Fishing location difficulties?

Mooshie

Fishing location difficulties?

Post by Mooshie »

I'm wondering if fishing is like combat, in the sense that there are areas where fishing is more difficult, and perhaps raise the skill at a higher rate?

Currently I'm just enjoying the relaxation of it all, but at the same time, I do want to..at least make sure I am challenging Mooshie to catch the best fish I can.
jilliana

Re: Fishing location difficulties?

Post by jilliana »

It doesn't work like combat. The better you are at fishing, the more frequently you get catch and better fish as well. I prefer this way since there are some very, very pretty fishing areas around.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Generally speaking, the larger a fish is, the harder it is to reel in, so the higher challenge = better gains. Fish sizes are randomized based on a standard size for that fish type. A "massive" guppy isn't actually that big, it's just massive for a guppy - it's still smaller than even a small trout. Some fish have wider ranges of size. Some types can occasionally be tens of times larger than their standard size! Of course, it's rarer and rarer as the size goes higher than the standard.

Different areas have different fish types that may tend to be bigger on average. Cave fish tend to be smaller, for instance. Different climates will yield different types of fish, too. You'll catch different things in a tropical area than you would in a subalpine.
The lore compels me!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Rias wrote:Generally speaking, the larger a fish is, the harder it is to reel in, so the higher challenge = better gains. Fish sizes are randomized based on a standard size for that fish type. A "massive" guppy isn't actually that big, it's just massive for a guppy - it's still smaller than even a small trout. Some fish have wider ranges of size. Some types can occasionally be tens of times larger than their standard size! Of course, it's rarer and rarer as the size goes higher than the standard.

Different areas have different fish types that may tend to be bigger on average. Cave fish tend to be smaller, for instance. Different climates will yield different types of fish, too. You'll catch different things in a tropical area than you would in a subalpine.
I didn't know the second was the case for sure. I thought it was just Orris being...Orris since that's who I heard it from IG.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
sona

Post by sona »

do we need to use a special lure to 'catch' or be caught by giant mistral fish god? J/k. I do think it would be a pretty cool fishing/mistral lake mechanic if there was a random chance that if you were fishing, and the roll was high/low enough that you'd get something like, "you feel your line catch on something really big, do you want to try and pull it in, or cut/break the line?", and if they yes to the challenge, a strength contest happens, maybe a few tests to the pole's strength as well for a snapped line check, and throw fishing checks on it as well for good measure. After a few of these, it could cause the giant beast to rise, and wreak havok in Mistral, or maybe be defeated. If they no'd the challenge, they'd just cut the line/lose the chance for this event. If they attempted spear fishing, the messaging could be a bit different, and the checks would be pure strength challenge/melee challenge, and if they no'd the challenge, they'd lose the spear.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Sona's line is suddenly jerked forward!
Sona struggles to reel in her catch!
A massive tentacle suddenly breaks the surface of the normally-tranquil waters, wrapping around Sona with incredible speed! Struggling against the ghastly appendage, Sona is dragged below the water's surface, intervals between the bubbles rising to the surface decreasing as the waters still.
The citizens in the square go about their business.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Fishing”