Skewers

baerden

Skewers

Post by baerden »

Hi I noticed I could carve skewers. I cant seem to figure out how to use them. Just wondering if I was missing a command or if they're not totally done being implemented.

Thanks
Rithiel

Re: Skewers

Post by Rithiel »

Not done yet. I started over the weekend, but don't have any time this week to finish it up. Expect it pretty soon, though.
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

These are now live.

To make a skewer, get a small branch, carve it once to remove the bark, and carve skewer. This only takes one step and will give no woodworking skills (there's no chance to fail, either)

Once you have a skewer, you can use the new verb skewer to skewer whole fish or chunks of meat (not strips of a filet). You can have multiple pieces of meat on one skewer. Cook skewer over an appropriate cooking fire. Once that is done, you can remove meat from skewer one at a time. Skewers have limited uses, but they aren't hard to make. Once it has been burnt beyond use, you can add skewer to campfire, if you want.

Once the meat is cooked, you can then cut it into strips or a filet.

Enjoy, all you wilderness people (and as always, bug anything you may come across).
Orris

Post by Orris »

I'm so glad to ditch my skillet and just use a skewer. Thanks! One request, could we grind an herb and apply it to the meat or fish before putting it on the skewer, or will that be restricted to just skillet cooking only?
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

For now it's a deliberate choice to only allow herbs and spices for the more complicated cooking processes, otherwise nobody would use skillets.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Orris

Post by Orris »

That's fair, thanks for the response!
Gruff

Post by Gruff »

I'm assuming you can just hold the fish on a skewer over a fire...can elemancers cast at the skewer channelin fire to match the same result?
TwistedAkai

Post by TwistedAkai »

Gruff wrote:I'm assuming you can just hold the fish on a skewer over a fire...can elemancers cast at the skewer channelin fire to match the same result?
I like this idea, but it should check pyromancy AND cooking (assuming cooking a skewer checks cooking)
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).
xavier

Post by xavier »

why not just forage a few sticks and light the campfire with pyromancy instead of adding to their awfully long todo list?
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Just my two cents on the topic. It seems like cooking directly with pyromancy would be incredibly energy inefficient. I don't know how long it takes to skewer cook, but it takes 10 seconds to cook with a skillet. So that would mean a Pyromancer would have to channel pyromancy for 10 seconds straight without dropping the channel.

Return to “Cooking”