Regarding Security

A haven for those who have a love of sorcery or little patience for moral and ethical squabbles.
Dakhal

Regarding Security

Post by Dakhal »

I'm not sure how long it's been, but it's been this way for quite a while- our gates are rather unprotected. The small number of guards isn't very ensuring for a militant outpost and I find myself able to sneak past them reliably, as we lack a capable mutt as the other major settlements have. I've tried to have this settled ICly, but I've not received a response in a fair amount of time and so I am bringing it here in hopes that it will be noticed. I understand that there's more than just the guards there, but the other ones don't roll against stealth to my knowledge.
Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind.
I lead a Life of Sin.
Konrad

Re: Regarding Security

Post by Konrad »

I found out accidently how poor the security seemed to be. My first exploration into the area around the outpost had me paranoid, so I snuck around everywhere. It's my understanding that there are archers that are supposed to shoot at folks to ward them off, but, I was able to sneak right up to the gate before being seen and attacked, and that was during my first couple weeks playing.
I have seen darkness, witnessed it in my dreams. I am standing at the edge of a chasm. There is no escaping it, I know my fate. For it is the future and nothing can prevent it coming to pass. So I step off and welcome the dark
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

I am aware of the problem and ICly have reasons to keep things as they are. But I will say this, "Be more afraid of what you -DON'T- see guarding the outpost...."
It's not easy being evil...
Orris

Post by Orris »

That sounds cool! Sometimes I wonder what things would be like if I took Sceptus's offer to be the first Outpost Elemancer. Maybe if he had let me clean the place up a little with hydromancy.
While planning a trip to the haunted galleon with a bunch of people on ESP...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: what are the nether called on that pirate ship again?
[TO Vinz (OOC)]: I'm scared to tell you...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: DO-IT >:)
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

Noctere wrote:I am aware of the problem and ICly have reasons to keep things as they are. But I will say this, "Be more afraid of what you -DON'T- see guarding the outpost...."
Be more afraid of what they don't see. Security is an issue.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I've seen them.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I've seen them as well if I'm correct in what you're referring to. Security still seems to be an issue to me. Just my opinion. It seems like a lot of people have been able to bypass Corvus guards very easily, although I could be wrong about this.
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

There is more going on here than I can share OOC'ly. However, you should know that Winston will only show the extent of his power when he needs to and he will always defend his town when it is in any 'real' danger.

In regards to the comment from Avedri, your particular case was due to your own character negligence and as such was correct for the RP involved. Sorry.
It's not easy being evil...
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

There's only one thing that's negligent about Corvus, fam.
Dakhal

Post by Dakhal »

Thanks for clearing this up, I will say that even with what cannot be seen, I still feel like there's a clear lack of security- but if you insist that should it come down to it, Winston will play his cards, I can't do much else but trust in that. It's just bothered me that I don't begin to feel remotely safe in the place that was designated for people who will be hated by the lands for their views. But that's my own problem that I need to get past.
Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind.
I lead a Life of Sin.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Dakhal wrote:Thanks for clearing this up, I will say that even with what cannot be seen, I still feel like there's a clear lack of security- but if you insist that should it come down to it, Winston will play his cards, I can't do much else but trust in that. It's just bothered me that I don't begin to feel remotely safe in the place that was designated for people who will be hated by the lands for their views. But that's my own problem that I need to get past.
While the NPCs that guard Corvus directly seem not too great, they're actually pretty formidable. They're also, as far as I know, very unique for city guards. So it might be easy to sneak past them I suppose, but they do a very good job of directly guarding the gate.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Orris

Post by Orris »

they could have all members need some special kind magic amulet or better, some kind of magic tattoo that can't be removed or stolen. then the main gate can have something like a veil of nether that you can't walk through on your own, but if you have the tattoo or the amulet, the veil splits open and you can walk through. then people can't sneak in anymore! if that's too restricting for invaders, it could be destroyable with enough hits by fire, iron, and light, or it could be used only during times of increased danger or security. just some thoughts while i was thinking of what kind of unique methods corvus could use for their security measures.
While planning a trip to the haunted galleon with a bunch of people on ESP...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: what are the nether called on that pirate ship again?
[TO Vinz (OOC)]: I'm scared to tell you...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: DO-IT >:)
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

A moat! ... oh.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

Clearly the answer here is that you should bring an army to sneak in and do a surprise attack so that you can find out what the special defense are.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Considering that I cannot sneak into any other town due to guard animals and huge perception penalty gatehouses, it bothers me that this is allowed in Corvus. Any chance a perceptive guard or two could be added, or the room with the guards can be made one of those almost unhidable types? Unless it is intended for anyone with high stealth to be able to walk right in...

While I understand that Winston would certainly mobilize additional forces to deal with any real threat, Corvus Outpost is probably the most restricted major city and the most xenophobic. I assume Winston does not want spies sneaking in that don't appear to pose any real threat?

In the OOC sense, if the defense is not automated, then a GM isn't always around and watching to assess threat level, nor do you know what a player will do while there. I remember a player who snuck in multiple times to kill citizens... You don't know a threat until it's revealed itself as such.

EDIT: If there is a system in place already to prevent stealth entry, I retract my statement; however I'm not aware of one and as Lysse has stated you can sneak in, this is a large gap in defenses.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Undead doggies that bark at people!
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Guess Dunwyr, an attack on the main gates, and waltzing into the courtyard don't count as a real danger. Least the back gate still has a doggie and tons of guards. But then they're there to guard the Coalition bit, really.
Last edited by Dorn on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Dakhal

Post by Dakhal »

A full-scale attack to take down what Lysse to have quoted as rather formidable guards (you know, all two of them), whilst the archers atop the battlements did NOTHING in regards to defense. I'm honestly quite curious what these invisible nuances are, that are so terrifying.
I lead a Life of Sin.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

*bounces around like a happy little bunny*
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.

Return to “Corvus Outpost”