time.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Ingrid

Post by Ingrid »

Thanks to everyone, especially Skjotur. Your registration fix helped immensely! I went with a Parren fisher-woman. So far nothing else going on in her background though, I think I'll need to build her up as I figure out the world. Im excited about how friendly and helpful everyone has been so far! thanks again<3
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

The issue with race selection not showing up on the web-based client has been fixed. Sorry about that.
Last edited by Jirato on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

It's working for me. Thanks Jirato.
-Hamlin Garland

Return to “General Socialization”