Jewelrycrafting

Fayne

Jewelrycrafting

Post by Fayne »

Okay, so here is my dilema: I would like to craft jewelry with Fayne. It doesn't male sense for her to start at the moment, but ahe is getting interested, and will eventually be to the point wjere she wants to make metal jewlery. However, forging doesn't make sense for her RP, and jewelrycrafting designs rely on your forging: general skill. I have a problem with this, because all pieces of jewelry in CLOK are cast in a mold, then taken to a jewelry worktable where they have all of their fine details worked into them. That kind of work really isn't going to be improved upon by swinging a big hammer at a big chunk of red-hot metal, no matter what you're making. Lapidary, on the other hand, involves making small, precise cuts on a gem so that the light reflects just perfectly through it, a skill which I believe would carry over well to making small details in a ring or bracelet. I'd just like to be able to work on jewelry without having to grind up forging: general, because even if I do that, I'd have to do it OOCly, as ICly Fayne will never forge and will be terrible at it. So I don't know, suggestions are welcome, as well as feedback.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Sneaky

Re: Jewelrycrafting

Post by Sneaky »

If you don't want to deal with that part, you can just pay someone else to do it for you. Just set up a supply and someone will fill the demand I'm sure.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

You still do have a ring that you would have to work. Lapidary, although great for working the gems and stones, says nothing about the ring.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Having a separate forging skill for delicate work like jewelry, and the links needed for chainmaille, might be a good alternative to using the general forging skill with the lapidary skill.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Lysse wrote:Having a separate forging skill for delicate work like jewelry, and the links needed for chainmaille, might be a good alternative to using the general forging skill with the lapidary skill.
I dig this!!
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

jilliana wrote:
Lysse wrote:Having a separate forging skill for delicate work like jewelry, and the links needed for chainmaille, might be a good alternative to using the general forging skill with the lapidary skill.
I dig this!!
Actually, I love this idea. It'd actually open up the possibility of making chain armor as well.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.

Return to “Lapidary”