Sheets of bark and carving messages

Rithiel

Sheets of bark and carving messages

Post by Rithiel »

Woodworkers can now carve logs and split logs to get a smooth sheet of bark (dependent on a skill roll). This sheet can be used to write on (with a quill).

Woodworkers can also carve messages on sheets of bark as long as they have some minimal skill. This functions just like write, although the command is carve write MESSAGE
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Wow, that was fast! Thank you!
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

A couple minor requests.

Can the type of bark be included? "A smooth sheet of birch bark" instead of just "a smooth sheet of bark" for example.

Can the word "bark" be the main word, so you GET BARK instead of GET SHEET, or have it so it's "a smooth birch bark sheet" instead of "a smooth sheet of birch bark"?

For the log, can it please change the description, like "a debarked split birch log"?
Last edited by Skjotur on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

Fine, just fine!
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Thanks Rithiel! The needy survivalists will nominate you for GM of the Year.
-Hamlin Garland
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

I'm being needy again! Can a sheet of bark end up as something like "an inscribed sheet of birch bark" once it's been written on, replacing "smooth" with "inscribed"?

Pretty please.

Also can we please keep the bark carved off of medium and large branches to use for writing, so we don't have to chop down a whole tree just to get some writing material?
Last edited by Skjotur on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Hamlin Garland
Kent

Post by Kent »

Could we carve our initials into a tree trunk or log? That would be a nice addition, too.

Taking an idea from the Maelstrom book (q.v.), perhaps also an Engraving skill could be added to the list, which would enable the craftsman to etch a name or word onto weapons, armour, jewellery, etc. With higher Engraving skill, a design such as a Tree or a Sun could be etched (see the iron breastplate available at the Mistral Lake armoury).
Last edited by Kent on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822

Return to “Woodworking”