A Mercenary's Tricks

Mercenaries of the Western Coalition, specializing in nonmagical combat and tactics.
Dorn

A Mercenary's Tricks

Post by Dorn »

Something similar to Artisan's with Forging, unlocking some abilities the further their... Melee? Increases.

Basically, a combination ability that just slowly grants Mercenaries Feint/Disarm without the use of two ability slots. Could even throw in tackle.

Wouldn't get them instantly, as if you'd done it via Generalized, but by a certain Melee, you'd get all 2 (or 3) for 1.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Kunren

Re: A Mercenary's Tricks

Post by Kunren »

Interesting! I like the idea, though I can see some problems in places.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I don't like the idea of combining abilities for one guild while the rest of us are forced to use multiple ability slots. I'm of the mindset that abilities should be the same "cost" across the board. That's not to say that I'm against developing a set of mercenary tricks that unlock... just not free already existing abilities
mercer

Post by mercer »

the mercs could use a trick or 2 sense most of there abilities are either gone or generalized there is nothing making them mercs you could easily be guildless and it wouldnt matter. who noes, that might be the point
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

mercer wrote:the mercs could use a trick or 2 sense most of there abilities are either gone or generalized there is nothing making them mercs you could easily be guildless and it wouldnt matter. who noes, that might be the point
My point is that this is not giving them anything unique. It is consolidating existing abilities... and mercenaries certainly have enough ability slots at the moment. New UNIQUE abilities are certainly deserved, not consolidated old abilities.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

What about the recent combination of two existing Claw abilities that you supported?
The lore compels me!
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Rias wrote:What about the recent combination of two existing Claw abilities that you supported?
My support was for the purpose of consolidation... and these were abilities that were UNIQUE to shar, one of which was considered largely pointless by many to take. They were not two general abilities that a particular guild got for cheaper. I'm not clear why you're bringing that suggestion into this. I have nothing against combining guild specific abilities or general abilities, but I am very much against combining general abilities for a specific guild while everyone else has to use multiple abilitity slots.... especially considering the issue is the mercs do not have enough of their own abilities.

I wouldn't be against combining these in the general ability system, but am strongly against combining them for a single guild. I've suggested other consolidations as well (for guild specific abilities), and I hope the GMs will continue to make these adjustments where appropriate... just not in this manner. I also think that dirty tricks, for example, should be more consolidated in the GENERAL system.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. In that case, I think I agree. I'm also not sold on this idea of combining feint/disarm into a single ability for Mercenaries. They both seem quite potent and effective on their own, and I think are both worth their ability point costs.
The lore compels me!
mercer

Post by mercer »

i agree not like mercs have trouble saving slots anyway
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

I too am against the idea of making any guild abilities to supersede general abilities. The point of Mercenaries and Wyrvardn is they have that much more points to spend on general abilities without having to feel like they're locked in to reserving X number of points on guild-only stuff.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Fair enough. It was simply a simple idea that poked in my head, considering they were both originally Mercenary abilities anyway, so thought I'd post.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.

Return to “Mercenaries”