Highwayman tasks

Mercenaries of the Western Coalition, specializing in nonmagical combat and tactics.
Barius

Highwayman tasks

Post by Barius »

Would it be possible to have these spawned mobs despawn if you decide to remove yourself from the task? As it is now, you not only take the penalty of skipping the task, which I don't really mind, but you still have to deal with the mobs that have spawned, and they are often way above a solo character's skill level - or at least they are in my case. Could this be reviewed, perhaps?
Kunren

Re: Highwayman tasks

Post by Kunren »

Yeah this can definitely be an annoyance, though it does make sense unfortunately. If you don't do your job, the highwaymen are just still there, heh. As for them being way about a solo players skill level...definitely, for me. Especially once they get to the point where more than one spawn per task o.O
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Barius

Post by Barius »

I'll understand if this simply is the way it's going to be, but it does seem rather harsh on the player. Even a compromise of x hours or days before they wander off. But the last time I skipped one of these tasks, they remained in the same spot for weeks.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I'll give them a despawn timer. It'll just be a fairly long one.
The lore compels me!
Barius

Post by Barius »

That works just fine. Thank you!
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Yay. Now when I avoid accepting highwaymen tasks 5 times in a row they wont line the roads and attack me as I go by for forever :D One was at a certain place I passed by so often I named him...poor Fred finally kicked the bucket.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Are these guys still non-hostile to everyone except whoever recieved the task? If so, I definitely think that should be changed so that they are hostel to everyone. They're highwaymen, not training partners, after all. At least make them attempt to pickpocket people as they walk by.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Barius

Post by Barius »

As far as I know. Which is definitely odd, if they're thugs and robbers. It would make far more sense if they popped out at everyone, instead of just the task player. In fact, I'd reckon that would encourage more participation regarding taking them out. Currently, it's the tasked person's problem, and theirs alone, until they plead for aid.
Vinz

Post by Vinz »

Everyone is all about it until they remember its scaled to the merc. Imagine you walking happily along and then a merc with 3k skills takes a task and three guys pop out with 3k attacks killing you almost instantly.

That is partially why they dont attack others. Though making them take non newbie killing actions seems like a good idea!
-*- GM Vinz -*-
Haite says, " ...Diamonds are also hard, really really freaking hard."
xavier

Post by xavier »

and while not as much of a pain the opposite is true too. You accept the task and are heading out to location to deal with those pesky highwaymen only to find them laying dead on the ground upon your arrival ecause they jumped the wrong person with a quick draw and good aim.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Barius

Post by Barius »

Point taken. But, Vinz -
Vinz wrote:Everyone is all about it until they remember its scaled to the merc. Imagine you walking happily along and then a merc with 3k skills takes a task and three guys pop out with 3k attacks killing you almost instantly.

That is partially why they dont attack others. Though making them take non newbie killing actions seems like a good idea!
A merc with 3k skills is going to get highwaymen with 5k attack. At least. Unless you're talking about all the relevant skills added together, but I don't know how that algorithm works, so I can't comment on it.

I can only say that the only skill Barius has above 1k is Armor Use. And the last Highwayman task he got had NPCs with 2200+ attack. I can near enough die just entering the location myself, nevermind anyone else wandering by.
Vinz

Post by Vinz »

I dont know the math myself, just giving the idea of what that might lead too!

Its scary!
-*- GM Vinz -*-
Haite says, " ...Diamonds are also hard, really really freaking hard."
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Highwaymen now:
- Despawn after a long while
- Come in more variety (new types were added, they're not as well-equipped as the originals)
- Don't always show up in two and threes when the tasker's skills get higher. Sometimes there will still only be one or two.

Seeing as the highwaymen despawn now, the task now expires after 24 hours and will be considered a loss.
The lore compels me!
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

Score! Thanks!
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Thanks so much. This particular task always seemed the worst for me, it's seems a lot better now! :D just gotta hope I dont see quite as many blasted archers now.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Thank you so so much for adjusting this task. I cannot express to you enough how annoying this task was.
It probably still is, but eh, we'll see.

I compltely agree that they could do shady things in addition to just attack. Steal from passer's by, etc.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Yeah, I'd still like to see them take actions against everyone. Maybe they could just harress everyone in a non-violent way? Stealing, disarming, tripping, stomping on toes, kicking groins, etc. Enough to be annoying, bot enough to be lethal or anything. As for other people killing them before the merc who got the task gets there, maybe they should get 1/3 the normal reward if someone else takes care of them. I would say no reward, but I could see that causing problems, so I would say provide them with a little skill, but not as much as they would normally get.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.

Return to “Mercenaries”