Using Guild Points for Titles

Mercenaries of the Western Coalition, specializing in nonmagical combat and tactics.
Makkah

Using Guild Points for Titles

Post by Makkah »

Was talking to a fellow mercenary earlier when an idea hit me: perhaps we could use the mercenary guild points as thresholds to earn titles.

Private, Major, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Colonel, Officer, General, etc.

Just a neat little perk and motivation I got.
Blitz

Re: Using Guild Points for Titles

Post by Blitz »

My biggest concern with this would be that before long, half of all the active mercenaries would be Generals.
Gruff

Post by Gruff »

All three of them?

Seriously, I think these titles could be fun for Mercs, Templar, etc...
But that is a large undertaking and obviously we're talking TON's of guild tasks...TONS! Years worth to become the top ranks.

Plus, if you're spending the points to add the title, it would take a LONG time to get new titles, and it would be at the expense of abilities, etc.

Basically making it a source of motivation for AFTER they've mastered all their skills.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Are we talking guild points as in promotion points, or recognition points?
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

I was talking recognition points. Fittingly. And yes, a ton would be needed.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

If these titles are to be seen IC, it would be good to have some sort of badge or other indication to explain how others would know the mercenary's title. These titles do seem somewhat off to me for mecenaries, however. I always imagine mercenaries working individually, and even competitively at times, while these titles give me the impression of soldiers working as groups in unity. It seems too militaristically rigid, where I have always considered mercenaries to be a looser organization of independent fighters, all working for their own reasons. That is just my impression; I could be way off.
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!
Gruff

Post by Gruff »

I kid of agree with Alex.

However, bounty hunter or sellsword titles could be fun, something along those lines.

Return to “Mercenaries”