Making mercenaries relevant

Mercenaries of the Western Coalition, specializing in nonmagical combat and tactics.
Craig

Making mercenaries relevant

Post by Craig »

We all know that since generalisation, a change which I love by the way, the mercenaries have little incentive over being guildless. They've very few abilities, tasks pay very little still at least in my case, and there are no guild services. I joined the mercenaries some time ago with my main and while it's a nice RP option I half regret it given where we are now. I'm not asking for masses of power, I don't necessarily even want new abilities, just something to make mercs feel like a thing rather than just a name.

I understand the GMs do not intend mercs to be a military force, I agree. It may not line up with how the GMs see mercs but I think of them as a kind of agency that hires out their members for people who need a fighter for whatever reason, there are lots of things in the lost lands that are dangerous and scary from bandits to simple wild animals that have become a threat for a local settlement. Partly because of their association with the artisans I also imagine the merc leadership as a group who would wish to perform what we would call in the modern day a branding exercise, encouraging the idea that coalition mercenaries are competent professionals to distinguish themselves from freelancers and common thugs. We all know how valuable reputation can be in business. Here are some suggestions within this context, I hope this at least starts some useful discussion for the GMs.

Guild shop:
Some kind of worn symbol, be it a cloak, jewellery, or so on that identifies you as a coalition mercenary. Think of this as like having a company's branding on the side of a van, make the coalition mercenaries a visible presence so people get used tot he idea of having them around and are more comfortable approaching the coalition with jobs.
Maybe some practical, rugged clothing or weapon sheaths in order to generally encourage smartness of appearance of coalition mercenaries and make them look more professional.

Barracks:
I see this as more of a hostel for mercenaries between jobs, perhaps have a guild point cost for rent and/or a stable paid for in GP. That said given the new bank system in Haiban which I love the need for the barracks storage is slightly reduced.

Guild services could include repairs, healing or limited amounts of training for GP. Having well maintained equipment would be good for the image of the organisation as a whole, having access to repairs and apothecary services for GP could also be seen as getting mercs back out into the field faster which means more money. Training means more competent mercs which is flat out good for business. I'm not suggesting all three, just throwing them out and seeing if any stick.

If abilities were to be added I'd like to see them for heavy armour since now I'm finding leather scale with tumble far more effective than metal plate, I think I'd rather see that generalised though.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Re: Making mercenaries relevant

Post by Lun »

I vote for a specialized food shop, because food is life.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

Your tasks pay out more the more you do, The coalition does have a ring when you can bye, and I'm reasonably sure you still have barracks, I know you used to
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I know about the barracks, I was just trying to think of a way to make it make a difference. I wasn't aware of the ring so thanks for pointing that out, though no matter how many tasks I've done I haven't managed to get any increase in payout. Does it disappear if you fail a task so it only builds as you succeed then poof? I can only think it's either that or it requires an insane number of tasks to achieve.

Edit:
Come to think of it my merc doesn't show as having any guild points so I'm not sure what the ring is bought with unless it's just riln, I don't recall seeing any shops in the Haiban barracks anywhere either but maybe there's just something I'm missing.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Curiously, the ring is only for sale to Artisans, but all the merc patrolmen wear them.

S/b for sale to mercs also.

How about a free combat or first aid lesson when you turn in a task?

How about a merc infirmary in the barracks where everything is half price? Many a time I had to spend the majority of my task reward cash on medical bills, not really a viable business model.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Craig wrote:I know about the barracks, I was just trying to think of a way to make it make a difference. I wasn't aware of the ring so thanks for pointing that out, though no matter how many tasks I've done I haven't managed to get any increase in payout. Does it disappear if you fail a task so it only builds as you succeed then poof? I can only think it's either that or it requires an insane number of tasks to achieve.

Edit:
Come to think of it my merc doesn't show as having any guild points so I'm not sure what the ring is bought with unless it's just riln, I don't recall seeing any shops in the Haiban barracks anywhere either but maybe there's just something I'm missing.
Ask Dakhal for a ring. Fairly sure he has plenty. He's the Coalition Mercenary Welcomer.

(Couldn't help myself)
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Dakhal

Post by Dakhal »

Dorn wrote:
Craig wrote:I know about the barracks, I was just trying to think of a way to make it make a difference. I wasn't aware of the ring so thanks for pointing that out, though no matter how many tasks I've done I haven't managed to get any increase in payout. Does it disappear if you fail a task so it only builds as you succeed then poof? I can only think it's either that or it requires an insane number of tasks to achieve.

Edit:
Ask Dakhal for a ring. Fairly sure he has plenty. He's the Coalition Mercenary Welcomer.

(Couldn't help myself)
This is not wrong.. I do have a growing collection. Of course, this is purely because he is on such good terms with the Coalition and has performed them many services- that 37 people would give him their rings in honour of his efforts.
Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind.
I lead a Life of Sin.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

+1 for letting Mercs have a chance to buy the ring. Taric had one when he was still a merc, but he maaaay have stolen it off a body and just played it off as having received it legitimately somewhere. No one ever questioned him on it.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.

Return to “Mercenaries”