Repairing

Dorn

Repairing

Post by Dorn »

So, there are lots of old posts, lots of mixed information from the wiki and what people think they know. Would it be possible to get a clear comment from staff as to how repairing works right now?

I'm not talking numbers of course, but things such as "Any time you repair an item, it degrades a little. This doesn't happen if you're an Artisan or reach a certain threshold in skill" or however it is.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Jirato
DEV

Re: Repairing

Post by Jirato »

If an NPC repairs the item: No change, but need to wait 24 hours (This is subject to change and probably will degrade weapons at some point in the future we do not want any weapon or armor to be "permanent")
If a PC repairs an item: CHANCE of quality loss and strength loss (strength used to determine how fast durability goes down) UNLESS (see below)

If the PC who repairs the item has the Artisan Blacksmithing skill and...
Is considered an "apprentice blacksmith": Chance of quality loss and strength loss, slightly less strength loss than non-Artisan blacksmiths.
Is considered a "journeyman blacksmith": Chance of quality loss and strength loss, slightly less strength loss than apprentice blacksmiths.
Is considered a "master blacksmith": Chance of strength loss, slightly less than journeymen blacksmiths.

There was a bug/oversight where the artisan blacksmithing ability's tiered progression didn't apply to the repair verb, so everyone with the ability was getting 0 chance of durability last and the most minor amount of strength loss possible. This has been fixed.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

As it is possible to repair without Blacksmithing abilities, has there been any consideration to allowing the specific abilities for non-Artisans conferring a small bonus to it as well? While Artisans are supposed to be the best and they are, there really should be some sort of gap between those who have spent the ability points compared to those who haven't.

Is this chance effected by skill, or is it purely a flat chance that only gets effected by the Artisan Blacksmith ability.

Also, thank you Jirato.
~Dorn
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

The fact that it is possible to repair without the relevant blacksmithing abilities is a bug and will be fixed.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Would it be possible to include messaging when there is a durability loss while repairing as well at some point?

Also, while I don't think non-Artisans should ever be close to the Artisans in regards to styles/ease, I do feel like 4 ability points and far worse at repairing is beginning to ask a lot. Pre-generalization, yeah. Everyone and their donkey was doing it. Now, you're pretty much jumping through a hurdle anyway for no actual gain. Or at least, that is how it is beginning to feel like.
~Dorn
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Dorn wrote:Would it be possible to include messaging when there is a durability loss while repairing as well at some point?
You will now be able to tell when you damage an item during repairs if your skill is high enough.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

This, is very very nice. Thank you!
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Should read "an item" not a weapon. Works on armor too, I'll edit the original post.
Skah

Post by Skah »

Thanks for the info! I was under the impression that Master Artisans were the risk-free repairers. Maybe they should be? As it stands, I'd be strongly tempted to give NPCs all my repairs from now on, which is a fair bit of business!
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

Speaking of repairs/tiers, can we have notification or an official statement on what it takes to be master blacksmith listed in the ability? While it says it's tiered, I have no idea what I'm short on/need to grind. Last I remember hearing it was 750 forging general and 300 for bladed blunt and armor, however, I'm unsure.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

merin wrote:Speaking of repairs/tiers, can we have notification or an official statement on what it takes to be master blacksmith listed in the ability? While it says it's tiered, I have no idea what I'm short on/need to grind. Last I remember hearing it was 750 forging general and 300 for bladed blunt and armor, however, I'm unsure.
Numbers are supposed to be vague I believe
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Thank you J for that update.

Would it also be possible to get a vague indication as to the durability of an item when you examine?

For example, right now it is...
It appears to be battered.
It appears to be of superior quality.

But if it was badly worn down in terms of durability over time...
It appears to be battered.
It appears to be of superior quality but has obviously seen a lot of use.

Or something along those lines.
~Dorn
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Something like that isn't possible with the way it's currently set up.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Jirato wrote:If an NPC repairs the item: No change, but need to wait 24 hours (This is subject to change and probably will degrade weapons at some point in the future we do not want any weapon or armor to be "permanent")
Sorry for the necro, but I'm being told this information is no longer accurate and I see no more recent posts or threads indicating otherwise. Can we get some GM clarity on if NPC repairs are no longer "perfect"? If this has indeed been changed, and people's items are being degraded by NPC repairs, that's pretty disappointing to not have announced. But maybe I just missed a post somewhere or my source is mistaken.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

With recent changes to forging mechanics I figure I may as well bump this again and see if we can get some information on how repairs work - especially when it comes to NPC repairs - though an update on if anything changed with PC repairs would be nice as well. The description earlier in this thread implies NPCs won't damage an item but that they would likely do so in the future.

So my question is - if you take something to an NPC, will it suffer degradation? Given that Artisans are the preferred method due to the 24-hour repair length, yet aren't always around when needed, it would be great to know what you're getting yourself into if you have to use the NPC repair option.

It might also be nice if the NPC would tell you if the repair takes down an item's quality or durability during repairs (if such a thing happens). Or even if they could warn you in their repair confirmation dialogue that damage may be incurred depending on how damaged the item is when it comes in to the shop.

Thanks for all the recent updates by the way! I've never done much with smithing, but it seems neat and has certainly gotten a lot of interest :) I look forward to seeing how it develops further and appreciate the engagement with the community in how it was implemented so far!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

As far as I know, this system hasnt changed at all since last time it was discussed.
Kent

Post by Kent »

As I mentioned more than once in chat and I think somewhere on this board as well, I had a riversteel rapier (on which I spent a lot of money and two customizations) degrade from Exquisite to Above-Average. To give you an idea of it's new current value: No one will buy it for even a third of what I originally paid for it.

This rapier was only scuffed, I believe, when I gave it to the NPC repair smith.

When I attempted to address it, I was told, essentially, "Tough. There's always a chance of a degrade."
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

The NPC part was never very clear (to me at least), so I wanted to make sure I'm understanding it right:
If an NPC repairs the item: No change, but need to wait 24 hours (This is subject to change and probably will degrade weapons at some point in the future we do not want any weapon or armor to be "permanent")
Can you explain this? No change from what? Am I right in assuming NPC repairs have no chance to degrade a weapon's durability or grade?
Kent

Post by Kent »

Kiyaani wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:44 am Am I right in assuming NPC repairs have no chance to degrade a weapon's durability or grade?
I was wrong in assuming NPC repairs have no chance to degrade a weapon's durability or grade. I found out that the hard way.

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Ok, so if there's a chance to degrade that should be clarified in-game somewhere I would think. So people know what to expect. The wording in my previous quote seems to imply there is no degradation which is why I've been asking for a more detailed answer.

Also, sorry about the pricing on that Kent :/ It seems like Artisans prices are far lower than they used to be for everything and player expectations of pricing has followed. I don't know if it's just because we had a decent gap between original Artisan price-setters and the new players or what, but it is what it is. Not necessarily bad, just a different standard. Much like how lockboxes used to be opened for tips instead of a "standard industry rate". The game evolves.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Thank you, Kiyaani. I guess in general, people won't pay more than 1000 or so for an above-average (can't blame them, I guess I wouldn't either), even with cool customizations and even with the then-rare riversteel (it recently became more attainable, making my item now even more worthless).

In CLOK, this sword is suitable now only to decorate a wall.

Eagalon

Post by Eagalon »

I can also testify that npc repair degrades the quality. I had an exquisite quality(that is superior grade) degrade after npc repair.
xavier

Post by xavier »

sorry I'm late chiming in, but there is always a chance of degrading during a repair regardless of who does it. Artisan PC's just have less of a chance if they have certain abilities. At least that's what I remember way back when there were some changes concerning repairs, which was way before generalized abilities if that gives anyone a time reference.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!

Return to “Blacksmithing”