Under new management - what do Corvites need?

A haven for those who have a love of sorcery or little patience for moral and ethical squabbles.
Noctere
Coder

Re: Under new management - what do Corvites need?

Post by Noctere »

preiman wrote:we could use a Hot Topic. oh and do we have a perception trainer?
The hot topic was destroyed by a fashion crazed flesh golem and the perception trainer has been hiding in plain site inside the Meeting Hall. Sneaky fellow....
It's not easy being evil...
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Any chance of some chain armor and a little more variety of weapons in the blacksmith?
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

That's not a difficult request to fulfill but unfortunately there are some lore restrictions to it. Every town has different specialties and goods coming in and out. Corvus is not known for its bustling trade market so I can't really see them having more than a limited supply of some things. Nor do we have an especially skilled blacksmith so we can't rely on that either.

However as it stands, you can acquire a nice set of chain armor and many other things from Haiban. They are neutral to Corvites and offer a very good selection. (Just don't be caught going around Corvus in iron gear as that is a BIG no no.)
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Figured that was going to be the reply, or it would already been in there. I'll stick to forging my own stuff I guess!
~Dorn
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

How aboooout a couple more drinks for Murky's? Rum or wine (both red) while nice, could be expanded upon!
~Dorn
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

Yes to the above request! And maybe that would lead to another food shop?

Like a semi-clean coffee house or cafe? Winston cannot always travel for a decent meal, neither can the rest of us.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Oh man. Totally imaging a rotting corpse dressed up in an upper class waiter's outfit with bits of flesh occasionally dropping off.

"Waiter, there is one of your eyes in my soup!"
~Dorn
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Not saying nay to any suggestions (I can't anyway, I'm not the Corvus guru), but just keep in mind that the Corvus Outpost isn't exactly a full-sized town, but rather a population crammed into the ruins of an old fort. Free space is at a premium, so I imagine there's a "needs before wants" policy in place and that may contribute to why, for instance, there aren't any posh diners there and possibly won't ever be.

That said, I agree the place definitely needs a few more options in the way of food and drinks. Murky's could use an increased stock. I vote for Beaver Burgers!
The lore compels me!
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

If you count the number of open establishments, there is maybe two in each room that we player's can access. One of the ones we cannot currently access as PCs could be a non-shantyrific eatery. Or a nice coffee and tea house. Coffee and tea is a need.
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

Beaver steak has been added to the menu at Murky's Pub. Apparently Murky had an over abundant supply of this from the local hunters and he was able to come up with a decent recipe for them.

Also, Winston's private abode has been renovated so he may invite a select few to share fine wine or tea with him... on occasion.
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

Yo, Noc-sir.

1) Would you be interested in adding other selections of clothing/customization to the shop?

2) Would you be interested in making a non-too-fancy cart of wintry clothing visit for a week or three, if said designs were provided to lighten the load?
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

...you would suggest this *after* I had Skah go get elbow deep inside some bears.
~Dorn
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Skah likes it.
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

When I think of fashion or a wide selection of clothing... Corvus doesn't really come to mind. Your best bet would be to head over to Haiban if you want a nice selection of clothing. Or mail order a specific request to Kyskie, assuming you are not so evil that even she would deny your request.

If you insist on having something to stave off the cold then someone might be willing to provide some roughly sewn beaver skin coats and gloves.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Don't forget the rats in the mines!

Rias arrives, sporting a debonair coat of mismatched rat and beaver hide.
The lore compels me!
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

In response to a few private messages I have received I think it best to clear up a few misconceptions about Corvus as a whole. I might even consider giving Corvites their own private board in the future but this needs to be discussed by the GM staff.

Corvus, and most of the Lost Lands, have always been a wild place where there are Mining towns, bandits, lawlessness, nethrim, infested etc etc etc. There are a few exceptions, such as the new Haiban but all in all, it's a nasty place.

This being said, Corvus is a just an old military outpost that has been taken up by a few leaders who have noticed its worth and taken it upon themselves to start a community there. The outpost actually has a deeper past than that but those things are more secret. (So please don't ask) First taken over by Sceptus, then Lythwer, then Winston. Each leader has had slightly different goals and has managed resources differently. If you want a real life example, try to imagine an old medieval fort that has been taken up by a group of religious or ideological extremists.

Lythwer seemed more interested in the beatification of the outpost, things such as blooming flowers, fine clothing, better food tended to be her style and thus, for a time, the outpost had more of these things. Winston himself is a very sophisticated genteel person but, much like Sceptus, he does not allocate the scant resources on frivolous beatification projects. His focus tends to be on knowledge, power and the safe haven and protection of his citizens.

Corvus was always meant to be a rough place. Heck, it's a safe haven for flesh golems, animates, nethrim of all sorts, infested, canim, assassins and sorcerers who wish to practice forbidden arts. However, this doesn't mean that individual citizens are forbidden for having their own little nice place, if they have the means to do so.

In regards to requests, please keep in mind that Corvus is meant to be a harsh place and asking for merchants to start selling a "red silk gown with golden embroidery" would be out of character for the location. If you have the funds, then by all means you may import whatever you like. Now if the request is something more utilitarian such as, "corvus needs a well to provide water" or "corvus needs a trainer to train sorcery" or "corvus needs rations so people don't starve" then that is something more likely I would acquiesce. Corvus and the other towns were never meant to be a one stop shop for everything, players are encouraged to shop around at different locations.

With all that said, I welcome any suggestions Corvites might want to see added but please keep in mind the IC restrictions of the area.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Thanks for the explanation Noctere. I really appreciate it.

With that in mind, would it be out of place to request a few more worn slots be covered in the repository?

Currently missing:

Some kind of hat or hood
Coat or jacket instead of a cloak
Robes
Vests
Scarves
Socks
Some kind of shoes other than boots
Gloves
One or two different pant and shirt type options

It would also be nice to have different fabrics available. Simple wool since fleece is offered, or possibly twill or tweed. Nothing fancy, just more variety. Since trapping and hunting seem encouraged, possibly fur in addition to leather? And how about maybe a few more color options instead of the four we're currently offered? If you want to keep the color scheme, can we at least have some variations on the colors?

Yes I'm aware there are other cities, but I'm pretty sure even a military outpost would be able to completely clothe its members from head to toe while not offering gowns and tuxes ;)

Thanks again for everything you've done so far!
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

Currently missing:

Some kind of hat or hood
Coat or jacket instead of a cloak
Robes
Vests
Scarves
Socks
Some kind of shoes other than boots
Gloves
One or two different pant and shirt type options
Yeah, this is all I was asking for. Some scarves and mittens. And interesting additions to already present options. Though I'm pleased that my requests are automatically associated with fancy. ^.-

But thank you for taking the time to explain more about the current vision and history a bit more. It helps to remove some of the concerns I had as well as help foster some ideas for community events in the future too.

I would like to see more of the citizens about town though.
a safe haven for flesh golems, animates, nethrim of all sorts, infested, canim, assassins and sorcerers who wish to practice forbidden arts.
I cannot imagine most of those things take up a lot of resources? So it would be nice to see more of those people who do. Unless it's just Winston hogging all the money. The ne'er-do-well!
Corvus and the other towns were never meant to be a one stop shop for everything
I agree with this, but part of providing a safe place for citizens is making sure they have access to decent wares and food? Not just rat meat and infested beaver skin mittens.

Rugged I'm down with just not a slum.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I've always assumed money was a real problem in running and maintaining the Corvus Outpost, due in no small part to their bad rep with just about every other society in the Lost Lands (and beyond). I highly doubt there's much money for Winston to be hogging. I always felt that part of the reason the Outpost had that run-down squalor feel is at least partially a result of this.

Nethrim Trivia!: Animated non-living nethrim take a goodly amount of effort to maintain, seeing as they can't generate their own energy and need to be "charged" by sorcery whenever they run low. They also don't heal bodily damage so even little seemingly-insignificant things can pile up very quickly and they'd have to be replaced fairly frequently if they see any significant amount of use. They're very useful as troops, guards, enforcers, and laborers because they're highly expendable and don't feel pain, fear, or have any morale to be maintained, but they're far from effortless to maintain (or inexpensive, in the numbers and capacity in which they serve in the Outpost). I imagine those who maintain these constructs in the Corvus Outpost would expect to be compensated for their time and effort.
The lore compels me!
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

Time to "find" more resources.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Noctere wrote:Corvus was always meant to be a rough place. Heck, it's a safe haven for flesh golems, animates, nethrim of all sorts, infested, canim, assassins and sorcerers who wish to practice forbidden arts.
We're not all sneaky/spooky types. Some of us are just vicious people.
~Dorn
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I gotta stop posting here... but um... can we get a few custom options for wagons?
Kent

Post by Kent »

Noctere wrote:Corvus was always meant to be a rough place. Heck, it's a safe haven for flesh golems, animates, nethrim of all sorts, infested, canim, assassins and sorcerers who wish to practice forbidden arts.

This sounds like a fine RP environment...except it's not in practice for the last category.

Currently, no sorcerous arts are forbidden and each and every community welcomes them with open arms; each and every guild will welcome them onto their group.

How much more like older fantasy literature, and less like D & D, it would be if some towns and some Guilds called out the dark arts for what they are, Dark. For example, I would find the Church a more believable entity if it was less concerned about it's members being innvolved with meat and money, and more concerned about them staying away from the practitioners of Black Magic (and of Theft, come to think of it).
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

in all fairness Kent, your definition of black magic is rather broad. that being said, you'll not find many church members knowingly associating with people who go around animating corpses and the like, at least not when they don't have to.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Kent wrote:

This sounds like a fine RP environment...except it's not in practice for the last category.

Currently, no sorcerous arts are forbidden and each and every community welcomes them with open arms; each and every guild will welcome them onto their group.

How much more like older fantasy literature, and less like D & D, it would be if some towns and some Guilds called out the dark arts for what they are, Dark. For example, I would find the Church a more believable entity if it was less concerned about it's members being innvolved with meat and money, and more concerned about them staying away from the practitioners of Black Magic (and of Theft, come to think of it).
Sorcery is generally seen as a bit off and strange, as far as I'm aware. Not evil. I could be remembering incorrectly, but from what I recall the Church looks down on Sorcery because it tends to LEAD to badness, not because it's inherently bad. "Forbidden magic", I imagine, refers to things specific to the Corvus Outpost, like Demons for instance, or that very rare metal (not sure if it's even in the game anymore?).

And, I imagine there's other experiments going on in the Outpost. Your PC (and likely you) aren't privy to EVERYTHING that goes on in every Faction on the game. It's a bit misleading when your writing tone implies otherwise. I've run into PCs that have had issues with sorcery, more than once.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”

Return to “Corvus Outpost”