Sconces for player mines

Landion

Sconces for player mines

Post by Landion »

These are now available for testing in the Coalition Storehouse shop.

You can hang these in your mine, and then light them like you would a lantern. When they run out of oil, they can be filled again with emberbright oil.

Currently, these cannot be moved once placed in your mine..
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Makkah

Post by Makkah »

I rock. I mean... uh... Landion, you're the best :)
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

What happens when the room with the sconce collapses?
Ardor

Post by Ardor »

My guess: It's gone.
[FROM Rithiel (OOC)]: Be careful what you wish for.
Landion

Post by Landion »

What happens if a lantern gets crushed by a mountain of rock? Yeah, it's gone.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

I've never lost a lantern to a cave in. Maybe it's a bug though.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I think they're talking about when the room itself collapses and is lost, not just a minor cave-in.

Heh heh. Minor cave-in. Miner cave-in.
The lore compels me!
Landion

Post by Landion »

Yeah, sorry. To clarify, a little rumble and some rubble won't hurt the sconce.

However, if you don't maintain the room and the whole thing collapses? Yes, that will delete the whole room and the sconce with it.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Ohhh, derp. I misread that, my bad.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Landion

Post by Landion »

Btw, I dropped the price on these significantly, so, mine sconce away!
Ardor

Post by Ardor »

Sudden price drop? Suspicious! I bet they attract sconce eating mole-creatures now.
[FROM Rithiel (OOC)]: Be careful what you wish for.
Landion

Post by Landion »

You guys just keep giving me ideas...
Gad

Post by Gad »

Just wondering if it could be possible to have support beams for sale for mine use. Perhaps sold by the Coalition.
Last edited by Gad on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop holding my character hostage.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Might as well just get rid of the carpentry skill, if support beams were added for sale. It'd be redundant.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Orris

Post by Orris »

I'll take up carpentry if we ever get ship-building!
While planning a trip to the haunted galleon with a bunch of people on ESP...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: what are the nether called on that pirate ship again?
[TO Vinz (OOC)]: I'm scared to tell you...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: DO-IT >:)
Collins

Re: Sconces for player mines

Post by Collins »

Anyone can make supports if they have the supplies. Though they come out pretty ugly, and don't last as long compared to one made by a carpenter who knows what they're doing.

I do think support lifespan could be adjusted up a bit, given how much time goes into making one and gathering the supplies.

If they become purchasable in a shop somewhere, I'd think they would be very very expensive, and not be nearly as good as player-made ones.
Gad

Post by Gad »

KianTheArcher wrote:Might as well just get rid of the carpentry skill, if support beams were added for sale. It'd be redundant.
Many go pay at infirmaries or use first aid to heal. Nothing different to buy beams if there are no carpenters to make them.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Gad wrote:
KianTheArcher wrote:Might as well just get rid of the carpentry skill, if support beams were added for sale. It'd be redundant.
Many go pay at infirmaries or use first aid to heal. Nothing different to buy beams if there are no carpenters to make them.
The difference is that Carpentry is a profession skill that's 1.)incredibly boring to level, 2.)tedious to level, and 3.)has little to no gain in the first 100 points or so. It also only has one actual use, that being Support Beams. Until carpenters are allowed to make furniture fancy and paint the pieces, it's unlikely a player will seek out another PC carpenter to build them things.

There's also the fact that healing is essential. Support beams are not. A player can't play the game without healing at some point. A player can mine without support beams, it just takes more work to keep it maintained. If you sustain too many wounds, the game becomes unplayable. Especially in the future when death mechanics are changed to be more harsh.

Infirmaries have a steep cost, that of riln and extended downtime due to the fact that the bandages aren't the best quality. First aid has the penalty of requiring you to gather herbs and make the poultices yourself. And while they're fast, they don't give you the benefit of energy restoration like Thaumaturgy does.

Unless the support beams were of significantly lower quality than a PCs and cost a fairly substantial amount, then I don't think it'd be fair. It would lessen the already low demand for carpentry.
Kontar

Post by Kontar »

I've been trying for a long time to get nails so I can practice carpentry. I've posted on town boards and used ESP when I know blacksmiths are on. I know it's not as glamorous as making weapons and armor, but I'd really really like some nails! Then someone could build Gad his beams.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Little known secret.. Jaster is a master blacksmith (at the 'crappy' level of craftsmanship)
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

I've attempted to mail nails, I figured it wouldn't be easy but at least I could make a handful at a time. No, when you start out you make one crappy malformed nail at a time. I tried ten times, never got a decent nail, figured there would people better qualified.

Sorry! I did try tho.
Gad

Post by Gad »

It is a profession which would make sense RPwise that many NPC's would have skill in considering Shadgard as a mining town and Mistral Lake as a building community. Utility equipment as simple as nails would be available in a mining town. If something as serious as being healed in an infirmary is available why can't I walk into the general store and buy a box of nails or go to a Coalition lumberyard and purchase planks of wood to make beams or buy support beams. Prices and quality of such items I leave to the GM's to figure out since that doesn't concern me. Availablity is what I was asking for.
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

Right now, we don't have many things that are commodities or professional items that are available from places other than the market. These sorts of things are why we have a market. So mine supports won't be sold in a store, at least for the time being. It may be that the structure of the CLOK economy changes in the future, but we won't get into that.

That said, nails suck a lot less now. I'm taking a look at carpentry to make it suck less, but it will likely take a while.

Return to “Mining”