How to join the Corvus Outpost

A haven for those who have a love of sorcery or little patience for moral and ethical squabbles.
Noctere
Coder

How to join the Corvus Outpost

Post by Noctere »

I have heard a few comments lately of players asking how to join the Corvus Outpost so I thought I would write a bit about that.

The two best ways to enter the Outpost are to find a current Corvite to refer you or send a letter to the current leader of the outpost directly. This does not guarantee you access but here are a few things that will help your chances and a few general tips.

#1 We tend to avoid recruiting quick one time alts. (Alternate player accounts)
The reason behind this is that if we let every alt join then we would have a big empty town full of empty alts. Also, from experience many players have shown difficulty separating their OOC knowledge between those alts. Some examples would be Mr. Shadgard player learns that there is an event in Corvus, so he logs off his current alt and onto his Corvus alt. Another example would be a Church player suddenly suspecting that Corvus is up to something, when he himself just did something in Corvus with his other Alt.

#2 Play your prospective Corvus character for a good amount of time.
We want to see how you RP that character. Your character should fit with the Corvus RP BEFORE you join. Be patient with this, take some time to interact with others. This can be done in many ways and does not necessarily mean you need to be a super social person. I have seen some very good RP done by mutes or through actions. Or you can outright let it be known of your stance on certain subjects or of certain afflictions etc etc. In any case, take some time to do this and have fun with it.

#3 Being part of a guild that is considered 'evil' or 'shady' does not guarantee access.
I have seen some instances of a few players that made a quick "shady' guild alt in the hopes of joining the outpost. Once again this does not guarantee that you will able to join. It can however be a sign that you a RPing in the right direction and thus could improve your chances. Vice versa, do not join the templars or monks and expect to be able to join the Outpost.

#4 Avoid killing shopkeepers, players and horses to show how 'evil' you are.
Referencing the old D&D system of moral alignment, most Corvites would fall under 'Lawful Evil'. This means that many of the Corvus denizens are considered evil but they do respect the rule of law enough that they can form together in one area without killing each other, outright. As a GM staff we tend to find the killing of shopkeepers a bit irksome, it -CAN- be done with the right RP circumstances but most people that randomly kill things for no reason would fall under the 'Chaotic Evil' alignment and thus would not be a good match to join a society. Killing other players and horses -CAN- also be done but remember to have a good reason for doing so, don't just kill things to earn evil brownie points. From an OOC perspective griefing is also a BIG no-no, but that is a subject for another time.

#5 Why do you want to join?
Before even trying to join, think up some real reasons why your character would want to. Don't just think "Grrrrr I'm evil, me want join evil place and do evil things!"

#6 How would the outpost benefit from your membership?
What skills do you bring or how do you think you could help the outpost? Are you rich or do you think you could help add wealth to the outpost somehow? etc etc There are many ways to help, so be creative.

#7 Keep in mind that not all Corvites hate the church or dislike those that practice thaumaturgy.

#8 Also keep in mind that once you join, your reputation with Shadgard and a few other places will 'normally' go down.
The outpost has a bad rep with others, this is due to many attacks on the other towns as well as what goes on within its walls.

Last but not least, please do not let this discourage you. WE WANT YOU TO JOIN but we want to make sure it will be a fun experience for everyone.
It's not easy being evil...
Noctere
Coder

Re: How to join the Corvus Outpost

Post by Noctere »

I would like to bump this post as a reminder to any who would wish to join and to add that if you do join, don't expect things to change greatly for your character or to expect anything special from the outpost. In fact, joining the Outpost is more of a disadvantage as you will quickly gain bad rep in other areas and may lose access to certain perks that others places provide. In truth the outpost was always meant to be a bit rag tag and may not have everything that the other towns do.

I would also like to highlight post #3 above and say that if you find a way to join a certain Assassins guild, this will in no way guarantee membership. Please consider membership to Corvus as a completely different RP item.

The main purpose for the outpost has always been to provide a safe harbor for those who would otherwise be scorned or rejected from other places. Often due to taboos such as dark sorcery, necromancy, life altering afflictions or unethical practices. People within are often considered "evil" but must be willing to submit to the will of its ruler without question, no matter how unethical it may seem.

It is -NOT- a place to join just for the sake of looking cool, or dark or edgy or to make your character seem more evil. Nor is it a place to join simply to see, "what is over there". Trust me, too many folks have done that and quickly lost interest when they finally got in.

On a personal note, the wheels of acceptance turn very slowly so please do not be in a rush to join if you wish to. Enjoy playing your character as they are now and maybe someday without notice, you will be invited.
It's not easy being evil...

Return to “Corvus Outpost”