Smelting formulas

Landion

Smelting formulas

Post by Landion »

You can now find a plaque in the blacksmith's workyard of basic forumlas for smelting and metallurgy.

These will allow you to create metal types which can then be used in blacksmithing or to be sold.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Landion

Post by Landion »

In addition to this update, you can now combine bars of the same type to create heavier bars to be used in forging larger weapon types.

For example:

- Smelting a copper-bar and a copper-bar, each weighing 4 lbs, yields 1 medium copper-bar, weighing 8 lbs.

- Smelting 4 bars of copper, would yield a very large copper bar, weighing 16 lbs.

These increased weights DO count toward smelting formulas. So, an incorrect weight ratio of metals would yield slag, rather than the desired material, so be cautious!
Landion

Post by Landion »

A few more updates:

I've made it so once a bar reaches the maximum weight of 24 lbs or higher (6 chunks of ore) it will no longer work in metallurgy. These exceptionally heavy bars can still be used in Blacksmithing, or can be sold. This may change later, but for now, that's the limit.

(I didn't want Jaster and Gad running around trying to make the world's largest copper-bar...)

Along with this, Blacksmithing has been updated. Some types of larger weapon types will require more material to work with, if you plan to make that weapon. If you don't have enough material on the anvil, you'll get messaging indicating such.

To remedy this, you will need smelt another bar into your current bar. Some weapons will require as much as 3 bars combined. Future releases of shields or armor types will also require significant amounts of material.

Markets also will now look at the weight of a metal bar. An 8 lbs bar will naturally sell for twice that of a 4lbs bar, and so forth.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Why does it have to be me and Gad? But.. a wise decision. (I would have been the one to try it.)
Speaking to Garith, you exclaim, "Ban' baaan'!"
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

Who knows.. every small town needs an attraction to pull in the tourists. Like the world's largest ball of string or come see Buffalo Bills necktie or try our world famous possum soup. I guess Shadgard might have the worlds largest COPPER BAR! ^_^
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
River

Post by River »

I love the updates but the most copper-ore I can get in at a time is 6 but no complaints!
---Also, I can kill you with my brain.
Landion

Post by Landion »

Yup, that is intended.

6 copper-ore chunks = 150 lbs which is max capacity for the furnaces.

They used to only hold 100 lbs, and 4 chunks of ore but I felt it was necessary to increase that a bit to help make smelting a little more dynamic.

Once you smelt down the copper to bars, you can fit more material in the furnace as you've burned off all the extra dirt and rock that wasn't ore and thus decreased the weight of the items in the furnace.

So, really you should be able to fit 37 individual 4 lbs bars into the furnace at one time. That's quite a lot of material and leaves lots of room for mixing bars of different types.

Just be sure to read the plaque first!
Landion

Post by Landion »

You will now find a bar cutter in the forge area. A single metal bar can be placed inside to be cut in half.

This can be especially useful for conserving material for smaller sized weapons.

Usage is: PULL CUTTER
Last edited by Landion on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Professions”