Etchings

Drayla

Etchings

Post by Drayla »

I noticed there doesn't seem to be a board related to jewelrycrafting, so I figured this is the next best place to post. While going around and helping out the spirits during that fun little quest near Halloween, I noticed that the ring we had to find and take to one of them had an engraving inside. I can't remember what language it was in, or what it even read, but Faylen could read it. I was just wondering if this might be a possible addition to jewelrycrafting in the near future? It would really cool to be able to engrave a short message on rings and such, and even cooler to be able to do it in specific languages. I have ideas on how talented jewelers could engrave messages on jewelry without actually knowing the language they were engraving in.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Re: Etchings

Post by Rias »

Agreed, spiffy idea.

"Okay, I've engraved your ring with the words of an ancient Faewyr blessing of strength and honor."

"Neat, thanks!"

(Later on, finds a Faewyr to show the ring off to.)

"Uh, why does your ring say 'the wearer of this ring is a skinflint' in Faewyr?"

"What?! That swindler!"
The lore compels me!
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

Hahaha. Now that would be positively devious, especially if neither the engraver or the owner of the ring could read Faewyr. My idea was that the engraver could engrave a message onto a ring in a language he or she did not know as long as they had the message written down and available to them at the time of engraving. For example, Someone wants to engrave "Strength and Honor" on their ring in Faewyr, but they only know Fasa and Common, and the person who is going to engrave the message only knows Common. One of them could contact someone who can write in Faewyr to write the phrase as cleanly and neatly as possible, hand it over, and then the engraver could etch the message into the ring by using the written message as a template. Needless to say, this would require a decently high blacksmithing skill, as it would very easy to mess up, especially on languages that use runes or glyphs instead of words and letters.
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

It would be cool if we could carve a few words on wood items too. Other than sheets of bark.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

would it be possible to revisit this idea? Also would it be possible to add a few more etching and design types? I don't know if that is difficult to do, but I'd love to suggest a few more etching, design, and even a few more gem cut options if they wouldn't be too difficult to implement. It would be so great to be able to expand our jewelry making options, just before people start buying gifts for people in game.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.

Return to “Lapidary”