Iffy durability issues

Kierae

Iffy durability issues

Post by Kierae »

Lately while carving branches, I noticed freshly carved dussacks have a drop in durability while freshly carved rudi did not. So I did a few carvings of things I rarely carve just to see if it was strange or intended. Posted here are some very recent woodcarving results, was hoping some more experienced woodcarvers could chip in their findings as well.

You carefully examine a whittled pine spear...
The spear is bumpy and has several rough patches with nicks, but it should be fairly serviceable, if
not great.
It is a huge item, mainly made of pine.
It could be hurled in combat, its effectiveness dependent on your Hurl Weapon skill.
It could be wielded in melee combat with either one or two hands, its effectiveness dependent on
your Polearms skill.
It feels a bit awkward to wield, and you figure you could get up to 2 strikes per attack with it.
It would allow you to keep a slight distance from opponents and dodge melee attacks more easily.
It would give you a slight advantage at parrying incoming blows.
It appears to be of average quality.

You carefully examine a well-crafted staff...
The staff is fairly straight and smooth, though it tapers or expands in some areas.
It could be wielded in melee combat with two hands, its effectiveness dependent on your Staffs skill.
It feels extremely well-balanced, and you figure you could get up to 4 strikes per attack with it.
It would give you an extreme advantage at parrying incoming blows.
It appears to be of above-average quality.

You carefully examine a well-crafted staff...
The staff is fairly straight and smooth, though it tapers or expands in some areas.
It is a huge item, mainly made of fir.
It could be wielded in melee combat with two hands, its effectiveness dependent on your Staffs skill.
It feels extremely well-balanced, and you figure you could get up to 4 strikes per attack with it.

You carefully examine a quarterstaff...
The quarterstaff is bumpy and displays several rough patches with nicks and gouges, but should still
be fairly serviceable.
It is a huge item, mainly made of juniper.

You carefully examine a quarterstaff...
The quarterstaff is bumpy and displays several rough patches with nicks and gouges, but should still
be fairly serviceable.
It is a huge item, mainly made of fir.

You carefully examine a crude pine flatbow-stave...
The flatbow-stave has been badly carved - many areas are too thin or carved too deeply, and it is
covered in gouges and nicks.
It could be wielded with two hands as an improvised melee weapon.
It feels clumsy, and you figure you could get up to 1 strike per attack with it.
It appears to be of poor quality.

You carefully examine a crude juniper flatbow-stave...
The flatbow-stave has been badly carved - many areas are too thin or carved too deeply, and it is
covered in gouges and nicks.
It is a huge item, mainly made of juniper.
It feels clumsy, and you figure you could get up to 1 strike per attack with it.

Here I would assume the above woodworks would gain their durability similar to how a flatbow only gains durability when finished with an attached bowstring like so.

You carefully examine a crude oak flatbow...
The flatbow-has been badly carved - many areas are too thin or carved too deeply, and it is covered
in gouges and nicks.
It is a huge item, mainly made of oak.
It can be worn in the shoulders inventory slot.
It can be used to fire arrows, its effectiveness dependent on your Archery skill.
It seems to have a heavy draw.
It appears to be in good repair.

What is different from before was when I carved the other weapons.

You carefully examine a pine dussack...
The dussack is bumpy and has several rough patches with nicks, but it should be fairly serviceable,
if not great.
It is a medium-sized item, mainly made of pine.
It could be hurled in combat, its effectiveness dependent on your Hurl Weapon skill.
It could be wielded in melee combat with one hand, its effectiveness dependent on your Daggers skill.
It feels well-balanced, and you figure you could get up to 3 strikes per attack with it.
It would be difficult to parry with.
It appears to be heavily damaged.

You carefully examine an exquisite pine dussack...
The dussack is straight and smooth, allowing for good balance.
It could be wielded in melee combat with one hand, its effectiveness dependent on your Daggers skill.
It feels well-balanced, and you figure you could get up to 3 strikes per attack with it.
It appears to be heavily damaged.
It appears to be of superior quality.

You carefully examine a pine rudis...
The rudis is bumpy and has several rough patches with nicks, but it should be fairly serviceable, if
not great.
It is a large item, mainly made of pine.
It could be wielded in melee combat with one hand, its effectiveness dependent on your Swords skill.

You carefully examine a well-crafted pine rudis...
The rudis is fairly straight and smooth, though it tapers in the middle of the blade, throwing off
the balance slightly.
It is a large item, mainly made of pine.
It could be wielded in melee combat with one hand, its effectiveness dependent on your Swords skill.

You carefully examine a walking-stick...
The walking-stick is bumpy and displays several rough patches with nicks and gouges, but should
still be fairly serviceable.
It could be wielded in melee combat with one hand, its effectiveness dependent on your Hafted
Weapons skill.
It feels a bit awkward to wield, and you figure you could get up to 1 strike per attack with it.
It appears to be scuffed.

You carefully examine a well-crafted walking-stick...
The walking-stick is fairly straight and smooth, though it tapers or expands in some areas.
It could be wielded in melee combat with one hand, its effectiveness dependent on your Hafted
Weapons skill.
It feels a bit awkward to wield, and you figure you could get up to 1 strike per attack with it.
It appears to be scuffed.

Now.. compared to a dussack I carved 2-3 weeks ago, at significantly less skill, with a knife that was at subpar durability:

You carefully examine an oak dussack...
The dussack is bumpy and has several rough patches with nicks, but it should be fairly serviceable,
if not great.
It is a small item, mainly made of oak.

TL;DR Do some other woodcarvers who frequently carve the following weapons notice any changes as well?
Kierae

Re: Iffy durability issues

Post by Kierae »

On a sidenote.. but equally odd is the dussack sizes. The 1st and 2nd example above are fresh from carving, the 3rd example after I set it in my 'hurl set' & 'gather hurled' it into my cloak.

Pre-shrinkage, a dussack under the dagger category is carved from a small branch, of medium size & can't fit in a dagger sheath.

Post-shrinkage, it turns into a small item which can then be fitted in a dagger sheath without problems.
Vinz

Post by Vinz »

This is more than likely a failure on it checking what the dussack is made out of ans failing to se both max and current to be the same value, i can take a look when i get home from class.
-*- GM Vinz -*-
Haite says, " ...Diamonds are also hard, really really freaking hard."
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

I'd like to toss out that Taric bought a handaxe from the weapons shop in Haiban the other day, and he got it already scuffed. He did a bug report, but it might be somehow related, so figured I'd mention it here.
Vinz

Post by Vinz »

haiban has always had issues with that, i believe its because the materials set changes both of those previously mentioned variables. I'll take a look at order as well.
-*- GM Vinz -*-
Haite says, " ...Diamonds are also hard, really really freaking hard."

Return to “Woodworking”