Fishing beyond fishing rods.

Nootau

Post by Nootau »

I have recently stopped studying: how natural animals hunt underwater, military experiments with use of water as a weapon and anime elemental manipulators.. I idea of how to fish without tools and use Elemancy is growing increasingly difficult to picture with any reasonable method!

Using Compressed Hydro- or Geo- mancy and shooting the dang things seems the easiest for now. Once the body reaches the surface, use aero- geo- hydro- mancy to move under it and pull it back to the user depending on the range.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

A small shallow pond could work. Keeping an empty patch of a larger body of water like a lake would probably be tougher, because the water from the rest of the lake would be constantly trying to fill the area back in and that would make keeping the area empty much more difficult to maintain.

My response was inspired by the "parting the waters isn't a divine ability" comment, which naturally alludes to Noccy's provided image of the Biblical sea-parting. It was a good opportunity to further detail the limitations of elemancy, even if nobody intended to actually suggest that a hydromancer should be able to part an entire sea.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

One hydromancer part a sea? Certainly not. A few dozen working in concert now... That's a different story altogether. Or a hydromancer with access to a large source of energy.
Landion

Post by Landion »

Being a past fisherman myself, I don't see this working or being feasible.

1 - Water is not always clear enough to be able to see the fish.

2 - We've established that manipulating water that the elemancer themselves did not conjur is neigh impossible.

3- Elemancers cannot control the fish themselves with any sort of channel, and cannot control the current of a foreign body of water. (Again, that they did not conjur.)

4- Shooting chunks of conjured rock, or compressed water into the lake 'might' by some fluke manage to smash a fish, but the chances would be very very slim, even if you could see the fish. Even if you managed to hit a single fish, this act would instead scare away any other fish in the area for quite some time.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

So we've established that hydromancers have trouble using their magic to catch fish, but what about druids? Could we, for example, ask the fish to "jump into this bucket, please"?
-> put meat in pan
You can't put anything inside the pants.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

[quote=Reynard]So we've established that hydromancers have trouble using their magic to catch fish, but what about druids? Could we, for example, ask the fish to "jump into this bucket, please"?[/quote]Cheaters..
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

No. You are DRUIDS. Followers of Gaea and whoever is declared god of animals whereas fish could arguably be the creatures of the water goddesses.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I wouldn't say non-conjured matter is nigh impossible to manipulate, but it's considerably tougher, and varies depending the specific sample, as well as the element. From easiest to hardest: Air, Fire, Water, Earth.

According to experts in druidry: The Gaea is considered master over both plants and all non-human animals, including fish. That said, druidry allows more control over plants than it does animals. While druids can manipulate plants to very specific purposes (roots entangling a specific target), animals have their own individual will and sentience separate from the Gaea. As seen with Minor Taming, a druid could cause general feelings of friendship and loyalty in an animal, but they could not issue specific commands. The connection to an established Animal Companion would allow communication on a greater level, making specific requests of an animal, but that would require much more time and process that would be impractical for simply catching a fish. Besides, even a fish Animal Companion would be unwilling to comply with "Jump into this bucket (because I want to cook you and eat you)."

According to most historical/religious documents, the world (and thus the Gaea) was around before any Old Pantheon immortals, such as Naia and Nereia (whom one might call "water goddesses"). Naia and Nereia may have some influence over creatures in their preferred environments, but if so, it would also be through a type of druidry.
The lore compels me!
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

I was gonna say something about Gaea being the spirit of plants and animals, not terrestial stuff, but Rias beat me to it.

Yeah, I figured there'd be some clause preventing self-destructive actions. That's too bad, I would have loved to cast Summon Bigger Fish. =P
-> put meat in pan
You can't put anything inside the pants.

Return to “Fishing”