Forging: Arrowhead Tweak?

baerden

Forging: Arrowhead Tweak?

Post by baerden »

Hello,

We were recently asked to become self sufficient at an RP event, which included making our own arrows. Unfortunately they do not sell just metal arrowheads in any shops that i'm aware of, and metal arrowheads are the optimal ammunition against nether and infested alike. I can understand creating interaction between artisans and other players by requiring us to go through an artisan to get our arrowheads, unfortunately artisans avoid messing with arrowheads because its not a skill they know and its such a time sink. I am a bit confused though, because we were specifically asked to become self sufficient in this area and going to another player to craft them doesnt make sense in that context.

This leaves me with the task of learning Forging and Forging: Arrowheads.

I ask that we perhaps take a look at how many arrowheads are produced per forging, I would suggest 3 are made per forging and here's why:

It takes one tiny bar to make 1 arrowhead, where as you can forge nails and get 5 nails per tiny bar.

The total roundtime to make one arrowhead was 271 seconds.

I have yet to actually produce a usable arrowhead, but i'm only at 10 skill, i have heard people with 3 times my skill not being able to forge a usable arrowhead.

Arrows are now lost semi-regularly in the distance, if we're asked to supply our own arrows, its not very sustainable with the amount of roundtime and timesink involved while making just one arrowhead when the bonus associated with them is negligible and they are so prone to be lost.

Knapping arrowheads from stone will only make average arrowheads now, and are completely useless against nether. If there was a stone material that could be knapped to have an effect on nether, that would be a great addition.

Thanks for reading.
Fayne

Re: Forging: Arrowhead Tweak?

Post by Fayne »

My only real argument against this the fact that Tse Gaiyan doesn't concern itself with nether or nethrim. They're more focused on the Resen. So, if you want to be self sufficient and make weapons that work against your biggest enemy, which is true in knapping broadheads, then I'd say that's all they're worried about. I don't think the leadership of Tse Gaiyan would care much whether you can make your own weapons that work against Nethrim.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
baerden

Post by baerden »

Fayne wrote:My only real argument against this the fact that Tse Gaiyan doesn't concern itself with nether or nethrim. They're more focused on the Resen. So, if you want to be self sufficient and make weapons that work against your biggest enemy, which is true in knapping broadheads, then I'd say that's all they're worried about. I don't think the leadership of Tse Gaiyan would care much whether you can make your own weapons that work against Nethrim.
We do and have been asked to defend against the nethrim on various events. I might also add that stone arrows, knapped arrowheads, can only be of average quality. Why would we handicap ourselves with such inferior equipment? It would be less time consuming and more optimal to just buy average iron tipped arrows from shops.

This still doesn't address the other major short comings of the skill in general, which is why its posted in blacksmithing, and not the Tse Gaiyan folder.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I think multiple arrowheads per bar could be good. 10-30 skill is considered "still learning the basics" as far as I'm concerned, so keep practicing! Note that arrowheads, being fairly simple, get a lot more bonus from general blacksmithing than other "specialized" forging schools, so while you'll want the specific forging skill to make passable items, you won't need as much as if you were forging a sword or axehead.

Re: Tse Gaiyan vs nethrim etc., I think it's safe to say that all capable groups are called on in large emergencies. Templar or Wyrvardn are expected to help against the infested, for instance, but that isn't their specialty so they don't have any special gear or training to deal specifically with infested. That said, I imagine Udemi would want steel arrowheads by virtue of the superior durability and lasting edge steel affords over other metal types (including iron).
The lore compels me!
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Yeah, I realized how dumb I was sounding right after I hit submit. I do think it'd be cool to have steel arrowheads available to us somehow, without needing to ask someone else to make them for us or just buy an arrow at a store.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
baerden

Post by baerden »

I just wanted to bump this thread in case anyone forgot about this due to the backlog of ToDo's.

I know with family and work the GM's have full plate and I dont expect anything immediate.

I just wanted to refresh this issue in case anyone has the inclination or time do adjust how many arrowheads are made when forging.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Been several years since the last forum update. Not sure about forging broadheads, but arrow users rejoice! Tiny bars at least make two bodkins.

It'd be cool to have a chance to accidentally make an extra one hinging on your skill level in forging:arrowheads. Great skill! Great improvements!

Return to “Blacksmithing”