Mastercraft Woodworking

KianTheArcher

Mastercraft Woodworking

Post by KianTheArcher »

I've been doing woodworking a lot recently. My skill is up to 719, and was around 630ish when I started working on hafts.

In making what has to have been at least 200-300 hafts, I have not received a single masterwork one (that I've noticed at least). I'm fairly certain I would have noticed a message about it, as I glance over every time my carving cycle starts back up. I wanted to know if this is intended, or if there's something potentially wrong with woodworking.

an exquisite pine greataxe haft (x29), a well-crafted pine greataxe haft (x7), a misshapen pine greataxe haft, an average pine greataxe haft, an exquisite pine sledgehammer haft (x16), a well-crafted pine sledgehammer haft (x7), an exquisite maple sledgehammer haft (x36), a well-crafted maple sledgehammer haft (x11), an exquisite ash sledgehammer haft (x4), a misshapen maple sledgehammer haft, an average pine sledgehammer haft (x4) and a misshapen pine sledgehammer haft.

That's the results of my last batch of carved hafts.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Blair

Post by Blair »

Since a crafted haft isn't the finished product but rather one of two pieces that make the final product, I think think it as intended that way. This is similar to leather crafting where the highest quality pelt is exquisite and you only get masterwork quality in the final product.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

But an exquisite haft with a masterpiece head only creates an exquisite object.
I have nothing productive to say, therefore, I must be heard!
Blair

Post by Blair »

Exquisite leathers can me made into masterworks if leather armors. I assume that applies to making weaponry too.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

From what Ardor was telling me, when you combine an exquisite craft with a masterwork head, it results in an exquisite weapon since Exquisite is a "stronger" adjective than "masterwork"
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

It's possible that the carving is screwy, since that was made before some of the quality changes. I can't speak about the forging stuff, but I'll look into the carving part.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Landion

Post by Landion »

Exquisite is not better than masterwork.

With forging, if you combine a masterwork head and an exquisite haft, it averages their qualities and you fall short of a masterful weapon.

Getting a masterful part is meant to be a rare.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Sorry, I worded that poorly. What I meant was that, in the equation "exquisite + masterwork < masterwork". As in, in that equation Exquisite is weighted more heavily.

As for the rarity, I understand that. But I went through easily two hundred staves (of varying quality woods), at over 600 Woodworking, and did not receive even one Masterwork. During the same (approximate) period, Ardor managed to forge a masterwork haft and masterwork head.

I understand that woodworking costs a lot less money to invest, and is overall easier. However, I worked through at least 200 staves without a single Masterwork one, and I have a pretty darn high Woodworking.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

There was a bug preventing players from carving masterwork stuff. This should be fixed now.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel

Return to “Woodworking”