Bowyering difficult to train

lin

Bowyering difficult to train

Post by lin »

Fletching and woodworking are pretty easy to train - if you chop down a tree, you get enough small and medium branches to finish about two lessons in both skills - just got to sit down and keep crafting arrow shafts.

Now, when it comes to bowyering, my only option is crafting flatbows. I need large branches for those, and I don't get a lot of large branches from one tree. Usually two, maybe three. And so, if I want to get a lesson in bowyering, I find I have to chop down... 6-7 trees on average? Something like that. I'm not exaggerating.

When you add all the accidents that can happen while chopping down 6 trees and stripping them of branches (monsters, serious wounds or even outright death)... It can take quite some time and frustration to get those 5 points in bowyering.

Any chance the life of a bowyer would be made easier? Some sort of a shortbow that can be carved from medium branches would be a godsend, for example.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Lin's onto something here. I'd noticed the same, but I figured bowyering and woodworking BOTH figure into the success you have when carving bows; I assumed you could even craft a masterwork bow with 0 bowyering skills, assuming your woodworking is high enough.

If my assumptions are incorrect, I feel as though it'd be nice to see Lin's request acquiesced.

OFF TOPIC: In anticipation of Death being made more significant -- could the chance of suffering Random Death from headbutting trees, or of other sources against which there is (to the best of my newbie knowledge) no defense be nerfed, or even removed entirely? I'll be honest; I found it hilarious to take a tree to the eye, but if doing such will have serious repercussions in the future, I'm afraid the laughter will stifle rather fast.
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

For things like fletching, bowerying, and blacksmithing, the general skill does play a part in success, as you'd expect.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

It's worth mentioning that it's very unlikely you'll ever get a masterwork bow with 0 in y our bowyering, regardless of your actual Woodworking skill. While woodworking adds to your Bowyering, it doesn't add anywhere near that much.

I'd also like to add that you don't HAVE to fell trees to practice woodworking. You can forage for branches now. Just "forage branch" in a room with trees. The branches don't go into handcarts automatically (unfortunately), so you'll probably have to set up a simple script to place branches into handcarts and repeat the foraging command if you want it to be automated.
Last edited by KianTheArcher on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I've tried FORAGE BRANCH and I think it's pretty neat. However, I wonder how it works exactly.
I can roll over 400 and be told I can't find any suitable branches, and roll 140 on my next attempt and be successful. I suspect there's 2 rolls involved, but one of them is hidden? Rolling below 80 or so results in not finding anything. Rolling over 80 on the visible roll gives you a CHANCE to find a branch, and the hidden roll determines whether or not you do, I think? Is this actually what happens? If so, what factors into this second roll?

Return to “Bowyering/Fletching”