Mining Tweaks

Landion

Mining Tweaks

Post by Landion »

Updated a few things today after some additional testing and reviewing feedback from you miners out there:

----------------------------------------------------

Looking over the updates I realized that miners were having to pass a challenge rating check twice. Both when finding a vein AND when mining that vein for ore. This meant that even once the vein was discovered miners had a chance to not get material from that vein if they rolled low enough. This increased the chance to lose a vein due to a collapse quite a bit.

This second challenge roll was removed.

What this change means:

- It takes a combination of luck and skill to find veins of metal or gemstones.
- At lower skill levels, it may still be impossible to find a vein of some higher teir vein types until your mining skill increases.
- As skill increases, it becomes easier to find rarer types, but it still requires some decent luck and patience.

- Once a vein is found, it will give the miner ore regardless of your skill level.
- In the event of a collapse, the vein can still be lost.

----------------------------------------------------
In summary, for those who care about the math:

1 - Of all the materials available to be mined in an area, one type is selected at random.
2 - The rarity of a vein is based on a simple 1-100 roll. The rarer the vein, the higher you have to roll.
3 - Your challenge rating is based on a 1 - (100+ your skill level) roll. If you roll higher than the challenge setting, you pass this check.

These rolls occur on each swing of the pickaxe.

If you roll higher than the requirements in both rarity and challenge, you find a vein!

As always, feedback and ideas are welcome.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Landion

Post by Landion »

So, a few tweaks you guys have noticed recently:

- You now have a chance to hit a gas pocket. These are highly dangerous, and combustible. Beware!
- The chance for a gas pocket is roughly 1/4 that of a collapse.

- Collapses and Gas pockets now take into account your mining skill.
- Higher skill lowers the chance for a collapse or gas pocket, but will never negate the chance completely.

- Quartz has been given a lower rarity and worth than other gemtypes. This is by design so that those interested in lapidary have gems that are slightly more accessible to practice on.
Landion

Post by Landion »

I realizes I didn't post a few updates yet, though I had mentioned them in game.

1 - The quality rating of your pickaxe now effects your skill rolls while mining.

So a masterfully crafted pickaxe will provide an additional 15% bonus to your skill rolls while a crude or bad pick will provide a significant negative % penalty.

2- Actively channeling Geomancy now has benefits while mining, though it comes with additional energy costs.
River

Post by River »

Is it just me or did the return amount on the wagon change from 750 to 250?
---Also, I can kill you with my brain.
Landion

Post by Landion »

Oh, yes that changed too.

Wagons weren't exactly 'costly' when you could return them for 80% of what you paid. So, now you only get 25% back for returning the wagon in good condition.
Landion

Post by Landion »

Obsidian can now be found in certain places of the world. For now, it can only be sold, but in the future we'll put it to use with crafting type skills.

Return to “Mining”