Request: Intentionally crafting lower quality items

preiman
CLOK Patron

Request: Intentionally crafting lower quality items

Post by preiman »

When crafting something, would it be possible to be able to intentionally aim for a lower quality than we might normally be capable of?
It would give a few advantages to crafters in controlling what is made for a customer but in addition, it would have some RP advantages. Sometimes you don’t want that exquisite dagger or carving, sometimes a rough one actually suits your needs in the moment better and it would be nice to be able to make that.
I could see it working a little like tactics do now, just instead of setting dodge, I set well crafted and it would weight my rolls down, or even cap them to make that result more likely.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Tangela
CLOK Patron

Re: Request: Intentionally crafting lower quality items

Post by Tangela »

Would love to see this become a thing.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Need those crude rudises (rudii?) and dussacks for optimal training efficiency, am I right?
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

Maybe use them to start a modern art exhibit?

"Mmmmmnyess... as you can see here the artisan of this patchwork uneven breastplate has achieved a perfect broke baroque style. Perhaps the large gaping hole on the front is indicative of a sign of their broken heart, as if pierced by love itself."

But all jesting aside, I personally do not see this as a something that needs to be implemented for all crafting. Perhaps asking a GM for an RP item from one of your existing items would be a good idea. I also know a certain NPC that comes around once in a while to make things, "better".
It's not easy being evil...
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

Noctere wrote:Maybe use them to start a modern art exhibit?

"Mmmmmnyess... as you can see here the artisan of this patchwork uneven breastplate has achieved a perfect broke baroque style. Perhaps the large gaping hole on the front is indicative of a sign of their broken heart, as if pierced by love itself."

and now i have even more reasons to want this to be a thing
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
Kent heads north.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Started working on this but ran into a roadblock with the way the name of an item is determined before the final quality is set (with forging, at least, each system is different.) As it stands now, you'd wind up with "An exquisite bronze dagger" with a quality of 1.0 (average).

Also, with this system as the way I plan to implement it once said roadblock is cleared, will only be able to set quality limit to "average" or higher. Can't think of any reason someone would want to intentionally make a below-average item unless it's just for metagaming. If you want some worn old dagger as an RP prop, that sounds like it'd be better coming from one of those OOC merchants we have on occasion that will "find" ::cough::make::cough:: items from your character's backstory.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

Jirato wrote:Started working on this but ran into a roadblock with the way the name of an item is determined before the final quality is set (with forging, at least, each system is different.) As it stands now, you'd wind up with "An exquisite bronze dagger" with a quality of 1.0 (average).

Also, with this system as the way I plan to implement it once said roadblock is cleared, will only be able to set quality limit to "average" or higher. Can't think of any reason someone would want to intentionally make a below-average item unless it's just for metagaming. If you want some worn old dagger as an RP prop, that sounds like it'd be better coming from one of those OOC merchants we have on occasion that will "find" ::cough::make::cough:: items from your character's backstory.

honestly for my sake i was really just wanting it for those customers who didn't want to pay the prices for an exquisite item, so i could be sure to not give them one, without spending all the time, waiting for a lower roll.

thanks for looking into it.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
Kent heads north.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Also, one thought that just came to me, you can already artificially lower all your crafting rolls by being encumbered / wearing armor. Not the most reliable of methods since there is still a level of randomness involved (My method just sets a cieling), but it should give you something until I can rework the code.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!

Return to “General Professions”