Request: Spearfishing with javelins

qinweiqi

Request: Spearfishing with javelins

Post by qinweiqi »

I found a shop that sells javelins! So, I was wondering if it would be possible to spearfish with them. Could that be a thing? I know it can be done with spears and (I think) tridents already.
Kiyaani

Re: Request: Spearfishing with javelins

Post by Kiyaani »

That seems like it might be a bit awkward and unwieldy. Javelins are huge.
Enepttastic

Post by Enepttastic »

Kiyaani wrote:That seems like it might be a bit awkward and unwieldy. Javelins are huge.
Actually, a few quick searches say that most combat javelins were shorter and lighter than spears. However, the balance would be different since javelins tend to be weighted specifically toward the head while a spear's balance point should be centered.

That said, since I don't have really any experience handling the two in RL, I wouldn't know if the different balance would cause issues while spearfishing.
In-game: Atali: Punching things while wearing (mostly)full plate because she likes hearing the "ping."
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Hm. I guess so. Per the in-game description:
The javelin is like a smaller, shorter spear, primarily used for hurling at an enemy, though it can be used in melee in a pinch.

Still hard to wrap my head around using them for spearfishing.
xavier

Post by xavier »

i think the major reasons that javelins are not used in spearfishing is due to design.
1. the balance is off like was said before and yes that would make a difference.
2. javelins are mostly designed to be sleek, non-barbed throwing implements and with water resistance you are way more likely to kill the fish underwater and then pull the javelin out of the fish before it comes out of the water.the fish wouldn't stick on the javelin very well complared to a spear and even a combat spear wouldn't be the best choice.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
qinweiqi

Post by qinweiqi »

Honestly I'd love to just be able to use a pointy stick (or medium/large branch technically), but the losing the fish in the water due to the lack of barbs is a good point.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I like the pointy stick suggestion. You really could be a hermit on the beach then. Make a pointy stick, spearfish with a sharpened stick, stick the fish on a skewer you carved, cook it over an open campfire. Also, find a volleyball, draw a face on it, call it Wilson.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Fayne wrote:I like the pointy stick suggestion. You really could be a hermit on the beach then. Make a pointy stick, spearfish with a sharpened stick, stick the fish on a skewer you carved, cook it over an open campfire. Also, find a volleyball, draw a face on it, call it Wilson.
Well, you can just make a simple spear out of a branch, a piece of flint, and some... Leather strips I think it is? It's been a while since I've made one.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Yeah, that's all that's needed. But you still have to go to a town somewhere in order to tan a pelt into leather for those strips. There currently is no way to have a purely survivalist character, as no matter what, you eventually have to go back to civilization eventually.

EDIT: Actually, if you want to use a bow, you could be purely survivalist, since areows only require sinew. So I guess I have to retract that statement.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Fayne wrote:Yeah, that's all that's needed. But you still have to go to a town somewhere in order to tan a pelt into leather for those strips. There currently is no way to have a purely survivalist character, as no matter what, you eventually have to go back to civilization eventually.

EDIT: Actually, if you want to use a bow, you could be purely survivalist, since areows only require sinew. So I guess I have to retract that statement.
I thought the Snowpine Lodge had the means to tan, outside of a town if you're a member? Admittedly, it's been a while since I've been there.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”

Return to “Fishing”