Mining and challenge/skillgain

Rias
DEV

Mining and challenge/skillgain

Post by Rias »

Per today's changelog: Making progress while mining now involves a slight skill challenge, providing more consistent skillgain opportunities at low skill levels.

Finding ways to introduce additional mining skill challenges is a bit of a toughie. Some ideas are:

- Mines with tougher types of stone have a higher challenge to mine/chisel
- Some ores and gems can require a higher skill roll to successfully extract

And that's about it at the moment. Mining is a skill where there doesn't seem to be any particularly strong need to have a large skill range, so it's not a big deal anyway, but if anyone has any ideas feel free to post them here! It was one of those skills where in the old system it just sort of went up indefinitely by the simple act of mining regardless of situation, which was pretty goofy, so legacy characters might have their mining skills reduced at some point so the system doesn't feel broken for them.
The lore compels me!
artus

Re: Mining and challenge/skillgain

Post by artus »

I like the change!

Could be that, like metalworking, each metal has cap that stops giving you gain after you outgrow it on successful roll, and the same can go with gems and alike on chiseling instead of direct mining, like it does let you do so when you're undercap or overcap but it doesn't let you gain anything when you're overcap and has anything from 100% flat chance to shatter and down down down to like 1%, I'd like it to not be exactly 0 because even pro gemologist can realistically screw up. .
[CHAT - Event Staff Uyoku likes NOM NOM NOM food]: You are holding a pepper-grilled Uyoku in your right hand.
This GM has been peppered and grillef over an open flame to a juicy perfection.
RememberNehima

Post by RememberNehima »

I like the idea of some stones and gems being more challenging. I was exploring the wilderness for other metals, and I started to think about how fun it would be if there were gem mining spots scattered and hidden around. There are already quite a few small caves tucked away out there, some even already with a flavorful mention of the stones or gems in their description. These would make excellent spots for small mines to reward exploration and act as a source for different gems and stone types for lapidary and stoneworking. Others with rare materials could be placed in dangerous areas to reward group play.

As for justification as to why they may be more challenging to mine, the hardness and softness of the material is a good consideration. Materials such as shale, calcite, and gypsum might crumble into useless flakes, fragments, and powders if the miner doesn't extract them with the proper care, leaving you with nothing but a pile of dust for your effort. Harder materials such as basalt, diamond, and iron-banded stone might be more difficult to mine due to being extremely tedious and laborious to extract, perhaps even requiring tools of more durable metals than standard copper. Other sites could be more difficult simply due to their unique nature, such as knocking free chunks of coral and nacreous shell from an underwater room or pieces of petrified wood and amber from a fossilized forest.
artus

Post by artus »

Or the more likelyhood of diamond being found in hot areas like the pass to that dreaded salt flats and desert. Diamond is made of solidified carbon after all.

Some old idea to pull back worth a consideration: rare chance of getting amber from logs,, carved or sawed by hands only. That could have something new to do with mining that doesn't involve you buried under rock piles all the time and also something for woodcutters to get miners for. Amber is pretty much fossilized insects so they're supposed to be in something like trees or natural non-mine rocks. I think we had a way of obtaining amber somewhere way back but never got any use out of it.

As it stands, currently iron and copper share the same gain rate, and so do gems. the only reason to get out of town to mine at all is for the metal, not for gain. I would hazard a guess that it's not final yet and there's a lot more to come, however.
[CHAT - Event Staff Uyoku likes NOM NOM NOM food]: You are holding a pepper-grilled Uyoku in your right hand.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

artus wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:03 am Amber is pretty much fossilized insects so they're supposed to be in something like trees or natural non-mine rocks.
Despite being organic in nature, fossilized amber does still form as part of the geologic processes - so it's still found in rocks, and mined, and not found in trees.
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”
artus

Post by artus »

Oh yar right. I was imagining something like ancient hardwood but nvm me.

Also, I don't know if anyone thinks the same but I'd love it if something like steel isn't in rare metal category like on cogg. It wasn't rare on old clok and we only had iron and copper and tin available publically on Cogg anyway when we have loads of metal types on here, many of which are already rare, some even festival only.

Return to “Mining”